Native walkingsticks

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont know much about walking sticks, as i've never found any by me so I dont know what species live in my area, but I hear there are species around they are just very hard to find. But yet I have oak forests nearby with lots of ivy growing and wild raspberry/blackberry, sasafrass, wild multiflora rose. Walkingstick heaven.

An expo here sells walkingsticks, they are usually light green or yellowish, very bright. Are these native to my area, if they are I want to have one as a pet since I have food supply right here for them. I was also told they can be kept on romaine lettuce alone.

I have no picture though so I can only go by memory. Are native ones in New York light green or yellow-brown?

This is what plants are in my area-

Last edited:

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, in my area we have Northern Walkingsticks, finally found out the species.The woods by me are prime habitat, except if there is pesticides being used that is which might be why I havent seen any. Luckily at my house we have their food plants, and I use no chemicals so I can pick leaves at my house.

So the ones being sold must not be native, so they dont interest me.

Does anyone sell Northern Walkingsticks (male and females). I might want to buy some. Do they only come in brown, or is there green available too?

Pssh

Arachnoknight
They may become green. Any kind of stick bug, native or not, are illegal to ship over state borders.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They may become green. Any kind of stick bug, native or not, are illegal to ship over state borders.
Technically it's illegal to ship any bug over state borders, mealworms included...

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Technically it's illegal to ship any bug over state borders, mealworms included...
Well then why is there a trading post here.... ;) Some must be ok as long as not advertised on the package. Or the bug hobby would be null.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
The carriers usually have rules about which live things they will ship and which they will not. It's not the carriers that care I think. Dont advertise that you are doing so with stick insects, just to be safe.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Forgive me for bumping but I've got a question. After reading I found out 2 species of walkingsticks live in New York. Northern Walkingstick is one but I cannot find info on the 2nd. Could Megaphasma denticrus be found here upstate NY I did see a huge Walkingstick I know was not a Northern and it was wild and all brown.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I had a thread on my Diapheromera femorata experience here you could search for. I usually find them on buildings, bushes and saplings in the woods, or grasses and shrubs just outside a forest. The key is to look for the characteristic resting poses to pick out among the twigs, and sometimes you find one that's just sitting there fairly obviously. Search at multiple sites because some locations that seem ideal just don't have 'em.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The easiest way to find stick-insects is to look on the sides of houses or window screens. The best way to find them is to get a large, sturdy sweep net and head out to an area where they are known to occur and just run that neat through the grass back and forth until you bring some in.

Here's a link to my favorite resource for state by state (US) phasmid species. And you are correct--two in NY.

http://herper.com/insects/naphasmids.html

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The easiest way to find stick-insects is to look on the sides of houses or window screens. The best way to find them is to get a large, sturdy sweep net and head out to an area where they are known to occur and just run that neat through the grass back and forth until you bring some in.

Here's a link to my favorite resource for state by state (US) phasmid species. And you are correct--two in NY.

http://herper.com/insects/naphasmids.html
Thank You that's a huge help now I know both species!