My spiders.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What kind of spider is the yellow one, shes beautiful? Are the others sand spiders?
She's a Platythomisus octomaculatus aka 8 spot crab spider. The first 2 and last 1 are 6 eyed sand spiders yes. Sicarius thomisoides.

basin79

ArachnoGod
The African members of Sicariidae were moved from genus Sicarius to Hexophthalma somewhat recently. :)

That dark red is so cool compared to the dusty grey that S. thomisoides have (which are also awesome looking). Great addition.
Aye. I was told on Instagram earlier about the name change due to being African. This lass has really confused me as she's got no dust on her so has the recently moulted look but her abdomen is huge so it looks like she's due to moult.

Here's my male a couple of weeks after moulting

and after months have passed

Their colour comes from the dust and sand particles their hairs trap.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Glad she made it out OK, even though one of her legs got stuck.
Aye. I've kept them for years and this is the first time there's been a problem with any moulting. I've put a piece of cork bark in with my other 3 now. Once she's over her moult I'll add 1 to her enclosure too.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Aye. I've kept them for years and this is the first time there's been a problem with any moulting. I've put a piece of cork bark in with my other 3 now. Once she's over her moult I'll add 1 to her enclosure too.
Do they use the cork bark?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Do they use the cork bark?
I'm not sure but it will just give them the option. In the past mine have moulted on the side of their enclosure or I'm assuming on their back when I've found their moults.

This lass chose to moult like that though for some reason so if she's not now full grown the cork bark will be their.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just grabbed these via my phone. Both my Sicarius thomisoides slings moulted yesterday. 1 decided to use the cork bark I added whilst the other used the paper towel I use to block off a hole.

basin79

ArachnoGod
A really short video but I'm just happy to have gotten her on camera.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've had the female Gandanameno that appears 3rd in this video over 3 years now.