My Three Pasimachus depressus

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I put my three Pasimachus depressus in together yesterday hoping for some mating. @ErinM31 had some success with her communal and my specimens are from her so I decided to try it. I also saw a thread earlier about Pasimachus eating fruit and I decided to kill two birds with one stone and throw in a piece of banana. I got some mating! Enjoy!

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
These beetles look a little... DEPRESSED!
please kill me.

Anywho, awesome that you got them to mate! Very cool time lapse video. Are these always very active, or more of a burrowing species?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
These beetles look a little... DEPRESSED!
please kill me.

Anywho, awesome that you got them to mate! Very cool time lapse video. Are these always very active, or more of a burrowing species?
They are almost always active, basically coming out of the sub every 10 minutes or so. But, after that time-lapse, for some reason all three are staying underground a lot more and I rarely see them. I hope it means they are laying eggs!:D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I put my three Pasimachus depressus in together yesterday hoping for some mating. @ErinM31 had some success with her communal and my specimens are from her so I decided to try it. I also saw a thread earlier about Pasimachus eating fruit and I decided to kill two birds with one stone and throw in a piece of banana. I got some mating! Enjoy!

Wow, I would never have guessed they would eat fruit! :wideyed:

Mine did well in a communal set-up -- observed mating but never any aggression between them. I did find the remains of one, but I think it died of old age as there was no evidence of violence on either the survivor or on the neatly cleaned pieces the isopods left behind.

I hope that you are successful in getting offspring! :) I have read that they don't lay many eggs and that these should be removed immediately or the larvae are at great risk of being eaten by the adults. I had hoped that abundant prey would keep everyone fed and happy but then I never found any offspring and I am not sure whether the larva I found in one of my pitfall traps is still alive. The young are difficult! :sour: