Myasis or what I call "Maggot Mouth"

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:? I was wondering if any of you out there have ever lost a tarantula to what I have come to refer to as "Maggot Mouth" or its technical term "Myasis". I have lost a couple of Chilean Rosehairs to this condition over the last couple of months...the tarantula will appear to be losing weight and will be obviously acting abnormal...upon picking the spiders up I turned them over and inspected them and noticed that the mouth of the spider was teeming with maggots....it appears that the maggots are actually eating the mouth tissue of the spider.I have found little information on what actually causes this to happen and I was hoping some of you more advanced keepers might know what is causing this to happen.:confused: I have lost a nice male red phase rosie and a female to this peculiar condition.How are the maggots developing on the mouth parts of the spider? are scuttle flys laying eggs on the spiders mouth? could this be a form of parasitization on wild caught specimens? it is a nasty sight to be sure to see a spider with its mouth consumed with maggots...perhaps you all have some input on this????:?

The Evil Spider Hunter

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
......That's one of the more gross things i've heard in a while. Congratulations, if I ever see something like that I will probably kill the spider before the ...things do.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is a tarantula hawk wasp that lays its eggs in tarantulas. But Im not sure if this is what is causeing your problem . But its a start ......

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, assuming it's WC, that is a good possibility. But I've been told that getting one with an implanted T Hawk would be near impossible considering the time it takes for the specimen to get from the wild to my home. (The T would be paralyzed anyway!) Plus, a T Hawk only lays one egg in the opisthoma... so there wouldn't be LOTS of maggots. If only the answer was that easy!!

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i agree with vys if those things got into the mouth of one of my T's and started eating it alive id kill the T, before id let it suffer maggots are gross some of the grossest things i have ever seen in my life besides sewer roaches and ants(all freak me out) and if they got into my T's cage id kill the T if i knew there was nothing i can do but sit there and let those things kill it off slowly

spideys1969

Arachnopeon
sounds like nemotode worms....very parasitic.....they spread very easily also.....keep an eye on the rest of your spiders....

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
O.K..... how do you GET RID of nemotode worms...

Oh, and HOW do they get them in the first place?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It does sound like the nematode infection that has been studied a lot in the past year. There is currently no known treatment for this infection. Dewormers have been used with Ts and whether due to dosage, inefficacy with this variety of nematode, or even toxicity to the Ts, they've failed.

I believe Rhys of the ATS is handling taking dead specimens from hobbyists for study.

For the record: pound for pound, nematodes are the most common life form on the planet. The vast majority are free living and harmless. So, not only can you probably not get rid of them (if you've got moist soil, you've got nematodes), you probably don't want to get rid of them. Even most of them that live in other organisms (you're harboring a few hundred thousand or more of them in all likelihood right this minute) are harmless. In fact, studies in Britain suggest that we *require* these low level infestations of nematodes for our immune systems to work properly.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Larry boyd posted this on the ATS_group:

Hello All,

In doing some of the prelininary reseach for our project at the Research
Institute for Exotic Species Microbiology I have found some instances of humans
infected with the bacteria associated with nematode infections. The data
includes antibiotic suseptability information. This may be valuable info for
those battling nematode infections. I currently believe that the real danger
to ts is the bacteria that the nematodes introduce in to their victums. The
bacteria multiply and kill the spider and the nematodes eat the bacteria;
nematodes do not appear to eat spiders or spider parts. Based on that --
certainly not proven -- we may win by killing off the bacteria and the nematode
starves or goes off to find better hosts. It may be worth a try.

The bacteria is Photorehabdus luminescens. The typical antibiotic susepabilty
includes gentamicin, cefoaxime and ciprofloxacin. Unfortunately only antibiotic
licenced for humans were tested. I can not tell you if these agents are likely
to be harmful to your ts and you will need to talk about that to a vet.

If anyone uses these agents please let me know the results of your treatment.

Best regards,
Larry Boyd
QUOTE]

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Please read our post called Research Institute of Exotic Species MicrobiologyIts a sticky. We will gladly send you a kit of swabs and vials to help you with your problem. Your problem is nematodes and we are trying to find the species of nematode, the vector and treatment by way of antibiotics. These nematodes feed on a toxic bacteria that they secrete. This toxic bacteria contributes to the death of the T. Not to mention the feeding of the nematode upon the T's resources.
If you have a deceased T I will do an autopsy and Larry will do the lab diagnostics. Our addresses and phone numbers are in the previously mentioned post. If we can be of any help please do not hestitate to contact us.
Kerry

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
YES YOU GUYS, READ THIS....

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9707

I know I'm being redundant... but WE ALL NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS. These guys are trying to learn more about our beloved Ts (FINALLY.. THANK YOU!!) and as T lovers, we are obligated to do our part to help. The more they discover, the greater our chances are of identifying and TREATING common diseases, parasites and ailments of our pets. I have pledged to support them in any way I can, and I hope ALL OF US can contribute something, however small, to their endeavor!!

:) SUPPORT TARANTULA RESEARCH!:)

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I'm in~:0)

I recieved my swab kit today and I will send it off in a day or 2:)
I'm still not sure if my T is sick, but I hope they can tell me if it is.