My second tarantula speech

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well as you all may know I gave a speech about tarantulas in my communications class:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=192295

Well I did another, it was aimed to be an informative speech. I was last presenter of the day and I walked up with my 6.5" LP in a kritter keeper. As I was walking I heard someone say, "Are you taking it out?" to which I replied "Yes." At that point, the girl who is afraid of spiders and couldn't look at the slideshow in my last speech got up and moved to the back. And this football player, a big black guy, moved away. It was so funny.

I then got my LP out and began to handle it as I gave my speech, it worked it's way up to my shoulder, where it stayed for the rest of the speech. I then had to have someone hold the KK as I persuaded the LP back in. Everyone loved it. I lost 10 points though because I went over time by a minute and a half. Oh well, I had fun, and the teacher and the class really enjoyed it. At the end, I said I had crickets to feed it, if anyone wanted to watch. EVERYONE came up, even those who were scared of it. Unfortunately, I dropped them in and it would not eat... bummer. Everyone still thought it was cool to see one up close.

And Wednesday I will be giving a persuasive speech, persuading them to go out and buy one. I know that even if none of them go out and buy one, I will have informed them and they will better understand tarantulas. That is all I want, is for them to respect them and appreciate them. And from my last two speeches and comments made to me by the students, I really feel that they are really beginning to. I hope at least one person will come and talk to me about getting one.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
educate the masses ... the more people understand our "kids" the better off we will all be

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aren't communication classes fun?

I was scared to death when I understood that I would have to give speeches for it, but my class turned out awesome in the end. My topic ranged from PETA (anti) to horse slaughter to lyme disease amongst other things.

Congrats on helping a few more people realize that maybe they aren't so bad :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aren't communication classes fun?

I was scared to death when I understood that I would have to give speeches for it, but my class turned out awesome in the end. My topic ranged from PETA (anti) to horse slaughter to lyme disease amongst other things.

Congrats on helping a few more people realize that maybe they aren't so bad :D
I thought I was going to hate the class, but it ended up fun. I still tense up with public speaking though. But it's kind of helping.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
hehe. this gives me an idea. I'm taking Public Speaking next semester. It's a requirement for my university. I may speak about T's and have an excuse to bring a T to school! {D

Good luck on your next speech! I know you'll do well!

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought I was going to hate the class, but it ended up fun. I still tense up with public speaking though. But it's kind of helping.
Ahh you'll get used to that and it gets better for most (most).

I had speech and drama back in 7th/8th grade like, omg 26-27 years ago now (eeks!), and it was some of the best time I've had "in school". From there I was able to leverage some of that wisdom into being class president for 4 years of high school and had some nice additions to those early resumes :)

It's a valuable asset to have as you enter the workforce when you can speak well and convey ideas and opinions that help you get that leg up from the competition. Much more valuable than dodge ball and kick ball but each has it's place :D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool! Even if you did lose points for going over! We have that problem when educating about them as well.

We have brought Ts in to our daughters 1st and 2nd grade classes, and have plans with her 4th grade(she skipped 3rd this year) teacher to do the same this year. Surprisingly, the boys are usually the ones to show the most fear and the girls the most curiosity. Most of them have never seen a tarantula up close and personal, and none of them know any specifics on them; so it feels good to catch them young and educate them on these beautiful creatures. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
:clap: Great job Chris! You should get a +10 bonus for going a minute over! :p Do let us know if anyone decides to buy a eight legged bundle. Glad to hear your sharing the hobby with the people you interact with. I always bring up tarantulas when ever i get the chance! :D

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Ah, the dreaded public speaking. When I was in school that is the class that I dreaded more than any. I was soooo glad when I was done with that one. Congrats on your speech, maybe some of your classmates will follow suit and get themselves one.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well we have to have a call to action in our speech. And we can hand out some info. So I have printed off a paper with a list of good starter species, a basic NW terrestrial care sheet, and the address to this website along with my user name and the address to my website. Hopefully I can get at least one person to get a T.