Need Help In Keeping SilverFish As Pets...>

DampNoodle

Arachnopeon
Hi Happy Holidays!
I want to thank everyone for their advice but I would still love reading whatever experiences you might want to share about keeping silverfish insects as pets! I was horrified to do a google search looking for info. on how to take care of them as pets, only to find clear cut concise "instructions" on how to kill them instead. And then a million products specifically came up that kill them and roaches. How can people be so heartless and uncaring towards a creature that means them no harm? And in reality, makes almost as good of a pet as an actual swimming fish. But much easier to keep!

As an update, my 11 surviving fish are mostly doing great! Half of them have molted. Some of them a few times already! However, NONE of them have grown at all! In fact, some appear to have shrunk :( I fear they will never grow any larger than how I found them :( But one albino fish I got has been a problem from day one. He just refuses to move around or do anything. He won't play with me, he won't take the water 90% of the time, he just won't do anything. I have had to literally stick him with some pointy toilet paper cylinders I made. That's pretty sad. I hate to do that (as you can feel the pain they go through when they are touched) but he and this one other fish have just gone limp many times. I'm thinking of getting rid of him. Just throwing him back to the wall crevices where he came from and let him make do. He doesn't seem very happy here... But conversely I might use him as a guinea pig for the foods suggested here and substrate. He's a disappointment. The baby fish has surprisingly kept on doing well. I've lost every other baby to sickness. He's a tough one, like many of my other small fish! My favorite superfish is going well but now has some company in the fact that about 3 others have gone super as well. So now a few of my fish are going 100 mph (and loaded with new found energy) inexplicably. So, again, as precaution I give them all water everyday. But as soon as I see any sign of irregular erratic behavior/movements I take heart... I have truly built a bond with most of my fish and I really love having them as pets!
Hi there! I've had the same problem, I just caught a silverfish that I found on my bathroom wall. Weirdly enough, It was in the sun?.. But anyway, I put it in a large container, poked three holes in the lid, soaked a cotton ball for water, and gave it some oats. I've seen it eat the oats, but so far I haven't seen it near the cotton ball at all! It seemed like it avoided it.. I'm just concerned now because I've went upstairs to check the bathroom again and I don't see more :( Has someone had the same problem before? Am I doing something wrong or do I not have something right?..

LucaBeast

Arachnopeon
just acquired a Silverfish myself! Found this thread doing research. Currently have a native living terrarium and popped the little guy in there last week.
Hes doing well so far, basically hangs out on a stick all day, chews on said stick, and poops a lot Lol.
Is that positive behavior? I mostly am concerned with its happiness. It seems happy, but I’m not sure if they are supposed to be more active. I like to think he’s just vibin, but I honestly don’t know anything about their behavior.
Regardless I can continue to share where this goes if you guys would like, there seems to be little info on silverfish husbandry so I’d be happy to contribute my experience in this type of enclosure.
F126432A-D209-4A52-9284-C0C6F819D91D.jpeg

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Have a small culture going of what I believe are Lepisma saccharina, they seem to like it pretty humid and dark, and dislike mold a lot, their babies get caught in it really easy... -_-

schmiggle

Arachnoking
just acquired a Silverfish myself! Found this thread doing research. Currently have a native living terrarium and popped the little guy in there last week.
Hes doing well so far, basically hangs out on a stick all day, chews on said stick, and poops a lot Lol.
Is that positive behavior? I mostly am concerned with its happiness. It seems happy, but I’m not sure if they are supposed to be more active. I like to think he’s just vibin, but I honestly don’t know anything about their behavior.
Regardless I can continue to share where this goes if you guys would like, there seems to be little info on silverfish husbandry so I’d be happy to contribute my experience in this type of enclosure.
View attachment 352316
Generally, with a cold blooded animal, my rule of thumb is--if it's spending most of its time chilling, it's probably happy. Ants spend 3/4 of their time doing nothing, and they're among the most active invertebrates.

