Near Disaster Yesterday!

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I gave myself a real scare yesterday. I was taking Eleanor (my rosie) home with me and had set her cage on the floor so I wouldn't forget to take her when I went out the door. Then I had to run in and out of my office a few times to take care of a few things before leaving. Unfortunately, I forgot she was sitting on the floor and kicked her cage when I passed. It went flying about a foot away and I immediately feared that I had mortally wounded Eleanor.

Fortunately she had been sitting under her little shelter (half of the bottom part of a plastic one gallon milk carton. That's probably what saved her. The substrate had gone all over and she would have been buried. When I opned the lid she came walking out immediately. I checked her all over and she had all her legs and was not bleeding anywhere. She still seems fine today.

I neeed to be more careful.

Bryan

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yesterday must have been your lucky day Bryan.
The lite weight hide may have been what saved her . Had it been a log hide or one of those heavy precast plaster jobs, she may have not been so lucky.
Its a good lesson for us all. :?

Ernie

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are lucky.My cats knocked the tank over and my other rose hair was in it.. well the log popped it's abdomen..it was terrible she was still walking around like normal and eventually just gave in. I had a scare today too. I went into to my Usambaras cage and picked up her coconut hideaway.. she was not to happy to see me and struck at me but missed. I dropped the coconut and I almost hit her abdomen.. I may have slightly..but she seems okay.. She is moving really fast and crawled up my arm without my consent..lol. and ended up crawling on my back and all over the place.. she crawled into my rose hairs tank..eek! but it's fine I got her back into her home. She is a little beast.

Last edited:

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
.. She is moving really fast and crawled up my arm without my consent..lol. and ended up crawling on my back and all over the place.. she crawled into my rose hairs tank..eek! but it's fine I got her back into her home. She is a little beast.
LOL Non-consensual touching! In today's legal climate, that probably makes her eligible for a sexual harassment suit =D

Joy

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Yesterday must have been your lucky day Bryan.
The lite weight hide may have been what saved her . Had it been a log hide or one of those heavy precast plaster jobs, she may have not been so lucky.
Its a good lesson for us all. :?

Ernie
Yeah, you have a point. It's an awful cheap hide, but it would be tough for it to ever injure her. Her water dish, although small is rather heavy and had she been out and about that may have done it. I'm still breathing sighs of relief.

This has also convinced me, that at least in my smaller cages that are more portable, and therefor more spillable, I will only use light weight materials.

Bryan

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kristin,

How terrible! That's exactly what I feared as soon as I realized what I had kicked. Scary stuff.

Bryan

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, I know! I screamed.. I felt so bad. My pets are like family to me. You are lucky..very lucky. And future good luck to you :)

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
LOL Non-consensual touching! In today's legal climate, that probably makes her eligible for a sexual harassment suit =D

Joy
LMAO!

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all

Hi

The other day I managed to make my Suntiger enclosure fall over and s/he went out to the other side of the fallen wood and I just looked at the situation: this T is fast, really fast and s/he was sitting closer to the open cage-lid and the fallen peice of wood was behind h/im/er.
I mean when a Suntiger moves you just don't see the move IMHO.

Although s/he went inwards the cage when I lifted the wood peice, my heart was going faster than normal..:D.

I'll throw a question here: Isn't the Irmina T one of the faster Tarantulas????

Kenny