N. chromatus question

mmagaling

Arachnopeon
Got my N. chromatus a few days ago. Last night, I found out that it had burrowed. is this normal?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if it is a sling, then yeah..just about all slings will burrow. once it gets about juvie size, it will adopt terrestrial habits.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes. Mine stayed burrowed for most of the past 5 months. After its last molt (not sure of exact date, but I found exuvium on 20 Dec 11) it has been spending a little more time topside. I was fortunate that it burrowed close to the side in its 'infant vial' so I had a 'window'. I tossed in a cricket once a week and was usually assured that it ate it. Once I moved it to a larger enclosure, there was no window. I still tossed in a cricket once a week and hoped for the best. Usually cricket disappeared. If I saw it a few hours later, I would pull it.

These guys grow fast! Mine has gone from ~0.5" to almost 3.0" in 5 months.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
grow fast? really? mine dont seem to grow at all..
Yes. Mine stayed burrowed for most of the past 5 months. After its last molt (not sure of exact date, but I found exuvium on 20 Dec 11) it has been spending a little more time topside. I was fortunate that it burrowed close to the side in its 'infant vial' so I had a 'window'. I tossed in a cricket once a week and was usually assured that it ate it. Once I moved it to a larger enclosure, there was no window. I still tossed in a cricket once a week and hoped for the best. Usually cricket disappeared. If I saw it a few hours later, I would pull it.

These guys grow fast! Mine has gone from ~0.5" to almost 3.0" in 5 months.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
grow fast? really? mine dont seem to grow at all..
Acquired @ ~0.5" the end of July. It's my first N. chromatus, was given to me as N. chromatus by the breeder, who is extremely knowledgeable. It's starting to look like N. chromatus (currently in gangly teenaged phase). I've been sort of surprised at how fast it's grown, especially this last molt. I've been used to Aphonopelma, Brachypelma and Grammostola. My A. genics growth rate has been comparable to these genera. The N. chromatus more comparable to GBB or even LP.
29 Dec 11