My T Likes to Get High

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
I've had my first spider (B. albopilosum) about 10 months now, and today she did something new, so I decided to make a quick video. Before I get too many reprimanding replys, please know that:
  • The rocks seen in one of the clips were removed long ago (based on what happens in the video, I'm glad I did!)
  • Although the distance from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure is within the guideline (distance is ~6" vs. my T's DLS of 5.5+"), I am in the process of adding more substrate just to be safe, given her new proclivity.
P.S. As an immediate measure, I removed the plastic plants that she used to climb up to the lid. Really hated removing them since she seems to love climbing on them so much, but safety first.

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
You're really lucky she didn't injure herself badly! The mesh screens are so much hassle and the Ts are attracted to them like moths to lightbulbs. I think had it been me, I would have cupped her with my bare hands before having her fall, but she isn't injured so no worrying over spilt milk or whatever. Do you know what you're going to change? Like get a sheet of acrylic with holes drilled in or something?

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
I thought that lifting the lid would cause her to fall off, and the chances of her climbing down herself were the better odds. In retrospect I thought it may have been better to have tapped on the lid when she was over the highest area of the substrate, to assure the most cushioned landing. In terms of preventative changes, the main thing I'm doing is raising the substrate height, and covering the top of the hide with substrate to make it softer. The only other hard surface is the water dish, which is only temporary while I repair her "water tower", and has plastic plants around it to protect her during any potential fall. I may replace the lid with plexiglass -- are they able to walk across that upside-down too? I was surprised she was able to walk across the slick wood surface, but then again she walks across the vertical glass side of her enclosure all the time.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
are they able to walk across that upside-down too?
Yep!

Mine does and fell straight into the water dish last time. I cant say I didnt let out a little scream.

This picture makes me laugh. Like she learned her lesson after her little dip in the pool.

20190903_190523.jpg

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
Yep!

Mine does and fell straight into the water dish last time. I cant say I didnt let out a little scream.

This picture makes me laugh. Like she learned her lesson after her little dip in the pool.
The lid of your enclosure looks like its plastic, is it? I'm considering replacing my wood lid with plastic to prevent her from walking on it, but if yours can walk upside down on plastic then I guess there's no point.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
The lid of your enclosure looks like its plastic, is it? I'm considering replacing my wood lid with plastic to prevent her from walking on it, but if yours can walk upside down on plastic then I guess there's no point.
They can climb whatever they want, but in replacing your lid with an acrylic sheet would've at least one big advantage: She won't get stuck in the mesh with her tarsal claws. And that's a serious risk with any mesh in the lid.

I house my adult terrestrial Ts in RUBs, IMO that's the safest way. ;)
20190922_074915.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I drop my AFs NW into RUBs or ExoTerra Breeder Boxes

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the insights. Sounds like no matter what I do she will climb on the bottom of the lid upside down if that's what she feels like doing. So the best I can do is cushion any fall that may result by assuring an adequate substrate level and covering any hard surfaces, as I had previously done. I was planning on doing a slight annual clean-up of the enclosure shortly, at that time I'll beef-up the "fall protection" even more. I'll probably replace the small mesh pieces too.