need help i have a lot of questions. new to tarantulas. trying to learn everything i can

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A mass of something (in this case spider web) without any specific shape.

Ah ah, hands down a classic! The Blob, as a monster, had always his dignity... a nice metaphore (IMO) of modern society that swallow everything :)

Wish to see a kinda crossover movie where Blob fights against Bronson, the Vietnam war veteran of Jim Muro 'Street Trash' movie :angelic:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
yea, at their size a 10 gallon is not needed, though do keep it around for later, because at Full mature size, a 10 gallon can be used if you add a LOT more substrate(not recommending you do but its up to personal preference, usually the smaller the better, especially in the younger stages of growth). i have my B. Albo in a 10 gallon, BUT she is a fully matured female pushing just past 6" and a female(She very well might be in this thing for the next 10-20 years if all goes well) and the important part is Lots and lots of substrate.
i have about ~8 inches of substrate, leaving a good 4-5 inches of free space, enough for her to get out and walk, but not enough of a gap to do any damage.
i did this because my B. Albo is a master excavator and currently has about 3 Different tunnel systems she has built throughout, using almost every inch of substrate in the tank to do so. but again i also don't plan to have to rehouse her again, unless its to downsize once she's a little older and not nearly as active with her decorating as now, in her freshly Matured and active life stage.
don't worry about "too much" substrate with this species as with an Albo, there is almost no such thing, if theres too much, trust me, they Will gladly move it around for you haha.

as far as handling, there is a lot of debate on wether they like it or not, or werther you should or not, but the main thing to remember is, It really does not help them in any way and it can only cause possible harm or a Lost spider if she does decide to make a run for it. it can be fun for the owner yes, but you gotta remember with the Structure of the Tarantulas brain, it really cant comprehend "fun" for the most part, at most id say the T may be "curious" about the suddenly squishy and very warm ground its now standing on, and thats about it.

and thats GOOD that you do worry. as a New owner its better to worry about doing it right, then to not care. so you are already 2 steps in the right direction(the first being to ask for help on here)

and while it may feel like scolding, don't take it personally, if anything its more the tone being caused from a lot of the more experienced Keepers answering these same questions usually 1-2 times a day. it gets somewhat tedious after a while of filling out the same long paragraphs of information on how to keep and handle Ts for new owners. which is not always your fault! obviously in this case, a lot could ahem already been handled had the person who sold you the tarantula known more themselves or been a responsible seller and provided the correct info/set up to begin with. obviously its not your fault for listening to what you thought was "good" info. i know i was at one point a victim of that as well! just keep a light heart when reading on here, as most of the info really is amazing and good info!

I've gone almost solely of the info of the more experienced members here in the beginning and I've yet to have a serious incident and am now the proud owner and raiser of more then dozen unique species. so in the end, take it in good faith and it will reward you with lot of living tarantulas!

and ya with Albo's, after they eat they will usually sit their for a bit. as for it hanging upside down, that is not good, and could be a sign of stress BUT don't try to move him when he's upside down. its better to let him climb down then try to move him and him get spooked and fall.
Luckily you are not my teacher when it comes to punctuation in the English language! That would make my English go from bad to ten times worse ;)

sarahloveshantzel

Arachnopeon
I just got my first T recently as well, also a terrestrial that can burrow though mine has yet to show interest in doing so. Yours looks pretty nice. Did you name it?

I bought a Sterilite tub at Walmart. Like 5 bucks for a good sized one. Easy to carry if I need to move it, no screen on the lid so she can't hang off of it, and you can drill holes into the sides for cross ventilation. I put up a couple pictures of it in my thread below. It's pretty basic. Filled it a little over a third of the way up.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/so-i-bought-my-first-t-finally-all-input-appreciated.293953/

As for the way your T sits there sometimes, mine does it too. Just seems to be a natural thing.
Yes his name is hantzel. Im going to add more substrate within the next couple of days.

