N. chromatus hates light???

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a N. chromatus and its about 1.5" I have it in a tupperware right now with a small bottle cap for a water dish and a small hide with peat as substrate. its about 1" deep. Since I got it I have noticed that it curls up in a corner sticking to the corner of the tupperware. Its been a few days now and I never see it move from there. When the lights go out (Theres a timer that turns on/off the light to simulate daylight)I notive that it walks around very fast and tries to stick its legs in the air holes. It has eaten once but about 2 days ago (one small cricket) but yesterday it just stayed in one spot and everytime the cricket walked up to it, it justed moved a leg to let the cricket pass.
So I think that it hates light. It rather stick on the side of the tupperware hiding its face than use the hide I provided.
Is this possible or is it stressed or unhappy?

Heres a picture of what it does. (taken today)Its on top of another tarantula Encosure and the B. boehmei that lives there is always out and about day or night. (very active)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 3 chromatus, 2 slings and a female. My female doesn't hide from light but she does retreat when someone comes in the room and makes any vibration, she is very shy and skittish. The bigger of the two slings is very active a climbs a lot and doesn't hide very much at all, the smaller one doesn't really have anywhere to hide but he didn't burrow.
It could just be that you have a shy T.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah super shy and super fast!! I opened the enclosure and touched it with a cutip cotton swab and it just dissapeard!! It ran so fast and was out of the enclosure and on the table. I never seen one run so fast!! Does not flick hairs at all. I was just worried.
So maybe it will get out of this stage.? Maybe nothing to worry about? At night it does move around but if it sees light it would curl up.

(Also I will give it more room to burrow. I'll get a taller enclosure. But so far it seems to like the corners just like you see in the picture. I have yet to see it on the ground during the day or even in the hide I provided.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my adult female always sits at the base of her burrow,then when i come in the room and just touch the container BAM! she's gone down already{D beautiful spiders:clap:

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah super shy and super fast!! I opened the enclosure and touched it with a cutip cotton swab and it just dissapeard!! It ran so fast and was out of the enclosure and on the table. I never seen one run so fast!! Does not flick hairs at all. I was just worried.
So maybe it will get out of this stage.? Maybe nothing to worry about? At night it does move around but if it sees light it would curl up.

(Also I will give it more room to burrow. I'll get a taller enclosure. But so far it seems to like the corners just like you see in the picture. I have yet to see it on the ground during the day or even in the hide I provided.
that sounds good id also reccomend a corner hide(not needed but may help)

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 3 chromatus, 2 slings and a female. My female doesn't hide from light but she does retreat when someone comes in the room and makes any vibration, she is very shy and skittish. The bigger of the two slings is very active a climbs a lot and doesn't hide very much at all, the smaller one doesn't really have anywhere to hide but he didn't burrow.
It could just be that you have a shy T.
I have a 5" female who is not in the least disturbed by light. She doesn't seem to be disturbed by shadow movement outside of her enclosure, but when I open the door of her exo-terra, she generally bolts for her comfort zone. Too bad this species is so shy...they are stunning!

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It has eaten once but about 2 days ago (one small cricket) but yesterday it just stayed in one spot and everytime the cricket walked up to it, it justed moved a leg to let the cricket pass.
It may be on pre-molt stage.. and I think N. Chromatus are really shy.. mine likes to stay in its burrow the whole day.. and only comes out when it's dark.. :D

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man I did alot of reading before I chose to get this one. I mainly chose this one for its colors (along with the C. cyaneopubescens and the B. boehmei) But I never read that its a shy one. Its a shame cause its gonna be really beautiful. Hopefully it will get flashy and stay out more when it gets older.
Thanks for all the replies.

Morro_Narcissa

Arachnopeon
My N. chromatus hates everything. Including me {D
It's more likely to be annoyed by sound & vibration than light. My hateful little beast doesn't seem to be adversely affected by lighting changes. I love her. :eek: