My tarantula is completely buried, is he okay?

maryorourke

Arachnopeon
My grammostola pulchra (about 2 inch leg span) was pretty active and jittery for a long time (since July I believe). His abdomen was nice and plump in the past few weeks as well. However, I’ve noticed that for the past week, he has completely disappeared under everything. He’s not in his hide; he upturned it and it’s on top of the substrate. My other tarantulas burrow in their hides which I know is normal, but my g. pulchra is completely gone. I don’t see any holes for breathing or anything. There are no signs of a tarantula having ever been there. I know he didn’t escape; he’s in there. Is this a sign of molting? Do I need to dig him up? Did he accidentally trap himself, or was it on purpose? I just want to be sure that he didn’t accidentally trap himself and will suffocate.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
No need to dig him up, he's fine. They've been doing this longer than us you know ;) Could be getting ready to molt, basically interpret it as "do not disturb."

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
This is pretty normal. They frequently do this during premolt. No need to worry, so you can have some ease of mind :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes the tarantula did this on purpose and if it buried itself it has plenty of air. Totally normal. Do not disturb sign up.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Normal

Strongly suggest you read about the basics of owning a tarantula!! Your Ts life depends on it!!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Just like you wake up in a bed, take a shower in a bathroom, change clothes and go to school, see a friend at a movie theater, and go see about how your other relatives in other town, your tarantulas will do just about same things, but differently.

Your tarantulas will crawl around, drag, move things around, climb around, dig around, and bury itself around, etc.

Not so much of surprising movement there, but rather daily, weekly, monthly routines of their own.