NARBC Tinley Park, IL

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Haven't been to NARBC specifically for tarantulas, just reptiles, but now that I'm only into tarantulas at the moment, I was wondering are there any vendors/users that sell there at all?

Also, does anyone here on the boards go? I wouldn't mind meeting up with some people!

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are a few there. Roach crossing was there last fall and he had some. The vendor list is up on their site but they don't list what they have so it may not be much help.

I'll be there so stop by my table and chat. I always like talking bugs. Closer to the show I will put up a classified ad with what I will have.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I went this spring and there were maybe two or three vendors with tarantulas? My memory is awful but I definitely remember two: one had a variety of CB slings and such, and the other had what mainly looked to be WC, unsexed species like T. Stirmi, A. seemanni, G. pulchripes, rosies, that sort of thing.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this fall, or I'd totally meet up to talk tarantulas

*edited post slightly because I do remember there were two there, now

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
There are a few there. Roach crossing was there last fall and he had some. The vendor list is up on their site but they don't list what they have so it may not be much help.

I'll be there so stop by my table and chat. I always like talking bugs. Closer to the show I will put up a classified ad with what I will have.
I went this spring and there were maybe two or three vendors with tarantulas? My memory is awful so I could be wrong here, but I think only one out of those really had many options - the others had most probably WC, unsexed T. Stirmi, A. seemanni, G. pulchripes, rosies, that sort of thing.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this fall, or I'd totally meet up to talk tarantulas
Gotcha! I'm really only looking for Phormictopus sp., Pamphobeteus sp., Xenesthis sp. and possibly a CB Therphosa. Remember seeing any of these over there?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Gotcha! I'm really only looking for Phormictopus sp., Pamphobeteus sp., Xenesthis sp. and possibly a CB Therphosa. Remember seeing any of these over there?
Same, looking for pampho slings there too! Hopefully, my local breeders will be there (Evil's Arachnids). They have a lot of good slings-juvies. Hopefully I can see some people from the forum!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
That would be great haha. Hopefully I'll be able to sell some of the slings I have for sale to make some extra money for them lol. You should totally come down to buy them ;) haha

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
That would be great haha. Hopefully I'll be able to sell some of the slings I have for sale to make some extra money for them lol. You should totally come down to buy them ;) haha
That would be awesome! Just as a question, what do you have now (just species in general, not specifics ;)) Would love some tropicals and baboons.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went this spring and there were maybe two or three vendors with tarantulas? My memory is awful but I definitely remember two: one had a variety of CB slings and such, and the other had what mainly looked to be WC, unsexed species like T. Stirmi, A. seemanni, G. pulchripes, rosies, that sort of thing.

*edited post slightly because I do remember there were two there, now
From what others have told me the spring show is nothing compared to the fall show but even in the fall there are not many T vendors.

A couple of years ago, and maybe even last year, they had a special meeting on Friday night geared towards invert enthusiasts. I see nothing like that for this year. I only noticed one vendor listed that can be assumed to be bringing T's. I'm not sure if I can list it here or not (forum rules?) and there is no contact info for him. There is someone on this forum with the same name but I don't think it is the same person. There is another vendor that used to be huge into T's but he does mainly crested geckos now.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
From what others have told me the spring show is nothing compared to the fall show but even in the fall there are not many T vendors.

A couple of years ago, and maybe even last year, they had a special meeting on Friday night geared towards invert enthusiasts. I see nothing like that for this year. I only noticed one vendor listed that can be assumed to be bringing T's. I'm not sure if I can list it here or not (forum rules?) and there is no contact info for him. There is someone on this forum with the same name but I don't think it is the same person. There is another vendor that used to be huge into T's but he does mainly crested geckos now.
That's sad... was hoping to finally find a place near here where I could have a big range of T's, but I guess I'll just have to go online :(. Still hope to see people there, if only to talk T's :)

