Need a little help

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
So my Chilobrachys sp. Blue is my first burrower species and I thought they webbed a lot and made tunnels and she has but she also has made a "mount" (if that's how you call it) at the entrance of her burrow, is that normal? I know some species do but didn't now Chilobrachys also did that.

Also how/when do I feed it? As when I throw in a worm I obviously don't know if she eats or not. Sometimes I catch her legs at the entrance but as soon I get close of touch the enclosure she shoots down her burrow, I tried luring her back out but doesn't work

First & second pic when I just got her
Third pic you see the mount at the entrance of the burrow she made, the burrow goes down the corkbark you see in the first pic

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Completely normal behavior. You haven't had her very long, many spiders will fast for awhile before taking food when given a new enclosure. She's plenty plump, so I wouldn't worry. I don't know how heavily this Chilobrachys webs, but my C. andersoni, C. huahini, and C. frimbriatus have all webbed like mad. Give her some time, it hasn't been long enough to start worrying!

Concerning the mealworms, be sure that you're crushing the heads first. They can harm your tarantula if you don't.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
It might be a better idea to try something that moves a bit more like a cricket. Either way, like @EulersK said, nothing to worry about. My H. pulchripes sling build up a huge mound. I'd just leave a cricket in there overnight and see what happens. If its hungry, it will definitely eat.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Hey, yeah I wasn't worried, just wondering how to know if she did eat, espacially concidering what crickets/Worms can do to a moulting Tarantula

cold blood

Staff member
Worms with crushed heads are no threat, and will be in the same place you left them if they're not eaten.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
True, does that mean most people feed their burrowers worm with crushed heads? Or is it just temporary till she is more setteled in?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I usually hold the roach with tweezers at the entrance untill I see mine approaching, and let go when it figures it out.. But I would discourage you from doing that if you're not comfortable with this. You need to be careful not to let the T bite on the tweezers.. I have mastered this technique :p But prekilled prey is the safest bet. I know it's not the most satisfying way of feeding, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet :)

cold blood

Staff member
True, does that mean most people feed their burrowers worm with crushed heads? Or is it just temporary till she is more setteled in?
Just the people feeding worms...yes, crush heads unless you can ensure the will tale them immidiately.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I pretty much only feed roaches. I have no picky Ts. All of mine are fatty gluttons. :D