My Tetramorium impurum won't tunnel in my Antworks

boadle

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

I recently bought on of those nifty blue gel Antworks ant farms, along with a 25-strong colony of Tetramorium impurum, including Queen. She has since laid some larvae, and then died :( but none of the ants have made any attempt at tunneling. They've been there for about 2 weeks now.

Have I picked a species that doesn't tunnel?

Thanks in advance,

Lewis

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry, I can't help with your ants, but I'd just like to say that I bought the same ant farm a couple of weeks ago and just ordered the Harvester Ants from the included order farm. They seem to be doing fine with tunneling so maybe your specific ants are not a tunneling species? I don't know, but I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your colony is lost without a queen. Antworks is the worst thing to keep ants in. There are much easier setups which you can make at home with much succes.
You can use test tubes and a plastic container to make a small set up. If the colony gets bigger you can make a nest out of plaster or ytong.
A test tube nest:

The test tubes are connected to the plastic container. There is a small amount of water covered with some cotton wool to keep the humidity in the tubes. The ants will settle in the tubes if they are covered from light. The white stuff on the container is fluon. An escape barrier. Parafine oil will also work fine.

Last edited:

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah you dont see gel in the wild, the sand is more natural than that, next would be dirt.