Name knoledge.....

If I see the latin name of a scorpion , I.......

• Total voters

ChupaChup

Arachnopeon
Hi all :) , almost every posting on this board has got one ore more latin names in it , mostly to refer to a specific kind of scorpion.....

How many of you know , without looking at the scorpionfile pictures like I do , what kind of scorpion people are talking about?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The ones that are hard for me to ID are the smaller species. Yither also posts some pics of scorps that I am unfamiliar with and I am glad he does since they don't make it to the USA. (If they do I am not aware of it)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
when people started saying "serradigitus" and " odontobuthus" i was like "WTF?"
=)

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bahhhhh I selected the wrong one!!! lol...woops, I meant to put it as 9/10

smalltime

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think anybody but the absolute experts would immedeately know what appearence is linked with every latin name. Me I opted for the 5 out of 10. I would like to say I would know almost all pet-scorps, but there are still tons of species we've never seen in captivity (sometimes Eric has one or two... {D )

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow are people really saying that out of the approximately 1,460 species of scorpion in 90% of those cases they instantly know what the scorpion looks like, impressive...most impressive. ;)

Last edited:

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think he means species...so like hadrurus, parabuthus, androctonus, centruroides, etc...

cause if its every single latin name then I'd say I'm a 5/10 or lower... :/

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
azztigma said:
I think he means species...so like hadrurus, parabuthus, androctonus, centruroides, etc...

cause if its every single latin name then I'd say I'm a 5/10 or lower... :/
those are not species, they are genera. the name goes in order of genus species. EX: Hadrurus(genus) arizonensis(species) also, just as a general statement, when using the scientific name of an organism, only the first letter of the genus is capatalized, not genus and species.
sorry, don't mean to act like a know it all, but i thought that some might want this info.

edt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ooops, good reminder pandinus, been a whiles since High School science class, time to change my sig.!

I could probably draw a mental image on about 50 different spieces, and be close on 20 or 30 more, I picked 50/50, not sure how precise this experiment is going to turn out, haha.

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pandinus said:
those are not species, they are genera. the name goes in order of genus species. EX: Hadrurus(genus) arizonensis(species) also, just as a general statement, when using the scientific name of an organism, only the first letter of the genus is capatalized, not genus and species.
sorry, don't mean to act like a know it all, but i thought that some might want this info.
naw its all good, thanks, very informative :D

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Um, I usually feel really dumb when I read posts that have loads of latin names in them. I know a few of them, but I'm more familiar with the common names. I guess you learn over time most of the latin names...but for me, it's gonna be a LONG time! :8o

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
guesskatiejules said:
Um, I usually feel really dumb when I read posts that have loads of latin names in them. I know a few of them, but I'm more familiar with the common names. I guess you learn over time most of the latin names...but for me, it's gonna be a LONG time! :8o
It does take some time but you will be surprised at how fast you will pick it up.
As for me the pronouniation and spelling is what often stumps me.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I usually always recognize names. but i can not always get the picture in my head of the scorpion involved. Am pretty familiar with the buthidea family. but with others its harder.