Need leopard gecko help

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok things seem bad:(. I couldn't get him to eat yesterday or today:(. I won't be able to get into contact with the vet tomorrow. Should I try to force feed? When I get it in the force feed position it thrashes its head around. Should I try to make that slushy thing? I'm so worried!:(

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Never seen so much bad advice and not enough people asking enough questions to really know what the problem is.

Short of me writing a long page post of instructions, go to geckoforums.net and look for the caresheet or cruise the husbandry posts. Don't ask questions though unless you want the same wrong answers here (excluding the moderators on that forum).

I have rehabbed geckos and other reptiles for the better part of 30 years, and its always dissappointing that there is still such a lack of knowledge about the hobby....

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
don't force feed, right now it would just be more stressful than anything else. good luck with the vet. again please keep us posted.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since hes not eating, how long can he go without food at his skinny size? Honestly I'm losing hope:(

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
force feeding isn't only stressful, if done wrong it can be more harmful than helpful. if you've got someone with a lot of experience that can show you the proper way to do it it MIGHT be an option. the problem is you still won't know whats causing the symptoms your gecko is showing so force feeding would not solve your problem. your gecko has lost a lot of it's mass, it doesn't have much stored up in it's body. something is causing it, reptiles don't stop eating for no reason. you can try looking for a high calorie reptile appetite stimulant, in all honesty i've seen them in pet stores but never used any pet store brand. again even if it does work it doesn't take care of the underlying cause that got him to this stage. even if you can't get him to a vet today it would be worth speaking to a reptile vet to get an idea of other options to keep the gecko alive till you can get it in to see the vet. a vet will not be able to diagnose anything from a verbal description over the phone, but they might have a few ideas to get some much needed calories into him. what are you offering beside various worms? have you tried something that moves more like crickets or roaches? sometimes the speedy and erratic movements from crickets or roaches are enough to get leopard geckos to eat a few and get those needed calories. keep us posted and good luck.

Last edited: