Mystery Spider (not a T)

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am currently trying to get a picture of it, but i will try to explain how it looks... Quite small, possibly a juv. or "baby", but has large bulbous pedi. (obviously male).. Red thorax, and a blackish opost. (abdomen) lack of hair on the body and legs, but some small sprouts of it on the legs... Not agressive.....found in my pool in Orlando, FL...Any ideas on species??

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry I can't picture it from the description :< Once you get a pic, put it in the arachnid forum instead of the tarantula one - I'm sure you'll get better help there

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in Orlando, Fl. as well so perhaps when you get a picture of it I might be able to tell you! Until then...I'll have some corn pops...

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cant identify this one

I just found this in my pool today along witha smaller one..Found in Central Florida

The thorax is red and opost. (abdomen) is black, legs are also red with some black...

Last edited:

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I own a few T's sorry that i didnt mention the size , but it could prolly fit on a dime....If its a wild caught T in florida, then something has gone wrong in this state

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard that there are wild T's in florida from someone releasing slings. the conditions are perfect so there shouldn't be a problem for them surviving, some species at least.

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
infact i think the rumor was it was a B. Vagans.... Mexican Red Rump i believe...but not not a T....is some form of burrowing species, possibly "funnel web" species....but not sure....

Farris

Arachnopeon
Looks like a trap door spider to me. The fangs also go up and down. Because it is a mygalamorph.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it's a castianeira <ant mimic> ssp, i believe.

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's hard to tell with its legs foded up around its face, but I'd guess it was a gnaphosid based on the shape of the cephalothorax and abdomen.

-Olan

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, a pic of the chelicerae would help a lot. It kind of looks to me like something from the Dysdera genus, possibly crocata.

Atrax

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yea, Dysdera is definitely a possibility. One pic of the chelicerae and we'd know for sure.

-Olan

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I caught a spider just like that this morning actually. It does look like a baby tarantula in a way but is definitely not. The specimen was about 1/3" in legspan with a see-through reddish thorax and a darkish abdomen...very close to what pixi14369 said. I'm not sure what kind it is though...:::puzzled:::...I'll try doing some research online...