Attachments

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Luckily you are not my teacher when it comes to punctuation in the English language! That would make my English go from bad to ten times worse ;)
ahh yes, my punctuation is not at its best in these posts.
more often then not, I am usually only on here while at work, and thus my responses, while being well guided, are not usually Properly edited and read through before posting. i will usually go back and post-edit my replies if there are any major spelling or grammatical errors, but if its not something that will usually break the post, i leave it as is.

sarahloveshantzel

Arachnopeon
I just got my first T recently as well, also a terrestrial that can burrow though mine has yet to show interest in doing so. Yours looks pretty nice. Did you name it?

I bought a Sterilite tub at Walmart. Like 5 bucks for a good sized one. Easy to carry if I need to move it, no screen on the lid so she can't hang off of it, and you can drill holes into the sides for cross ventilation. I put up a couple pictures of it in my thread below. It's pretty basic. Filled it a little over a third of the way up.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/so-i-bought-my-first-t-finally-all-input-appreciated.293953/

As for the way your T sits there sometimes, mine does it too. Just seems to be a natural thing.
..i appreciate what you said. I originally went with the intention of buying a ball python(which my 8 yr old insisted upon bc she loves snakes).sBut they all looked sickly. Or overpriced. On a whim i chose hantzel. Put of about 100. Hes currently on the glass. And "the blob" has grown another inch. All in all. Im confidant it will be allright. My bf wanted a tegu..... Thats probably whats next

Xafron

Arachnosquire
..i appreciate what you said. I originally went with the intention of buying a ball python(which my 8 yr old insisted upon bc she loves snakes).sBut they all looked sickly. Or overpriced. On a whim i chose hantzel. Put of about 100. Hes currently on the glass. And "the blob" has grown another inch. All in all. Im confidant it will be allright. My bf wanted a tegu..... Thats probably whats next
If I've learned anything here, it's that you really don't need to fuss too much with a tarantula. So I'll bet yours will do fine.

I was just talking to another member recently about reptiles. I've fantasized about having a tegu or monitor often haha.

sarahloveshantzel

Arachnopeon
If I've learned anything here, it's that you really don't need to fuss too much with a tarantula. So I'll bet yours will do fine.

I was just talking to another member recently about reptiles. I've fantasized about having a tegu or monitor often haha.
Well a tegu might grow to be too big for us. But. I know, ive become really interested in tarantulas. The past couple of months

Attachments

Leila

Arachnobaron
ahh yes, my punctuation is not at its best in these posts.
more often then not, I am usually only on here while at work, and thus my responses, while being well guided, are not usually Properly edited and read through before posting. i will usually go back and post-edit my replies if there are any major spelling or grammatical errors, but if its not something that will usually break the post, i leave it as is.
King of the run-on sentences ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She chose her T out of about 100 others. Pretty sure that's what she meant.
I really hope that is what she meant, because 100 dollars is waaay to much for this species.

@op
Lol, you went to get a python and came home with a Theraphosidae??
Prepare to come home with more and more spiders...these beasties are addictive ;)

sarahloveshantzel

Arachnopeon

Well a tegu might grow to be too big for us. But. I know, ive brcome really interested in tarantulas. The past couple of months
....."out of about 100" was at work.....busy busy

TRection

Arachnoknight
Hi guys. Hantzel is doing great. But tonight he is dripping some sort of liquid out of his mouth. Any insight.
Unfortunately due to the low quility of the picture the only thing i can actually see is that there still needs more substrate, 2-3 inches (what that appears to be) isn't enough. If my measurements are correct (and please correct me if i am wrong) that ten gallon tank is about 12" tall, with the amount of sub in that tank there's a pretty long way to fall. I am very new to this hobby too and adding more sub was the first lesson i was taught by the good people of this forum :)

sarahloveshantzel

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately due to the low quility of the picture the only thing i can actually see is that there still needs more substrate, 2-3 inches (what that appears to be) isn't enough. If my measurements are correct (and please correct me if i am wrong) that ten gallon tank is about 12" tall, with the amount of sub in that tank there's a pretty long way to fall. I am very new to this hobby too and adding more sub was the first lesson i was taught by the good people of this forum :)
.. I added more. Its around 6. He seems to be happy and thriving right now.