My stupid cat.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For about a week I've been wondering why my bi-colored, gray and white male cat has been exhibiting a rather strange eye problem in his right eye. Well I think I got my answer last night when I was awoken by a weird noise like someone scraping a hairbrush against a cheese grate. I got up and saw my male cat, Mo-Mo, sitting on top of my G. rosea's tank leaning forward with his face close to the snap top lid of my A. avicularia's enclosure trying o claw his way inside it. Needless to say Pandora was tryiing to get a good shot in with her urticatin hairs on her perch on the lid. So now I can reasonably gather why my stupid cat has been having an eye problem. All his efforts to get at my A. avicularia are getting him nothing but urticating hairs in the face. I really don;t know what I'm going to do with that cat.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Diced into cubes and frozen, it should provide tarantula food for at least a year ;)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Looks at code and chokes on my coffee,, then falls over laughing)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, now that I have cleared the coffee from my sinus passages....
(looks at Code)

And I have washed it off my monitor and keyboard....

Godzilla2000 I hope your cat feels better soon and maybe start shooting her with a spray bottle of water to stop her form wanting to do this.

Just make sure you have the T's enclosiers secure so she doesn't topples them scrambling madly when startled.

Maybe contact the vet and ask about hairs in the eyes and ask if theres anything that can be done to ease her discomfort.

Other then that I don't know.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just can't wait to see what he'll do when I get an H. lividum. I think I'm going to have to close my door to keep him out before he hurts himself and/or knocks over a tarantula tank.

P.S. Mo-Mo's eye did heal too. But he's such a stupid cat!! His sister has more intelligence. Enough to leave my Tarantulas alone.

Last edited:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Erk. Sorry I called your him a her.
LOL

Cute name!

One of our cats is named Mewmew..

Hehehe.
Glad He is feeling better. :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey G2000,

The urticating hairs are most likely from the G. rosea and not the A. avic. Avicularia do not have airborne urticating hairs. They literally have to push them into the skin. Unless there's webbing on the lid where the cat is rubbing it's face, in which case it is possible as they line their web retreats with the urticating hairs all the time....

Scott

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Hey G2000,

The urticating hairs are most likely from the G. rosea and not the A. avic. Avicularia do not have airborne urticating hairs. They literally have to push them into the skin. Unless there's webbing on the lid where the cat is rubbing it's face, in which case it is possible as they line their web retreats with the urticating hairs all the time....

Scott
It could have been the G. rosea that did the dirty deed of flinging urticating hairs at my cat. All I know is that A.) I want to shoot my cat for crawling on the Tarantula enclosures. B.) I need to figure out a failproof way of getting M-Mo to leave the tanks alone. In his stupidity he just will not quit no matter what I do. I'll have to devise a way to close my door and barricade it so that he won't scratch it to pieces from the outside as he's trying to wedge his paws in enough to open it. I don't think my landlords would enjoy a scratched up door too much.

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cat B Gone

I am a Canine Behaviorist, so take this for what it's worth. I'm sure there are "Cat People" here who can offer better advise.

I agree with Nixy about the water bottle, but in your absence, I would suggest trying some "BOUNDARY" It is a product offered by many pet stores, or you can order it and products like it from PETEDGE.com. There are different types for dogs/cats; inside and outside.... I would remove the Tarantulas before I sprayed it, not returning them until you were sure the spray had settled and there was no residual in the air. I have found BOUNDARY to be very effective with cats...not so much with dogs.

Kelly O

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know how the average T-venom affects cats?
This post of CM reminds me of an earlier, similiar one....hah, well he does most often make rational posts, sure, but this névertheless proves he's the devil :)

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Refresh My Memory

Refresh my memory, somebody. What class is the venom of a T?

Cats are usually more sensitive to invenomation by scorps. IME German Shepherd + Centuroides sp. = swollen tongue/face
Kitty+Centuroides sp.=respiratory distress/failure.

I would assume that since cats are usually much more sensitive to other chemicals, they would be more inclined to have adverse effects from a T bite.

Kelly O

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man, you'd think after getting haired, the furball would learn. They do get persistent, though. Glad kitty is ok now.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Here's my stupid cat story~:0)

.....Well, I use to have birds.......
My cat would lay on top of my conure's cage
and she (Kali was her name) would pull the
fur from between his toes! His feet were almost
bare, and he didn't care! My cat is really stupid!:rolleyes:

I am glad that your kitty is ok.

The best thing to do for him is to just keep
the T room closed at all times, that way you
will not have to worry. Because if he keeps
messing with your T's one of them may come to
a sad end. We keep our T's in my sons room,
he has a lock on the door. My problem is mostly
my three year old, he just loves the T's!! :)
I found him with one of the boxes a few days ago.
So, I put a lock on the door.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have five cats (one of my daughters is a cat fanatic. I dont hate them, treat them decently, but hands down, they are not my favorite animal!) I put a lock on my door to prevent them from being around my tarantulas. I found out from experience that the door that is shut is almost irresistable to a feline,lol.
We have done the water thing with mixed results. Three dislike it enough not to trangress again. The other two i believe are part fish.....

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I have a sequel to my little Stupid Kitty tal. Everyone cozy with their blankies? Good. Well this morning my female cat decided to jump up on the dresser where my G. rosea is. All it took was her to peer right down at Fuzzy to illicit an uncharacteristic wall crawl. To which she strikes a defensive pose scaring my cat half to death sending her falling from the dresser. To which my G. rosea calmly scales back down into her substrate as if nothing happened. I gave Fuzzy a cricket just for scaring the stuffings out of my cat just for peering through the lid.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Does anyone know how the average T-venom affects cats?
If mine keep getting up on the kitchen counter when they aren't supposed to we may find out.

Adrian

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Diced into cubes and frozen, it should provide tarantula food for at least a year ;)

Several pet store employees from local stores probably think I'm more than a little off-kilter considering that whenever I'm looking at the warm-blooded animals, I wonder out loud about how good of spider food they would make. I got a particularly crazy look when I remarked that the sugar gliders were "Expensive treats, but my spiders deserve the very best." I'm surprised I'm still allowed in the store.

Adrian