Need info on a venezuelen suntiger

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am thinking of getting one of these but I would like some info about them from someone who has one. like growth rate, eating habits, aggressivness, living setup for them, and if they are good display T's? thanks

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey there

great T!

check out this thread for some info:
http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9383&highlight=P.irminia

I don't find them so much agressive as defensive (there's a difference)...

they're real good eaters.. really good growers, depends on if youre a powerfeeder i suppose, too.. also environmental conditions too..

mine just dug a burrow, but there's also a tube-ish like web near a rock...

as for a caresheet, try here:
http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/pirminiac.htm

i gave mine a good tall and wide tank... so this way, it can be arboreal if it wants, and yet be terrestrial if it wants..

very beautiful to watch the colour changes, i think! I'd say they're a pretty unpredictable species as far as personality... i know some people who have really aggressive irminias and some who have a bit more 'quiet' irminias..

but it's safe to say that they're generally a defensive skittish species. They're pretty fast bolters when they need to be :)

i keep the humidity around 75% and the heat around 75-80... more humid for slings....

but other than that, nothing too too crazy or out of the ordinary..
mine are little pigs

try a tall cage, though, as a sling, i'd say... beautiful beautiful beautiful!

good luck!
peace
dave

Last edited:

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi dirtyduck. They are pretty healthy eaters, therefore fairly fast growing. They are really pissy. I have a 3/4"er that doesn't hesitate to threat pose already. They are very fast. When they are slings they tend to burrow, like pokeys. They are arboreals though, so as they grow the floor space becomes less important than height. They seem to like a moderate humidity level. As far as furnishing goes, some vermiculite mixed with peat moss, a water dish (mostly for humidity.. they seem to prefer getting water from their webs or sides of the cage during mistings), and a piece or two of corkbark angled for them to climb on and anchor webbing to. Thats about it. They are fairly quick to run.. definately not a pet rock. IMHO, they still make a great display species (when you do get to see them, its worth it). :D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My P irminia is just over an inch long end to end.
They eat very well, and will quickly get fat if you allow them to.
Mine moults frequently and grows a significant amount each time - this will be a fast-maturing spider.
They build fantastically spooky webs that they camouflage in dirt. I keep mine in a small "vial" the size of a vitamin jar or similar. The spider has created a multi-tubed web caked in peat with a large funnel entrance where it sits all day.
If I disturb it, it rears up and repeatedly strikes. They hunt at lightning speed, no cricket survives in the tank for more than 20 seconds. Be warned, this spider CAN and WILL move faster than you can think. We talk about "fast" T's on here all the time, but this thing is on another level - it warps everywhere at the speed of light.
They seem pretty tolerant of a wide range of humidities - oh, and did you know that all captive bred P irminia currently in the trade were originally hatched from a mere 3 wild-caught spiders?
Neither did I until a couple of weeks ago. Certainly puts the great "inbreeding" debate in a new light.
My girlfriend has a sub-adult and it is possibly one of the most beautiful tarantulas I've seen.
Go for it, respect it, feed it well.

You won't be disappointed.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Spiderlings of this species need to be kept at a fairly high humidity level, or have regular misting. They're prone to dessication. For the first few months, I suggest straight vermiculite in a vial or small deli cup and bi-daily misting.

bill

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what's been said so far...

It's pretty much been summed up correctly Fast as crap easily agitated won't hesitate to threaten and although they won't go out of their way to tag ya they will bite if pushed. Quick growers and what Bill said about young ones drying out fairly easy is correct. Once grown they can be kept drier but that is usually the case with slings. Fantastic species overall and hard to beat looks wise.

Phil

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just got a tiny 1/2 in sling and it has the cutest little yellow socks and bumble-bee abdomen! they are aparently born to be displayed. mine is not yet defensive and seems to like the bottle enclosure she was burchased in. it is an empty clear plastic pill-style bottle with two tiny holes drilled in to allow a little piece of string to secure some bark for it to web/hide behind. it seems to have gotten used to being picked up in its enclosure when i check on it as it makes no effort to hide. it is also a good eater.
hope this helps=D

Kristin

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kristen, that sounds like the same setup that Inland Sea Reptiles sold me mine in. You get yours from them?

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one bout an inch now. She is very fast, but has not showed any signs of aggression. She made a small burrow she hides in. She was givin to me by a friend because she was his 4th P irminia, the other three had all died before reaching an inch. Problem I was having is keeping mold from growing because of how damp and warm it is. I just moved her into a larger cage with more air circulation and I think that will help. She has beautiful markings and has molted at least 3 or 4 times this year. She is one of my favs.=D

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have got a little P. irminia, about 1". It is beautiful :D I keep this T in a little jar (about 4" - height and 2" - diameter) with a little plastic plant and cork bar in it. I think the T likes its new enclosure very much, it is webbing a lot preparing a new home for itself using also the substrate for it. It is great eater as well... I have got no problems with feeding it. It is amazing how it catches the cricket... In the air :eek: The cricket does not even touch the ground... =D It is definitely very fast T :)

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have one.It's one of the gems of my collection.She's about 1 1/2"(body length).I keep her in a beanie baby container(drilled some airholes for ventilation) with a peice of corkbark to climb and web on.She makes a somewhat tubular web on the underside of the bark.Looks cool.I find her a little on the skittish side.She eats really well(takes food readily) and is quite active.When I pop the lid she retreats to the lower half of the corkbark.I mist the container every 2-3 days to keep the humidity up a little.She's molted once since I've had her.She's thus far been really easy to care for.Get one..a definite cool addition.NiceT's....peace.