...my tarantula is on its back

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
but its legs are still moving around a little. is it moulting, or dying or should i flip him back over???

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
NO!!!!!!!!!leave it as it is lol

its molting, tarantulas die on thier fronts with thier legs curled over, just leave it as it is, dont worry, but keep the humitity up and try not to disturb it

That_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what species is it? Does it look like its twitching its legs? Well, that sounds like a molt to me. But I could be wrong. LOL. I dont think its dying. And fliping "Him" back over is a no, no. Check on it in a few hours, if nothing changes, wait a little longer. Then gently blow on it. If it moves with a jerk then I would think its a molt. But, watch out for the death curl. Thats the shocker!

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Leave it alone!!!!
T's don't die on their back, they only turn on their back when they are ready to molt. Don't disturb it, just sit back and watch. Good luck.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't worry,
There is no such thing as asking a dumb question here, you did the right thing by asking the question. Before you asked you didn't know what to do. I'm sure whatever questions you have about T's, there is someone here who can answer it for you.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah.. Your T is just doing his "job"

Make sure theres no live prey items in the cage right now (Crickets, or whatever) If there is, try to remove them without disturbing the spider.

A cricket can kill a freshly molted tarantula.

Also: give your tarantula about a week to "Harden Up" (Sclerize (sp?)) before giving him food again.

Other than that, sit back, relax and enjoy what I thing is the most interesting facet of Tarantulas. The T renewing itself..

-Jason

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how long does it usually take a tarantuala too molt? i left for work at around noon, and just got home around 9:30 and he's still like halfway in his old exo skeleton or whatever you call it.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, i was reading the "general infomation" on this site on tarantulas, and it said it could take long if the humidity is too low, and too mist (but not mist the tarantual directly) so i did that, and as soon as i sprayed once, the tarantuala came fully out and looked a little mad, lol.

i cant post a pic of it right now becuase i left my camera at my friends house :( i'll post pics tomorrow

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't do anything except watch nature at its best. Just let it molt..;) And have your camera ready for the show..

Ernie

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Which site told you to mist a molting tarantula? Not good advice at all in my opinion. Molting is the least appropriate time to annoy your T.

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
during molt, if I thought the humidity is too low, I always used syringe to inject drops of water through ventilation holes in the enclosure..much more gentle than spraying :)

spideywatcher

Arachnopeon
My tarantula went through about a week of the described sequence of not eating, not moving, the bald spot but I couldn't really tell if he was on his back or stomach. Now he is definitely on his back so I thought he might be molting but the posts all talk about a matter of hours. He has been like that all day without moving. Could he still be molting? Is there any movement when they molt?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
My tarantula went through about a week of the described sequence of not eating, not moving, the bald spot but I couldn't really tell if he was on his back or stomach. Now he is definitely on his back so I thought he might be molting but the posts all talk about a matter of hours. He has been like that all day without moving. Could he still be molting? Is there any movement when they molt?
They will sometimes rest on their back for a while (could be a long while, patience is key with these creatures) before they "pop their top" so to speak.

spideywatcher

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the link. As I said, he is definitely on his back now. How long can a T go without eating or drinking??

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Depending on conditions and species...months. Easily. I've heard tell of Ts not eating for upwards of one year, though I think that's probably the far end of the spectrum.