My Smerinigurus mesaensis gave birth today.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very cool, congrats. What's the common name for this species?

Bry

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dune scorpion is the common name. Might be hard too raise the babies because they are from the same place as desert haries and there hard too raise. I would love too see you do it successfully that would be great. Keep us posted.:)

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Because of the difficulty to raise this species, there are a couple methods you can attempt, but there is a chance you may loose the young either way.

1. Leave them alone and allow them to stay in with the mother.

2. Remove the young and place them individually into deli cups with moist paper towels. Keep the paper towels moist until the young reach an old enough age to survive in a similar habitat to the adults (If I recall, it is Skinheaddave who has been using this method with H. spinifer, but I'm unsure of his success).

adios,
edw. ;)

Either way, it's a chance.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe he can try leaving half of the babies with the mother, and the other half take and put in deli cups. then come back and let everyone know if either way worked and then other people can try that method.

larsen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good idea, i will try my best and let you know:)

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If any fall off her back, she may attempt to make a meal of them, which is common among disturbed parenting scorpions. Watch over them to make sure she doesn't get a tasty treat.

adios,
edw. ;)

good luck!

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
larsen how acive is your smeringurus mesaensis this is one of the species i want next?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, my results with the method stated are going to be skewed by the fact that I left the country for three weeks and the guy caring for the bugs really isn't a bug guy. I lost all but two of my spinifer as well as some other scorpion and spider babies. That asside, I may have some suggestions.

First of all, don't try to remove half and leave half. Chances are with the stress you cause, the remaining ones are going to end up on the dinner menu. What I would try doing is boosting the humidity for the entire enclosure. Since you only need to do this short term (a week or so until the babies wander off and you can seperate them), I'd suggest putting moist towels over the air holes of the enclosure. Usualy the mother would be giving birth in a burrow so the conditions would be far more humid than at the surface of their natural environment.

That's just my guess, thoug, as I have never worked with this species.

Cheers,
Dave

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you going to sell any of the young?:D

What instars are those babies? They look great!

larsen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Follow up with some new picture, babies are still going strong:)

Attachments

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Uhm....you know, my new scorpling looks just like that, but it was sold to me as an H. arizonensis...

Do desert hairies look like that when they're small, or is the guy I bought it from as dumb as I've always said he is? Here's a pic...

Attachments

larsen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hehe... it`s look like Smeringurus m to me;)

Very nice looking scorp.