Need help with my H. lividum

Assassin

Arachnosquire
Hi.

I need some help with my H. lividum. Well, i've recieved her ~1 week ago. I've put her in a temporary "enclosure" because i'm moving to a new location and i would have to move her again eventually...So, the container is ~6" high and i put in vermiculite substrate (about 3"). My lividum made her self a "burrow" and now she sits there and she doesn't move a bit (even if i make a gently contact she won't move). I really think she's in premolt, because she hasn't eaten since i've got her, but the burrow she made is not really good for her to molt in it (i think so).

Here are some pictures:

I'm really scared for her, because i don't want to lose her!!!!
PLEASE help.

much appreciated.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Vermiculite really isn't a good substrate for burrowing. The T will make do by webbing the sub together to give it some form, but it's far from optimal. The T would probably molt fine in that enclosure, but I'd personally change the substrate to peat or coco-fiber. I know it's only temporary, but that's just me.

Good luck.

Assassin

Arachnosquire
Thanks for your reply. So, what should i do? I can change the substrate tomorrow (need to buy it), but, as i mentioned, she won't move a bit.....

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for your reply. So, what should i do? I can change the substrate tomorrow (need to buy it), but, as i mentioned, she won't move a bit.....
It's up to you. I guess it all depends on how long the T is going to be in it. As I said, I'd personally change it to coco-fiber (expandable brick form available from petstores). Apparently peat is better for burrowing, but I find coco-fiber works just fine :). Again, this is just my opinion but it will be easier for the T to do what comes natural :).

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
shes probably stressed out and so wont eat, if you can, provide a water dish for temporary until you change the substrate. also, if you decide to feed, do it during the late hours, thats the only time mine will eat or i even see somewhat of a presence of her.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I echo the same thoughts however I think possibly, for now, it may be best to let her go and see how she ends up.

While true Vermiculite isn't the best these days it once was used most of the time and it worked then so it should have no adverse affects since it will allow you to keep the humidity up as well stave off any fungal or mites possibly (not sure of the mites)

If she's not doing so well it may be better to keep her warm, moist and undisturbed pretty much as you have her until she seems to turn around. If she has fallen ill in some regard the move and re-house may stress her further and stress takes it's toll in various ways and illnesses that can crop up.

My adult female H. lividum also doesn't do much in the way of movement at the head-end of her burrow as well and reacts much how yours has now. There is a point however when that quickly changes if she see's no possible end to the disturbance and will definitely lash out.

This is leading me to believe she may just be fine and needs some time to rest and recoup from the initial move and rehouse. Many times my T's will take weeks if not several to re-adjust to new substrate and conditions. Yours may just take a bit longer and the sign she's actually made somewhat of a burrow is a good indication things are better than you or we may believe.

Good luck with it and let us know your final outcome.

Cheers,

Assassin

Arachnosquire
I echo the same thoughts however I think possibly, for now, it may be best to let her go and see how she ends up.

While true Vermiculite isn't the best these days it once was used most of the time and it worked then so it should have no adverse affects since it will allow you to keep the humidity up as well stave off any fungal or mites possibly (not sure of the mites)

If she's not doing so well it may be better to keep her warm, moist and undisturbed pretty much as you have her until she seems to turn around. If she has fallen ill in some regard the move and re-house may stress her further and stress takes it's toll in various ways and illnesses that can crop up.

My adult female H. lividum also doesn't do much in the way of movement at the head-end of her burrow as well and reacts much how yours has now. There is a point however when that quickly changes if she see's no possible end to the disturbance and will definitely lash out.

This is leading me to believe she may just be fine and needs some time to rest and recoup from the initial move and rehouse. Many times my T's will take weeks if not several to re-adjust to new substrate and conditions. Yours may just take a bit longer and the sign she's actually made somewhat of a burrow is a good indication things are better than you or we may believe.

Good luck with it and let us know your final outcome.

Cheers,
Thank you very much for your explanation. Well i was really happy to see her at about 3am in the morning, that she was munching on a cricket, so i'm very reliefed :D

I will change the substrate today!

thanks everybody for your help!

Appreciated.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is a valid point and it did cross my mind. I've had a couple of H. lividum take 2-3 months before they finally felt comfortable enough to go underground (even with starter burrows). The fact that yours has started it's burrow in less than a week suggests to me that the T is more comfortable with it's surroundings than you may think.

Again, I would say it all depends on how long you're planning on keeping her in the temporary container. If it's a couple of weeks then I can't see a problem. If it's going to be months, then I'd personally change the sub :).

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Again, I would say it all depends on how long you're planning on keeping her in the temporary container. If it's a couple of weeks then I can't see a problem. If it's going to be months, then I'd personally change the sub :).
Totally agree.. If the health of the T seems fine after a few days to another week I would change out the substrate as well. They are, dare I say, emotional beasts and various species tend to take longer to acclimate to new surroundings.

My H. lividium is always like this when I change out sub or re-house yet my B. smithi only takes days.