My wimpy little fish :)

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well heres a few zebra fish in my newly setup 20g tank. These things are on crack..there crazy. Anyway I would of never seen myself having a fish tank but i couldnt pass up a deal. I got the 20g tank, stand, plants, filter, pump, top, light, decor, ect all for $20.00. All i bought was the fish and some water treatment. Currently I have 5 zebras and im gonna put some more stuff in. What other fish live well with zebras?

I got the zebras in there for a 6 week water cycle till I get the piranha i want but i really like these little guys so i think im just gonna get some other kinds of fish to go with them then setup a different tank for the piranha. They already know that when I open the top there gonna get fed, they all come up to the surface of the water looking for their food :)

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Zebra danios are pretty docile, but hardy. Give your tank a week or two to cycle through before adding anymore fish, if you can help it. It needs to build up the beneficial bacteria in the gravel and filter to process the fish wastes adequately.

I personally love the look of Harlequin Rasboras, they too are docile and frequent the mid-water level, while the Danios are mostly near the surface. White Cloud Minnows are also pretty cool, and copious breeders.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea i looked up the Harlequin Rasboras i really like the looks of those. Ive had the fish in about a week and im itching to get some more stuff in there lol.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you like the Rasboras, you might want to think about some Scissortails as well. They seem to be pretty hardy, and the majority I've had were pretty laid back demeanor-wise as well. I also love the Dwarf Gourami species as well, though some of them little turds can be a bit fin-nippy at times.

Glo-lite and Neon Tetras are also a nice addition, but sometimes the Neons can be a bit finicky.

Enjoy the tank!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: very nice setup, those fish are great they are always on the move, ive got saltwater,moray eels/stonefish,they never move.........well only when it's feeding time,other than that the eels are in their caves,and the stonefish(seperate tank) is always buried{D i gotta get a camera to take pics:wall:

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I thought you were going to put piranahas in there? Not wimpy fish, gosh{D {D just joking

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[]Kaliningrad[];913141 said:
I thought you were going to put piranahas in there? Not wimpy fish, gosh{D {D just joking
I decided im gonna get a different setup for the piranha

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah zebra danios are fun I too bought mine with the purpose of feeding them to a garter snake but got atatched. I would put in a school of six rosy barbs, one of my favorite fish, get the normal variety. With zebras avoid any long finned slow moving fish as they tend to harass them. Also six cory cats would round out the bottom area of your tank. Though you won't get any babies with them in the tank LOL.

And that would be a full tank IMO and look really cool, to make it better you could try live plants but they are a whole new ball game.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool thanks for the help. I got 4 Harlequin Rasboras today:)
heres a shot of my tank

Last edited:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I know its tough but hold off on other fish until your tank finishes cycling, about a month.

You can go with all sorts of tetras. My tank has glo-lite, neon and gold (or brass) tetras. Also harlequin rasboras, sparkling, honey and dwarf gouramis. Not to mention a bunch of ghost shrimp, mystery snails and a african dwarf frog.

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Congrats on the tank! I've just made the same kinda deal but without the gravel. I'll catch that myself this weekend, as well as the fish (perches - fish have to be spiney, camouflaged and with a nasty eat all attitude ;) )

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Congrats on the tank! I've just made the same kinda deal but without the gravel. I'll catch that myself this weekend, as well as the fish (perches - fish have to be spiney, camouflaged and with a nasty eat all attitude ;) )
Not to mention pan fry nicely.{D

Gave up on the tokays, eh.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Not to mention pan fry nicely.{D

Gave up on the tokays, eh.
Very very nicely! :D I'll have some this weekend, though of the larger variety...

Nah, not given up yet. I just need to build my last tank (for this flat) and then I have one empty one I need to fill with something. Who knows what will be in there in a year...

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then perches are not for you... you would be better off with a bass or pickerel. I have had perches for several years and they mainly just hide, and are not the eating machine you are looking for, plus they do best in groups of three or more.