LucaBeast

Arachnopeon
Generally, with a cold blooded animal, my rule of thumb is--if it's spending most of its time chilling, it's probably happy. Ants spend 3/4 of their time doing nothing, and they're among the most active invertebrates.
Sweet. I was hoping as much judging from past experience with other inverts. Most footage I’ve seen of them In captivity so far they’re quite zippy and active, so I wasn’t too sure what to expect from it.

Its still vibing lol. Live vivarium life seems to suit it well so far. It beginning to explore the enclosure a bit more and seeks sunspots to bask in. I find that part pretty interesting since they’re renowned for living in dark spaces. Overall I’m happy I get to look at it and appreciate it more than I thought I was going to be able to haha.

Zloi

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone.. found this thread after deciding to keep a silverfish myself. The thing is, now i have a problem. So I've had this guy for 20 days, kept him in a plastic container about 7x5x2in, with coconut fiber substrate on the bottom, some sugar and flour in a little "bowl", and scrunched up newspaper for a hiding spot as well as food. I also lightly spayed his enclosure with water once a day or so. Now onto the problem - I just checked on him and found him laying motionlessly on the newspaper. When I picked it up, he wasn't even gripping onto it and simply fell down. I think he is still alive at the moment, but I am sure he will die in the next hour if not sooner.. his legs are twitching slightly, but no other movement at all. I really don't know what happened to him and want to find out what I did wrong. He was doing great before, chilling on the newspaper and running around quite actively if I disturb him. I did notice that he somehow broke off a piece of a whisker before, but he molted right after and was completely fine. His color was also nice and vivid, silver-black after molting. I did notice, however, that now one of his "tails" is broken off, and on his abdomen, on the second-to-last fragment of his body (on the same side as the broken tail) is a dark patch that kinda looks like a wound. Anyone knows if that might be the reason for his condition now? And if so, how did that even happen? I don't understand how he could hurt himself in that container.. :(

I removed everything from his container for now, and placed him on a soaked piece of a newspaper with some sugar sprinkled around, but I doubt that'll do anything :( Btw I've never kept anything like that before, so any tips on keeping such creatures that might not be related to my problem right now are welcome anyways

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I did notice that he somehow broke off a piece of a whisker before, but he molted right after and was completely fine. His color was also nice and vivid, silver-black after molting. I did notice, however, that now one of his "tails" is broken off, and on his abdomen, on the second-to-last fragment of his body (on the same side as the broken tail) is a dark patch that kinda looks like a wound. Anyone knows if that might be the reason for his condition now? And if so, how did that even happen? I don't understand how he could hurt himself in that container.. :(
Inverts don't get bruises or scabs like mammals. A dark patch is more likely to be fungal, which can be because the humidity/ventilation isn't right. I don't know exactly what this animal needs as I've not kept them.

There are other inverts that would make easier starters (cockroaches, mealworms, woodlice/isopods... a lot of stuff is much more hardy).

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Silverfish like it very humid, if you're keeping them too dry they will die rather quickly...

Lila Lockhart

Arachnopeon
I wonder if the OP is still keeping silverfish?

I've always had a fondness for the little pests. I saw an adult today and figured it might make good mantis food, so I caught it in a little container. Upon seeing another, juvenile in my bathroom, I decided... why not try keeping them? It's that or disposing of them, as I don't want them breeding in my house, which the baby makes me think they might have.

I've put them in a little critter keeper and have set it up much like how I'd set up an isopod enclosure - cocopeat, a bit of sphagnum on the moist side, some leaf little on the 'dry' side (not so dry yet, I had no regular soil, only some pre-moistened cocopeat, but hopefully they stay dry enough in the litter). Put in a fishflake, a dry mealworm, and a small sprinkle of cereals. I'm going to try keeping them like isopods that aren't as fond of moisture (as people seem to have mixed views on this point for silverfish).

