Can you ease my mind

• Yes, it's Fine.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • In my opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I need confirmation of my Pink Toe being ok. I've seen it in these posts as "skinny" abdomen. I wanna confirm she doesn't have this. She ate around a month ago ; 1lrg an 1med. cricket. I've had her roughly 2yrs now. 3 succesful an healthy molts in that time. She has 3 water location for hydration, I clean them 2 times a day. She has some hair loss from rehousing. I can't tell if she's in premolt bc she's got alot of hiding places. I can see though where the hair loss is , its dark in color ....idk if that's poor light even in the day or just part or her color. Now I've read that they're able to go a decent while without food. I just don't wanna chance it. I have 3 dubia roachs that she can hunt. Sorry for the bad quality, she was on the lid. Please ease my mind.

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Doesn't look bad to me. I believe the general rule of thumb is that the abdomen should be 1-1.5 times the size of the Carapace.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, as you said, the quality of the pics isn't the best but for what I can see the specimen seems (seems) ok.

I'm curious a bit about the enclosure: can you upload a picture of that (entirely) if you can?
Another thing, why change the 'water location' (you mean the water dish?) two times a day? That's not needed, just refill the water dish when is empty, or take out that for a clean when really dirt (substrate, prey remains inside).

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
Well, as you said, the quality of the pics isn't the best but for what I can see the specimen seems (seems) ok.

Another thing, why change the 'water location' (you mean the water dish?) two times a day? That's not needed, just refill the water dish when is empty, or take out that for a clean when really dirt (
Yes i take the dishes out to clean I do not change location.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes i take the dishes out to clean I do not change location.
Why more than one? But anyway, that's not needed, man. It isn't the water for cats/dogs etc that needs to be always clean and fresh, uh :angelic:

When/if the water dish for your Theraphosidae is full and 'clean' that's enough.

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
When/if the water dish for your Theraphosidae is full and 'clean' that's enough.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I guess Im being overly thorough. Here are some possibly better pictures. The circled areas are where the water goes, ground lvl . Middle and one off screen. The wood you see was soaked for a 48 period. It was some long nights but bolied water soaked the wood n repeat. Then let dry for 2 full days before use.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I believe the general rule of thumb is that the abdomen should be 1-1.5 times the size of the Carapace
This just isn't the case. A thin abdomen is normal just after a molt...a Plump abdomen is normal at the back end of a molt cycle, and everything in between is also normal.

The natural life cycle is...molt, have a thin abdomen, plump up, get fat, molt and start the process over again.

One cannot maintain a certain size abdomen with any tarantula, and size isn't an indicator of health....shriveled abdomen, that's a different story.

Yes, some adults, particularly terrestrials, can become too fat, but the risk isn't a health one, its more of a falling risk...its not like a super fat t is gonna be prone to heart attacks or diabetes....they just need to molt, and require less food to survive.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Alright, I guess Im being overly thorough. Here are some possibly better pictures. The circled areas are where the water goes, ground lvl . Middle and one off screen. The wood you see was soaked for a 48 period. It was some long nights but bolied water soaked the wood n repeat. Then let dry for 2 full days before use.
I think that there's no need for three water dish. A water dish on the ground is enough. I also think that the enclosure (an enclosure I can't figure out well, seems Exo Terra but IMO isn't one) you offered is seriously giant, for such a little spider.

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
This just isn't the case. A The natural

One cannot maintain a certain size abdomen with any tarantula, and size isn't an indicator of health....shriveled abdomen, that's a different story. and require less food to survive.
Well she doesn't have a shriveled abdomen, so that's good. Ive been going from feeding her crickets, to now feeding dubia roches. Which i feed them small vegetable scraps, some nutrion food specifically for those type of roaches an cauliflower.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Here are some possibly better pictures. The circled areas are where the water goes, ground lvl . Middle and one off screen. The wood you see was soaked for a 48 period. It was some long nights but bolied water soaked the wood n repeat. Then let dry for 2 full days before use.
The tarantula doesn't look too skinny. (Arboreals are normally more gracile than terrestrials.)

That being said, I would add some fake foliage in the top half for cover/webbing. Avics love leafy clutter.

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
That being said, I would add some fake foliage in the top half for cover/webbing. Avics love leafy clutter.
I have some things like that left over from a chameleon. Just need to find it. Already cleaned, I will reclean it upon finding it though.

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
Old Timer
You could put that tank on its side and get a piece of plexiglass and cut it to fit and then add vents to it. Not sure if you have the necessary tools.
Here is the general idea but you only need a single piece of plexiglass a hole saw and some vents.

Last edited:

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
I do in fact, an I did have that in mind. I will get it ready ...I don't wanna stress her with another move just yet. I will keep everyone up to date. Ty all; this site is awesome as well as All of you.

sasker

Arachnoprince
You could put that tank on its side and get a piece of plexiglass and cut it to fit and then add vents to it. Not sure if you have the necessary tools.
You will still have only ventilation from one side in such a setup, which is not ideal for Avics and the like. It is possible to drill ventilation holes in glass, though...

boina

Lady of the mites
Am I the only one to think that this looks like a possibly mature male?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I got that vibe too, but I'm not overly familiar with the physiology of Avics, so clearer pictures would possibly help.

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
[/QUOTE]It is possible to drill ventilation holes in glass, though...[/QUOTE]

Im in the process of ordering a arboreal encloser from Jamie's Ts. I didn't flip the tank in question on its side. Knowing they're webbers if I used it in that way, it'd not only be hard to prevent escape. I'd run the risk destroying its web tunnel?/tube/hiding area.

[/QUOTE]clearer pictures would possibly help.[/QUOTE]

This more helpful??

clearer pictures would possibly help.[/QUOTE]

Hope these are better. She was actually roaming while its daylight out.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Do the pedipalps have pink "toes" like the rest of the legs? I haven't seen a photo that has an angle which shows whether they are present or not.