My sister has baby lobster roaches in her room

RoseT

Arachnosquire
So my sister feeds these roaches to her leopard gecko, and she just told me she has all these babies running around in her enclosure and even saw some running up her wall.....Im gonna kill her!!..Anyone know a quick way to eliminate this, dont want the infestation to get any worse.....Whats the chances i will have an infestation? ....damn it now Im worried...

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If they are loose than you are in for a battle. Try to control them as they will infest your house very quickly.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Down here in the south lots of people buy then release Tokay Geckos in their homes to control roaches & whatnot, that may be an option?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
If she can't figure out a way to stop them from climbing out tell her to switch to B.lateralis. These can't climb glass.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Down here in the south lots of people buy then release Tokay Geckos in their homes to control roaches & whatnot, that may be an option?
Big NO. The snake keeping community is already getting hell for snakes becoming established, last thing we need is gecko news too.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
bait traps.

There was recently a thread on here about this. and a few said that they CANNOT INFEST YOUR HOUSE....:rolleyes:

I call their bluff on that one.

Good luck though, I hope you get it taken care of.

beckett5000

Arachnopeon
there is a zero percent chance you will have an infestation. As long as you have a neat house and there's not mass amounts of food laying around, any that may be loose and survive till summer will gladly leave for the outdoors. There's just not enough food or heat for them to thrive in doors, unless you provide the right enclosures. Careful about B.lateralis if she drops one of those guys you will be in big trouble! I have had lobsters for years, and any breeder that makes a living raising roaches will agree you're safe as far as an infestation goes. Anyone else who doesn't know their facts will tell you otherwise.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lobsters? Bait and moisture traps. With lats you're screwed if you drop a female, lol. Lobsters are not hardy roaches, they, as said, can and likely will survive until summer if they can find water and food crumbs. But as also noted, these are rarely an indoor pest and will leave for better conditions come spring.

Just make your house unappealing. No open food or leaking pipes...or dirty water filled dishes in the sink and you'll be roach free in no time.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With experience raising and losing individuals of both, I must say that lobsters are much more persistent than lateralis.

I never lost many lobsters(that I know of-some escaped from the T. cages and one or two dropped during cage cleanings) but after I sold my colony(and left for college) they were still around the house for 2 years or so. And they were breeding(I found a few babies in January when the house was in the 50's). My mom keeps the house immaculate and they still found various places to hide(under kitchen trashcan, laundry room where it is warmer and their may be moisture to be had, etc.). Gone now-but my mom was far from pleased.

I have lost a good number of lateralis. A tub of 500 or so babies fell over and it was like watching money run away. I think I only managed to sweep up half of them. The results of this? A year later a few adult females and males(at first we freaked but then I recognized the blonde males and remembered what happened) appeared in the bathroom and laundry room or in the kitchen at night.(again-places where they are most likely to find food/water. Your house does not need to be dirty by any measure for them to find just enough to sustain themselves). Most were quite slow moving and probably rather dehydrated. They failed to breed as that was the end of them.

Glue traps with bait will help-as well as keeping the house as inhospitable for them as possible. I think your sister should switch feeders-mealworms or dubia roaches would be a better option.(lateralis would be ok also but are a bit roachy looking if you are squeamish I'd pass on them).