I'm not sure if I'll ever see my new pals again as they are now hiding in the leaf litter. But I'll certainly be interested to keep an eye on this thread, and provide updates if anything happens.

Silverfish90

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

Decided I'd join and leave a post for all you nice people out there struggling with keeping silverfish as pets. I decided about 5 months back that I would start keeping them as pets because every few weeks I'd find one trapped in my bathroom light or in my my bathroom sink and I find them very interesting. I presume they are in the ceiling somewhere above my bathroom, they end up in my sink because they fall through the extractor fan which is above the sink and my bathroom light is beside the extractor fan so that's how they are ending up there. I've been very successful with them, they are all alive and thriving. I even found some teeny tiny nymphs trapped in the light and they are growing and doing very well, so with out waffling on any longer, I'll explain how I keep them and what I feed them.

I keep them in a plastic tub that's 6inches high, I find that's plenty space to prevent them getting out. I cut up tissue and the cardboard from the loo roll into tiny pieces to make a substrate for them. I then rolled up the loo roll cardboard, rolling up so there are 3-4 layers and space inbetween each layer for a place for the silverfish to live and hangout. I have about 4 of those in the tub and the silverfish love spending their time in there, they spend most of their time during the day in there and they hang out together in those. Hi

For food I have thrown in a small bit of cotton, some of my dogs food, they can eat the substrate also but their absolute favourite is the Coco Pops white chocolate cereal I put in. I bought it for my son who didn't like the taste at all so it's silverfish food now. Whenever I find a silverfish in the bathroom light or the sink and I throw them into their new home, they instantaneously start munching on the cocopops cereal. I find it very cute and love watching them chow down. I put the food selection (dog food and cereal) in one corner of the tub so that I change it for them easily without disturbing them. I change that once a month or so.

Then I have rain water in a water sprayer that I got really cheap in a value store, I use rain water so the chemicals from the tap water don't do them any damage and I spray a few sprays of mist on them every couple days just so they have some water and moisture. I keep the tub in my bathroom resting behind the toilet so that it's dark and humid environment for them. And that's pretty much it. I have about 12 in there now and they are all alive still so I hope I'll have eggs and babies one day soon.

I hope that information helps some of you. :) any questions, just ask. I'll be happy to help.

Peace.

lifeforlife

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have kept a silverfish for countless months now, and he seems quite healthy.

He stays in a glass preserves jar with the lid on, but not screwed on so that air can come in. There is a paper towel in his jar that I regularly moisturize which he can hide under and climb on.

I have tried many foods, but I feel that the ones that work the best are corn starch and grains. There are a few grains in his jar and a small spoon of corn starch. The corn starch is moldy, but I read that they like moldy things so I just left it like that. Often times when I come to visit him, he's lying on the corn starch. I don't know if he's eating, but he's been healthy for a while, so I assume he's eating.

He's all alone right now, and I'm going to find him a friend someday. It's hard to find them when other members of my household consider silverfish pests, and always kill them upon sight.

Any tips on where I can find silverfish? There are none that I know of in my house, and I can't go crawling around in the attic, so I'm thinking about an outdoor place.

Thanks,
A

SilverfishMom

Arachnosquire
Hi! I don't know if you have found your silverfish yet, but if you haven't, I have suggestions. I found my silverfish living inside an old parachute outside. I read online that they like closets. Look under rugs in your house. Just this morning, I actually found a silverfish under a brick. They seem to come when your not looking for one. 🪳🪳

SilverfishMom

Arachnosquire
A few years back my house was infested with Silverfish. Literally everywhere. Any time you walked into a room or you spent any time stationary in a room you would be about 70% that you would see one (sometimes two or three or four). It was insane. Back then I would have said I would gladly send you all of the ones I had. In fact, it got so bad I almost considered (gasp) spraying.
For a while I would throw them in as Mantis food for my Mantids.

