my ts and how rare are they?

whats the rarest out of these?

• Total voters

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are living animals. Not pokemon cards ;)
yeah but then other people are offering their uncommons and other rares for your rares

i'd consider P. Metallica females to be the charizards and M. Balfouri's to be Blastoises, as everyone knows and wants them. (generally speaking)

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im bored with what we have, since I have most of it.:( I want what you guys have. I cant find an H maculata to save my life:( Found a T that was labeled "Ornamental baboon" but after some research I discovered it wasnt the H. maculata, but a P lugardi. Also would love to find another P ornata that doesnt come out male on me:( I would also love to find a P metallica (ahahaha ya right...) or really any other pokies outside of Pederseni and Regalis.
TC has H. mac slings.

Cass

ajhere

Arachnopeon
i dont thnk none of thm are rare there more avaible now since there breedn like crazy

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well , what is my rarest t, from this list, im 100% sure their rare.

Aphonopelma Behlei
Citharischius Crawshayi (im not sure if rare at all)
Ephebopus Cyanognathus
Eupalaestratus Campestratus
Megaphobema Robustum
Monocentropus Balfouri
bout as rare as a bunny in the woods

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like I said before, nothing personal against anyone who ships T's, but I am just not comfortable putting the tarantula through that. I feel it would just be too stressful.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like I said before, nothing personal against anyone who ships T's, but I am just not comfortable putting the tarantula through that. I feel it would just be too stressful.
So it's not stressful for the tarantula to be shipped to the lps where you'll be buying it? :wall:

Many hobbyists (myself included) send/receive specimens by mail frequently, and encounter very few injuries or doa's, so I would think that shipping stress would be negligible.

As for the orginal post, here in the U.S, I wouldn't necessarily call any of the list rare. They are merely 'high end'.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the most objective use of "rare" would be in ecological terms. Aren't Poecilotheria regalis and relatives supposed to be diminishing in the wild? We must have a variety of common species in the hobby that are becoming progressively rarer in the wild.

I love it,I can drive 1.5 hrs NE of my location and find behlei.So,everything on that list BUT behlei are either high end,or "rare" i guess.
From my experience, A. behlei is a much more intensive find than any of the "chalcodes" spiders. My ratio of A. behlei to A. "chalcodes" has been something like 1:40 over 5 years, even with most of my hunting trips around Payson.

But maybe it's like Superstitionia donensis. Rare only when you don't know what conditions to find them in.

Since I'm talking about the Southwest, I bet the dwarf Aphonopelma species from here are marginal in captivity. Much fewer than something like Monocentropus balfouri. The demand's pretty unspectacular for the angry gray midget spiders though, so they don't have that "rare" pricetag.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While not really RARE, down here in the USA M. robustum females(adults) are harder to find than P. metallica by far. I know..and alot you know how hard i looked for MONTHS to find one. It wasnt easy by any means

Id personally say in order of rarity in the states(at least for ones already here) would be.

E. olivicea
M. peterklassi(spelling)
adult female M. robustums
P. metallica males(as females seems to be A LOT more common)

there are more im sure, and this list may be biased, but thats species you rarely seem offered. not going by price. I mean...when was the last time a M. peterklassi was even offered? years i believe.

I agree that know one should want just "rare" or expensive Ts, but lets face it. we all do.

I dont know anyone who would turn down a free or even cheap P. metallica..or E. olivicea.

I do agree that A lot of the Aphonopelma sp. are very rare or hard to come by in other countries. just like Alot of pedes are hard to find over here but are prevalent in other places(germany)

Its just location, and demand.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I am ok with it being continental, but overseas sounds risky. After seeing that post about the Pederseni and ornata, and I myself having lost things in the mail.

OP: I think rarity is just used to assign value. More or less to say more common T and inverts are worth less, whereas the rare species are worth more. So its a combination of assigning a value, and Supply and demand determines that value.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I am ok with it being continental, but overseas sounds risky. After seeing that post about the Pederseni and ornata, and I myself having lost things in the mail.
Those were sent internationally and illegally (not that shipping USPS is legal either).

Something shipped overnight or even 2-3 days is going to have a MUCH better chance at survival than something shipped over a week or two.

In the end, if you don't want to have them shipped, that's up to you and 100% ok to do. However, that doesn't make a particular species rare just because you don't want it shipped to you. ;)

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the end, if you don't want to have them shipped, that's up to you and 100% ok to do. However, that doesn't make a particular species rare just because you don't want it shipped to you. ;)
I wasn't saying that shipping has anything to with rarity, it was just an unrelated post that was directed to Ms.X. its Just how I feel from past experience, and I just wouldn't want to have to deal with that myself. I would have "rare" ones shipped to me, just not from far away. Its likely going to be how I get most of what I want, since I cant find them anywhere near here :(

Just not overseas.

The OP: part of my post was for the rarity bit :}

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rarity depends on location and availability.. It's not a set standard

Also why does this matter? Does "rare" mean more to you?

