Native AZ tarantula ID needed!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ok so heres the details i got of the tarantula this guy caught while in AZ. if anyone can help ID this please let me know cuz im curious as to what it is. this little guy JUST molted mature about 3 weeks ago and when he first was brought home he was brown dull and tan...but now has vibrant reds and blacks and golds...heres the information as to where it was picked up.

"I caught Oakie in the Village of Oak Creek at the Sedona Information Center. It was around 2 or 3 in the morning on July 31, 2010 and raining steadily. It had reached a high of 90 that day and a low of 65 that night. The elevation is around 4,100 ft and the terrain is mostly red rock canyons and buttes. I caught her/him huddled next to a curb in the parking lot. Around the information center the ground is mostly sandy with some light gravel while the vegetation is predominantly small desert scrub as well as cactus and sage brush."

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the chalcodes pics ive seen have more of a tan brown setae on their abdomen, this is brilliant red...not to mention the location isnt the same.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the chalcodes pics ive seen have more of a tan brown setae on their abdomen, this is brilliant red...not to mention the location isnt the same.
Male chalcodes have black legs a copper-colored cephalothorax and a reddish abdomen. Females are tan

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Arizona blond tarantula (Aphonopelma chalcodes). That would be my guess.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it was found near Oak Creek I would guess Aphonopelma Sp "Flagtaff Orange". I know they are found and collected close to that area. In fact very close to their. They problem is that their are so many poorly, misidentified tarantulas in Arizona. Sp orange is a higher elevation species than chalcodes. It is found all around sedona.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so basically i have two possible species and nothing to go on lmao. which basically means this guy will spend out his life mateless becuz i refuse to breed him to something without knowing exactly what he is. even if the genus itself is about as muddled as a stomped in water puddle lol.