Long story short their numbers dwindled over time, until today not one exists that I have seen. I forgot about them until this thread popped up.

@sean2222 I am no expert on Silverfish but I can tell you this. I noticed that they used to eat the bird seed hulls that ended up on the floor from my lovely feathered friends. This was in my room where the birds were. In other rooms of the house I would not see them eating anything, just wandering around (presumably on the hunt for food). Like others have said, I too believe they go after weird starchy things like wallpaper glue and what not. I have seen them gnawing on paper too if I recall correctly. The mighty Wikipedia article on Silverfish also describes how their scientific name Lepisma saccharina refers to their preference for starches.
I am not sure on water. I am assuming they would drink droplets.
I believe they prefer it more on the humid/moist side. What are the Enclosure conditions that you are attempting to kee them in?
Sounds like they aren’t thriving, so I’m in the boat of increase habitat size, provide substrate and hides and don’t overcrowd them.
In the habitat, you should also include a little piece of a book binding if it comes off of a book. I also crumple up a scrap of paper into a ball. They also like to chew on fabric. If you have an old clothing item, you can cut out a little piece and use it as a chew toy. :D

SilverfishMom

Arachnosquire
Have you tried putting any substrate into their cups for better keeping of moisture, like a bit of earth or something? Some hiding spots may also be nice since I only see them come out at night so I doubt they enjoy light very much. I keep isopods and most of them run away when they get disturbed by light.
Idk what everyone else's opinion is on this but I doubt they need exercise, they're probably the happiest when you leave them alone :d They're not hamsters and I know for some inverts the stress of being handled can shorten their lifespan too.
If you put a rock in there habitat
I agree. Try a big plastic box of sorts or something.
And give substrate a go. I think they would benefit from hiding spots and the substrate keeping a bit of moisture, I think especially for young that might be necessary. My isopods have all their babies hidden inside the substrate while the adults usually wander on top of it. Maybe that could be important?
Also try feeding some fish food like flakes and gammarus (as a calcium source)
V

SilverfishMom

Arachnosquire
Have you tried putting any substrate into their cups for better keeping of moisture, like a bit of earth or something? Some hiding spots may also be nice since I only see them come out at night so I doubt they enjoy light very much. I keep isopods and most of them run away when they get disturbed by light.
Idk what everyone else's opinion is on this but I doubt they need exercise, they're probably the happiest when you leave them alone :d They're not hamsters and I know for some inverts the stress of being handled can shorten their lifespan too.
If you put a rock in there habitat
I agree. Try a big plastic box of sorts or something.
And give substrate a go. I think they would benefit from hiding spots and the substrate keeping a bit of moisture, I think especially for young that might be necessary. My isopods have all their babies hidden inside the substrate while the adults usually wander on top of it. Maybe that could be important?
Also try feeding some fish food like flakes and gammarus (as a calcium source)
If you have a rock in the habitat, spraying it with water makes a good water bowl.

SilverfishMom

Arachnosquire
I wonder if the OP is still keeping silverfish?

I've always had a fondness for the little pests. I saw an adult today and figured it might make good mantis food, so I caught it in a little container. Upon seeing another, juvenile in my bathroom, I decided... why not try keeping them? It's that or disposing of them, as I don't want them breeding in my house, which the baby makes me think they might have.

I've put them in a little critter keeper and have set it up much like how I'd set up an isopod enclosure - cocopeat, a bit of sphagnum on the moist side, some leaf little on the 'dry' side (not so dry yet, I had no regular soil, only some pre-moistened cocopeat, but hopefully they stay dry enough in the litter). Put in a fishflake, a dry mealworm, and a small sprinkle of cereals. I'm going to try keeping them like isopods that aren't as fond of moisture (as people seem to have mixed views on this point for silverfish).

