Need advice b.smithi

Lapointe

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, so my B.smithi is very lethargic she doesnt move at first I was thinking pre-molt but her abdomen never turned black now almost 1 month later still nothing, her abdomen is very small and she wont eat. My nhandu in the other hand is in premolt with a nice shiny black abdomen 1 week after stopping eating.

Attachments

Bugmom

Arachnolord
That's not a small abdomen by any stretch of the imagination.

A tarantula will stop eating sometimes months before a molt, and if the tarantula in question is in fact the one in the photo, it doesn't need anymore food.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I agree with @Bugmom. Tarantulas can have up to a few months of premolt period. Don't worry, the abdomen will turn black in a matter of weeks.. And no, that is not a small abdomen. ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
+1 to the comments above.

B. smithi come from quite a dry environment in the wild where food isn't easy to come by. As they dont eat as regularly in the wild, when you do feed them regularly in captivity, they can fill up and get plump easily. This will usually result in them fasting for long periods of time, possibly up until next moult.

Your T looks healthy and plump. Looke like nearing a moult too. I wouldnt try feed it until after about a week after next moult.

Lapointe

Arachnopeon
Well I guess I was worried for nothing, thanks for the information.

cold blood

Staff member
I agree, that abdomen is nice and plump. Could be many months before it molts.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It doesn't look like it's heavy premolt yet. I agree with the above, could still be several months before molt. Just sit back, relax, and keep that water dish filled! ;)

You could always offer prekilled if you're worried about an impending molt.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Agree with all of the above; abdomen looks fine. B. smithi is a very hardy tarantula but mine will sometimes be in premolt and not eat for some time, especially as she grew a bit (now about 4" DLS)...she's currently in premolt and hasn't eaten for about a month and I'm not worried one bit.

As long as it has a water dish don't sweat it.