MY turn to build a back drop

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
k so i have ONE LAST question... i have plenty of clear plexi 1/8" thick.. and i also have 1/8" BLACK PVC sheets.. it feels like plexi, but slightly more springy? i kind of like the look of the black.. has anybody ever used this, and will it warp as bad as the acrylic? (another big reason i dont want plexi as the lid)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks porp. means alot to hear compliments from others. im proud of myself for a good lookin 1st attempt

---------- Post added 05-07-2012 at 08:28 AM ----------

with some finishing touches, the lid, and ONE T OR ANOTHER in there it will be complete, and on to the next. May temporarily rehouse all my larger ts one by one and hook em up

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
[/COLOR]BTW.. i still have a 2nd coat to do THEN some knock off... after the rockery is all complete i will THEN silicone and substrate the rock wall... some sphag moss and some plants will make this look pretty sharp... now.. i need some opinions... should i stick to silk/fake plants or should i use soil instead of coco and try my hand at a true VIV?? ive seen some cool lookin bromeliads and succulents id like to test out.
Your going to silicone and sub the grout??? Just incertain places or over the whole thing? sorry, its early and Im confused, haha.

I totally think you should go with real plants, maybe even just start with pothos and see how it goes.

You know this means some people :sarcasm: on this forum are gonna harass you for a grout tutorial when your finished.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lid is cut and drilled ( a freakin TON of holes.. think i got a hand cramp lol, out of practice i guess) i went with the black hard pvc sheeting , as the clear plexi scratches and warps.. Ill try THIS out... here it is View attachment 103147 View attachment 103148 i will add the LED tap light in the center then glue it on once i have all the deco in... id HATE to shoot myself in the foot by puttin the lid on too soon.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nah.. i just gotta do any minute touch ups on the grouted "rocks" where silicon got smudged by accident. i will look it over FINELY and do any last minute touchups on either part that i see... brown silicon and brown sub is GENIUS to whoever started that trend. No real tutorial needed when it comes to grout. i just used sanded grout mix and added water. mixed with my wand (for drywall/muddin work) in a bucket till peanut butter consistency then started finger painting lol... it washes off bare hands with ease (unless you let it set up for a while.. a nail brush cleans out all the cracks and crevices for you ladies who are interested:biggrin:

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Its looking good, Grayzone.

Another question for you: Looks like you painted the grout brown, then grey again??? Just regular 100% acrylic paint?

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I can't wait until I have an enclosure big enough to make a GOOD backdrop. I've made one for a small enclosure but it is far from good. lol I also need to get some things to help me create it. =P

People don't realize but tarantula/invert keepers are actually really creative! =D

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks guys.. diggin the compliments. Makes me wanna start another PRONTO

Its looking good, Grayzone.

Another question for you: Looks like you painted the grout brown, then grey again??? Just regular 100% acrylic paint?
Uh.. no paint.. if youre referring to the upper right hand rock that brown on it is just excess caulking. Thats where the touchup grouting will come into play... Also, MAY just leave it. I plan on hanging some artificial (hell , maybe real) vine/pothos from a little ledge in the top of the rock. There is a groove specifically carved out and is a flat area but it doesnt show up in the pic. the vines will block any accidental caulking

I can't wait until I have an enclosure big enough to make a GOOD backdrop. I've made one for a small enclosure but it is far from good. lol I also need to get some things to help me create it. =P

People don't realize but tarantula/invert keepers are actually really creative! =D
best of luck with your future projects amy. Yes, alot of hobbiests (of invert/fish/reptile etc) are VERY creative.. all about knowing the specie your building the stuff for and exploiting the ts characteristics. A tiny bit of creativity can go a LONG way if you hatch a good plan.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I think any kind of greenery from the top will look great! This makes me want to finish my own display, haha. not gonna happen :sarcasm:

Looking forward to more pics.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks awesome!! Thats one of the best first attempts ive ever seen!!
Tony
thanks a lot tony. this tank took a lil procrastination, but mostly because i was lazy. honestly, the most time consuming part was drilling out all the uniformed holes for the lid... the rest was done outside 5 minutes at a time while smoking and such. Still have NO CLUE what im gonna put in here, but guess thats alright for now.

---------- Post added 05-08-2012 at 07:47 AM ----------

anybody remember LIGHT BRIGHTS? thats what the lid picture reminds me of

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
K so tomorrow i will be having some free time and will be picking up the stuff for all the finishing touches.. I have also noticed all the smells of the silicon, the grout, the acrylic adhesives etc have been gone for the last 2 days (been keepin it outside with the doors open) so by sat or sunday it SHOULD be move in ready... Unfortunately, im still not sure of what is goin in it at the moment so im a bit puzzled. time will tell, and i will likely base it off the color of the fake flora i snag at the dollar store tomorrow. By the time this is done, im SURE it will be safe for the t of choice

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
da-bump....okay dude, where's the finished product? Sheesh, it's been 3 days since you've had a chance to get to the dollar store!:tongue:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yea.. sorry guys. Still havent done anything new to it.. i have actually just left the project as is for now till i fig out whats goin in it. I need a new large female arboreal of some kind.
Anyways, to answer your ? Sid, i just laid the exo on its back with a fan pointing down through the doors and let it sit for like 6hrs at a time. It started really dark, then id usually wait till all the grouted areas were light in color then i applied the next coat. There is a total of 2 SOLID coats on it, with minor touch up here and there.. I will probably do one last coat in there on some spots and call the grouting done.
this tank is in no way needing to be done anytime soon, so im just sorta messing around with it here and there. Some t will be lucky in the future... I plan on instantly starting a new enclosure soon as this one is done. i got a few ideas, as stated earlier in this thread

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I know what's going to be living there ;)
One of the reasons I'm trading her to you is cause she's going to get a awesome enclosure :D
Right now the poor thing has a slab of corkbark in a giant jar lol

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
YEPP.. a giant ornata WILL look sexy in it .. ESPECIALLY when shes clutching an eggsack.. i wonder if this is too tight of quarters for a breeding pair? time will tell.. I gotta find a Large cork tube and some last minute stuff to finish this tank up soon... Next wednesday will be here faster than i can imagine

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, i guess i learned my lesson.. I procrastinated on this enclosure TOO LONG. I got a 6.5" female ornata yesterday and had nothin big enough to temporarily hold her, so had to toss her in.
She is really quick to make a dash for freedom (VERY DIFFERENT than my regalis female) and she slapped at me twice during rehousing... She has since calmed down alot. Shes quite the looker too.
View attachment 104012 View attachment 104013
View attachment 104014
View attachment 104015 View attachment 104016

As a side question, would this tank be suitable as a breeding tank? I have a PU male ornata too (in the jar on the right on top of the enclosure) that im gonna let cohab this tank with my female once he matures. Do you think its too small?