Need help with my tarantula!!

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
I know something is wrong with my tarantula juvenile. At first I thought she might just be getting ready to molt, she refuses to eat, makes an abundance of webbing everywhere, and her movements are slugish or slow. I give her enough water, I wet down her dirt in the cage occasionally and she has a little water dish that is a bottle cap I cleaned out. She webbs or the water dish. Lately I have found her with some of her legs under her body until I tap her with a paint brush and she springs to life. She still moves but I don't like the look of her legs, they seem weak. Should I put her in a tarantula ICU? Should I be worried? What should I do?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Do not put the spider in an ICU. Post pictures as soon as you can. This sounds like stress or dehydration.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What species? How big is she? Are you sure it is a female? How long have you had her? What is the enclosure like? Please post pics of tarantula and enclosure.

Without this info, it is impossible to help you.

borotasinisa

Arachnopeon
You did the right things, unfortunately often times we cant do much in such cases except providing water, heat and documenting it so we can learn from expirience. But it would help if you post a video. Is it WC maybe?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can't help, my amazing 'Wisdom Ball' is under maintenance at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience :embarrassed:

Try later saying something more, like which Theraphosidae you have and need help for, maybe with things like pics & stuff.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
What species? How big is she? Are you sure it is a female? How long have you had her? What is the enclosure like? Please post pics of tarantula and enclosure.

Without this info, it is impossible to help you.
+1, depending on species you may not need to be misting the enclosure at all. could be stress, dehydration, old MM if you're not sure it's female, plenty of variables. post up some pics of the spider and enclosure for a more accurate evaluation :)

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
@SpiderQueenLizzy
Species and housing info would really be helpful. and also pictures if at all possible. Do you know the age and sex of this T, sometimes the seller isnt 100% honest on age and condition.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My rosea does the same weird posture from time to time. It is like one side is in a death curl and other isn't. Usually she's grooming herself when she does it. Sometimes not. Also, if ur t is a grammastola, they often fast sometimes for no reason. That's not unusual. I'd say leave her alone as tough as it may be. Check in her tonight. Giver her some peace and quiet now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know something is wrong with my tarantula juvenile. At first I thought she might just be getting ready to molt, she refuses to eat, makes an abundance of webbing everywhere, and her movements are slugish or slow. I give her enough water, I wet down her dirt in the cage occasionally and she has a little water dish that is a bottle cap I cleaned out. She webbs or the water dish. Lately I have found her with some of her legs under her body until I tap her with a paint brush and she springs to life. She still moves but I don't like the look of her legs, they seem weak. Should I put her in a tarantula ICU? Should I be worried? What should I do?
Do you have ESP? If you do, then you know exactly what I'm thinking, and I don't have to provide any actual info.

IF you don't, then provide pics of the T, pics of the container it's in, from the top and side for both.

Your T could be on death's door or doing something natural based on your words.

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
20161021_155116.jpg 20161021_155026.jpg 20161021_154954.jpg 20161021_155055.jpg 20161021_155116.jpg 20161021_155026.jpg 20161021_154954.jpg 20161021_155055.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ok. So we have a C.cyaneopubescens.

Do this: stop misting and watering. Add a piece of cork bark or, if you can't, a sort of plastic hide; the fact that "they web" isn't an excuse for not offer one.

Replace the water dish with one just a bit bigger (I use 3 cm large glass water dish) move the water dish to the left part of the enclosure, where there's less web (it's more easy to clean and refill, this way). Add a couple of fake (I suggest plastic) leaves.

I'm not sure if you are aware that your 'GBB' looks perfectly fine. You have a poor set up and too much misting "mania" :) a water dish is enough for those.

Do what I've said, trust me ;-)

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Ok. So we have a C.cyaneopubescens.

Do this: stop misting and watering. Add a piece of cork bark or, if you can't, a sort of plastic hide; the fact that "they web" isn't an excuse for not offer one.

Replace the water dish with one just a bit bigger (I use 3 cm large glass water dish) move the water dish to the left part of the enclosure, where there's less web (it's more easy to clean and refill, this way). Add a couple of fake (I suggest plastic) leaves.

I'm not sure if you are aware that your 'GBB' looks perfectly fine. You have a poor set up and too much misting "mania" :) a water dish is enough for those.

Do what I've said, trust me ;-)
Thanks so much!! I was having half a heart attack trying to figure this out, this was very helpful!!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks so much!! I was having half a heart attack trying to figure this out, this was very helpful!!
You have nothing to worry. Do that, Lady. Put the water dish, and a piece of cork bark on the left part of the cage; add a couple of fake, plastic leaves. Stop misting.

:-s

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Her colours look very fresh. Abdomen plump. Looks healthy to me.

As more have suggested stop adding water unless waterdish. High humidity is known to kill this sp.

Stick a hide and some anchor points on the other side of the enclosure so it can have a place to hide and web as much as they want :)