Need help sexing G.pulchra please.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm terrible at sexing N/W terrestrials..
Aprox 5 inch specimen. I'm honestly clueless on this one

@G. pulchra

@cold blood

@EulersK

@Trenor

I have four images in different angles with flash and without it. Thanks for your help guys..

I'm not trying to exclude anyone and everyone is welcome to offer there opinions but I know these members are much more knowledgeable on the sexing of NW's than I am.. Sorry if I overlooked anyone. 20170507_185340.jpg sorry this is duplicate photo 20170507_185340.jpg 20170507_185314.jpg 20170507_185131.jpg 20170507_185303.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It looks male just from the vent, but the stocky nature of the spider and the size makes me think female.

My vote is for female, but just barely.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It looks male just from the vent, but the stocky nature of the spider and the size makes me think female.

My vote is for female, but just barely.
Maybe this will help 20170507_185303.jpg Thanks BTW bro

Damn already have that photo up. Sorry busy as hell right now

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That makes me think even more male :rofl: Well, the males don't get much larger than this. So you'll know one way or another with the next molt.
That's two votes for male herw and another from a friend.. Thanks man.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm terrible at sexing N/W terrestrials..
Aprox 5 inch specimen. I'm honestly clueless on this one

@G. pulchra

@cold blood

@EulersK

@Trenor

I have four images in different angles with flash and without it. Thanks for your help guys..

I'm not trying to exclude anyone and everyone is welcome to offer there opinions but I know these members are much more knowledgeable on the sexing of NW's than I am.. Sorry if I overlooked anyone. View attachment 239498 sorry this is duplicate photo View attachment 239498 View attachment 239499 View attachment 239500 View attachment 239501
Sorry man. I suck at vent sexing. I you held a gun to my head and made me pick I'd say male though.

Any idea how long till it molts next?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Here's my boy's furrow for comparison. This is molt sexed 100% male IMG_0691.JPG

I don't have a pic of the girls, for some reason. I'll see if I can find one... I know I took a pic before.

Edit: found one of a juvie female I used to have: pulchra female.jpeg

See how much darker/denser the male is?

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks everyone.. I just got him to some friend's of mine that have bred G.pulchra before and they are positive it is male as well. Luckily I got him at a great price and left there place with a 7-1/2 female stirmi that I have been eyeballing for a few days now. He will be bred with there females as soon as he matures. It was a Win Win for every one!

I'll post some pics of my new beast when I get some time tomorrow..

Thanks again everyone I really do appreciate the help you guys give me when I need it..

@Trenor I figure you were pretty good to hit up because you work with a decent amount of N/W terrestrials unless I have that completely confused also.. It's possible I have been way too busy to think straight.. Honestly when I saw the T my gut said male but I wasn't really sure..

The seller tried convincing me other wise but it didn't matter either way.. Male pulchra for a female stirmi or female pulchra for a few female poecs from my other friend. It was gone as soon as I paid for it either way. Lol.

The seller said it had recently gone off feed and it looks to be in mid-heavy premolt.. Real brown with a huge abdomen.. I would say he is maybe penultimate or maybe two molts away from mature at most..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Here's my boy's furrow for comparison. This is molt sexed 100% male View attachment 239512

I don't have a pic of the girls, for some reason. I'll see if I can find one... I know I took a pic before.

Edit: found one of a juvie female I used to have: View attachment 239513

See how much darker/denser the male is?
Absolutely! And the females furrow seems to protude out a little almost like a small bump. His furrow is completely flat.. Thanks for the comparison.. I really appreciate it!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Looks male from my angle, also the 4th pic posted shows the pedi palps and they appear to be larger than normal? do they look like that in person ie; wider/thicker/no even taper compare to other feet? That would indicate its a penultimate male.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Looks male from my angle, also the 4th pic posted shows the pedi palps and they appear to be larger than normal? do they look like that in person ie; wider/thicker/no even taper compare to other feet? That would indicate its a penultimate male.
Deffinately a male I traded him off to a few friends that breed this species. They felt it was male from my pics but were insure. When they saw it in person they could immediately tell it is a male..

Good eye! I see what your saying about the tips of the palps.. I can't compare him to the picture because he is with my friends now so that he can make some beautiful baby's in the near future!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@Trenor I figure you were pretty good to hit up because you work with a decent amount of N/W terrestrials unless I have that completely confused also.. It's possible I have been way too busy to think straight.. Honestly when I saw the T my gut said male but I wasn't really sure..
I do have quite a few of them but I'm more often wrong than right when trying to vent sex Ts in general. It's got to the point i don't bother with sexing unless I have a molt. :)