Seems a bit facetious
im doing this cause im bored and have nothing else to do with my spare time i guess.i like polls their kinda fun. what can it hurt to have a jag parked next to minivan, i kinda want rare ts . to each there own .i think its cool to own and raise an animal that not many people get to see everyday. i want a little zoo.
are you kinda being rude?im not really sure what you mean by facetious? im not trying to be cocky if thats what you mean?

Last edited:

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At my location, Aphonopelma behlei would be the rarest with P. metallica / M. balfouri as runners-up. WC Aphonopelma (A. moderatum, "New River" etc.) are flying here for ridiculous prices.
i really love the a. behlie, they look so much like the g. pulchra. i have a sling thanks to biomarine2000. that lil" s.o.b. is mean as hell for being the size of a dime to

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree , why do you care about "rare" ts ? Do you just like people to know how rare your ts are ? Just asking .
NO. im trying to figure out how rare they are for my personal peace of mind , not to rub it anyones face. i didnt think this post would be offensive to anybody.and yes i go to work and talk to people and say hey " i just got a halpopelma longipes and i see it out every night " and there like " what the hell did you just say?"where as if say that here people will know, yeah mines a pet hole , i posted this as a conversation peace to get people talking and kinda get to know people who have the same addiction as me . not to say i drive a green gremlin to work and i drive threw the projects and get nervous when my car backfires, ok that was a joke. im here to have fun and try to keep it clean. you people make me feel as close to what some say "normal" is.the "so-called " normal people are either scared of me or think im crazy. id say im not above or below anyone, just like my collection, i honestly did this with good intentions.besides who the hech am i gonna talk about ts with ? my preacher?i dont know maybe i guess i do care if my babies are rare? i need to take my meds!!!!!!!!

im just trying to have a friendly post here .

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thrixopelma ockerti arent rare, but captive bred slings in the US is Very rare..

I only know of a few who have done it.

Blayde, Getting things shipped isnt bad, use your review section in the canadian forum to see who packs good, sells good stock and who has the best reviews.

Joe, i am not aware of the laws in the country where the P. ornata and P. pederseni were shipped, but i dont recall the guy saying it was illegally shipped. I could be wrong though.(that was a hairy and messed up situation to begin with)

Another thing, a tarantula labeled as "rare" isnt for market prices usually. Look at P. metallica, they are rare because, they are difficult to breed, which makes them rare, while it is true rare things are generally sold for a higher retail value, it doesnt always have to be so. Tarantulas labeled as "rare" are either rarely imported or cannot be imported any more(due to a country closing export/import doors) or are extremely difficult to breed, or there is very few in the hobby.

M. robustum is rare because they are hard o get a viable sac from, as with P. metallic.

E. olivicea are rare, because well, not many have them.

Then there are those species like H. gabononesis that have just be brought in and only 2 or 3 people have a decent breeding stock. those are ones we need to breed before they become a staple in the hobby stock.

There are many pricey tarantulas, but that doesnt make them "rare" just means people are going to pay a high price for one because they are either colorful, or really demaned...like the GBB(especially adult females)

Just think, about 6 years ago(i wasnt into the hobby yet) I was told L. violaceopes sold for 400 bucks a sling an were quite hard to come by. now they are fairly cheap and readily available.

I dont see anything wrong with someone asking what is the most rare T they have, im sure those with P. metallica show those off first. Not knowing is more ignorant IMHO.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joe, i am not aware of the laws in the country where the P. ornata and P. pederseni were shipped, but i dont recall the guy saying it was illegally shipped. I could be wrong though.(that was a hairy and messed up situation to begin with)
It wasn't illegal, He sent the T's without permission or warning, he hadnt even paid for them yet. From what I remember reading, he just got a message saying they were sent one day. Then they arrived in the mess he got.

Another thing, a tarantula labeled as "rare" isnt for market prices usually. Look at P. metallica, they are rare because, they are difficult to breed, which makes them rare, while it is true rare things are generally sold for a higher retail value, it doesnt always have to be so. Tarantulas labeled as "rare" are either rarely imported or cannot be imported any more(due to a country closing export/import doors) or are extremely difficult to breed, or there is very few in the hobby.
You just said what I said, in more words:}

OP: I think rarity is just used to assign value. More or less to say more common T and inverts are worth less, whereas the rare species are worth more. So its a combination of assigning a value, and Supply and demand determines that value.
My exact words. Not to say any species is more rare than the other, I simply said, the ones you cant find where you are, are going cost you more to get there. Supply and Demand. Theres a B. Smithi down at my LPS, only one, they want $250 for it.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Just asking..

Why are Aphonopelma so scarce in certain areas such as Hungary (Zoltan) ?
You can't just catch them here and imports from the US are complicated - permits and import costs...

BTW, this is only for the Aphonopelma other than Aphonopelma sp. "Guatemala" and A. seemanni. Those are fairly available.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thrixopelma ockerti arent rare, but captive bred slings in the US is Very rare..
Again, I am located in Canada. Around here, T. ockerti is pretty rare from what I've seen. As far as I know, my LPS has only ever had 3 in the entire time they have been open, but I am not sure how long a time frame that is.

It seems like up here we have a lot more limited access to some of the more expensive species you guys have. There are so many in everyones collections that I have never even heard of but would LOVE to get my hands on.