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There used to be a few good breeders and dealers that showed up to the Mid West shows on a regular basis (Botar, Bill and Bruce from the Theraphosid Breeding Project, Johnny ??? (name escapes me at the moment but he's the crested gecko guy) and I know there was at least one other one that was at the Lee Watson reptile swap all the time. I can picture him in my mind but I can't think of his name. There is another guy named Keith (again I'm terrible with remembering names who I think will be there but I don't know what he has. Last year he was just starting to get back into it I think. Now there is one dealer at the All Animal Expo (maybe two if Keith goes there regularly) who just has tarantulas and I don't think he does the Tinley Park show.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I know what you are talking about. I believe I have seen Keith at the AAE and he has a GREAT selection. I will be going to the All Animal Expo Saturday, hopefully going to get a C. darlingi sling ;). Think the other is Evil's Arachnids, and they aren't doing the fall, but going to the Spring one.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We went down for the two Arachnogatherings at the spring show. Unfortunately, Michael Jacobi was the driving force behind the gathering, and since he retired, nobody else was willing to put it together. I know we won a number of Ts from him and Advan in the raffle. I enjoyed it. We did not go down for the show this spring as that was a big part of why we went down in the past.

I know Evil's used to help at Jacobi's booth. Is he going to have his own booth in the spring or is he piggybacking on someone else's booth? And yes, the spring show is big, but the fall show is huge. I would imagine there will be more vendors with spiders than at the spring show.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There used to be a few good breeders and dealers that showed up to the Mid West shows on a regular basis (Botar, Bill and Bruce from the Theraphosid Breeding Project, Johnny ??? (name escapes me at the moment but he's the crested gecko guy) and I know there was at least one other one that was at the Lee Watson reptile swap all the time. I can picture him in my mind but I can't think of his name. There is another guy named Keith (again I'm terrible with remembering names who I think will be there but I don't know what he has. Last year he was just starting to get back into it I think. Now there is one dealer at the All Animal Expo (maybe two if Keith goes there regularly) who just has tarantulas and I don't think he does the Tinley Park show.
I bought a few spiders from Botar at Tinley years ago. I was sorry to hear he was getting out of the biz. He sold his stock to Ken the Bug Guy. I bought our first tarantula from the Theraphosid Breeding Project at Sewerfest years ago. I don't know why they folded the business, although I know Bruce was still in the hobby, at least, buying a number of spiders at Tinley the last time I was there.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought a few spiders from Botar at Tinley years ago. I was sorry to hear he was getting out of the biz. He sold his stock to Ken the Bug Guy. I bought our first tarantula from the Theraphosid Breeding Project at Sewerfest years ago. I don't know why they folded the business, although I know Bruce was still in the hobby, at least, buying a number of spiders at Tinley the last time I was there.
I've seen Bill around but I haven't seen Bruce in ages. The last time was when the AAE was still in the little green building across the drive from the big one they are in now. I'm not sure I would recognize him but I will certainly keep an eye out for him now that you say that. Bruce and Bill were the driving force behind me getting into tarantulas.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This weekend folks.

Stop by and say hi. I requested the same space as last time so if they come through I'll be about as far away from the front door as you can get. Only maybe 3 vendors are further away. Go to the concession stand, turn around and follow the wall and I'm the 2nd or 3rd vendor from the opposite end. If I'm not there look me up. I'll have corn snakes, T's some tail less whip scorpions, a few vinegaroons and mantids, dart frogs, and probably some carnivorous plants (not all my stuff)

phillipthephiddipus

Arachnopeon
I live in close to Mokena... Been going there for the last 3 years, and come to find when there's invert/tarantula dealers they deliver.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
This weekend folks.

Stop by and say hi. I requested the same space as last time so if they come through I'll be about as far away from the front door as you can get. Only maybe 3 vendors are further away. Go to the concession stand, turn around and follow the wall and I'm the 2nd or 3rd vendor from the opposite end. If I'm not there look me up. I'll have corn snakes, T's some tail less whip scorpions, a few vinegaroons and mantids, dart frogs, and probably some carnivorous plants (not all my stuff)
I will have to have a look at those whips, love them to death ;) See you there :D