I'm not sure if I'll ever see my new pals again as they are now hiding in the leaf litter. But I'll certainly be interested to keep an eye on this thread, and provide updates if anything happens.
Try glue and sugar for food. 👍

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
I haven't been able to culture silverfish. I've kept them alive for a while by offering them torn-up corrugated cardboard to live in. I think they may eat the starch in the glue or something. Despite keeping them alive for a couple months on a couple of occasions, I've never been able to get them to reproduce in captivity. I think it must be rather difficult or they'd be as popular as firebrats which I continue to culture with not too much trouble for several years running now. They aren't big feeders. I offer a few fish food pellets, a bit of marshmallow and maybe a little bit of carrot. This is like once per month and then a very light misting of the enclosure.
Hi, I am looking to culture firebrats as live food for mantids, I am wondering if you can tell me what your workflow is with caring for them? So far someone has told me to use kitchen towel as a base that can be moistened and they can lay their eggs on and drink from? Ground oats or whole as food and placed near a radiator? Am I on the right track?

wormstand

Arachnopeon
I recently caught two silverfish (they just appeared in the spider-catching cup I keep in my windowsill) and didn't want to kill or release them, and this thread was one of the only ones I was able to find about keeping them as pets. I even tried my go-to isopod group and none of the keepers there really had any experience or ideas outside of 'they're impossibly hearty so you can do whatever you want'. I've had mine for about a month now and have upgraded their setup, and also lost (literally lost, no clue where it went) the younger of the two I found.

I'm currently using a medium-sized critter keeper that has about 1/2" of gardener's charcoal at the bottom, and about 3" of damp peat moss. I added a culture of temperate springtails to the substrate because their appetites help to inhibit mold growth in the tank (they have very similar natural habitats and dietary needs to silverfish anyway). I do a damp side and a dry side- the dry side has a piece of egg crate that the silverfish hangs out in during the day that provides a nice hide for it- I've seen this noted as crucial by people who keep silverfish and firebrats as feeders. I literally just used 4 little cups' worth of crate from my regular groceries. The damp side I mist with filtered water daily (I run dehumidifiers in my house so it will dry out quickly), and I make sure to leave droplets on the sides of the enclosure for drinking purposes. I keep a cheap hygrometer above the tank, and I try to keep the ambient humidity above the tank between 37% and 45%. I keep the whole tank in one of the cubes in my large Ikea bookshelf so there's no direct sunlight, and very little light in general, as silverfish do not enjoy excessive light. Every couple of days I sprinkle 1-3 Aqueon Goldfish Food flakes, a bit of spirulina, a grain of uncooked white rice, half an uncooked rolled oat, or a confetti-sized piece of brown paper that has been painted on both sides with wheatpaste (it seems to LOVE wheatpasted cardboard, but this molds really quickly in the tank so I can only offer a little). I also see the silverfish munching on the substrate- which makes sense since their natural habitat is leaf litter.

I originally had the fish in a very small container, and I found that when it was out it seemed stressed and was obsessively climbing the walls (keeping it damp enough AND providing enough hides in that space also lead to mold quickly. The larger container allows for the silverfish to do more normal animal stuff- it has space to roam, and I know a bug can's seem 'happy' or 'unhappy', but it seems much more acclimated to this habitat. My next ideal steps will be adding a little sanitized leaf litter, and a piece of shale that it can hide under or climb over. They don't want to be in open space, and I think a variety of hides and terrain will mean improved quality of life. I'm doing my best to provide the kind of habitat it would thrive in in the wild- which means I really only see every few days in the middle of the night, and I usually need to use a flashlight to get a peek- but I think it helps avoid undue stress to the animal. They really want to be in a dark and hidden space.

I caught my first two by chance and now I'm desperately trying to catch more, because I'm absolutely fascinated by them now. I can't even find good places to reliably buy a few more to bolster my collection. I've noticed that when I caught mine the coloration was more like a firebrat- a mix of light and dark brown, but it has much more of a silver sheen to it as well. I've been worried that it was the kind of wasting issue that OP mentioned, but it seems healthy and quick still.