Need advice on Orthoporus ornatus housing

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I hope that your millipede is able to recover! I believe that Mastigoproctus said that it is usually swiftly fatal. :( I am obviously new to keeping these millipedes, but it seems to me that having a large branch or two for them to climb can be one way for them to adjust their microenvironment -- at least mine seem to enjoy climbing and will curl up for a nap up there (assuming millipedes sleep).

Based on all the advice I have received here and in other threads, I would hesitate to add ANY burrowing insect to ANY millipede enclosure because of the risk of disturbing a molting millipede. But Orin McMonigle (author of books on keeping various invertebrates -- including millipedes -- in captivity) says that isopods, cockroaches, land snails, and many other invertebrates with similar habitat requirements will safely coexist with millipedes

It is rather confusing, to be honest. :confused: Right now I'm playing it safe and have only introduced springtails into my millipede enclosures (and in fact all my vivaria).