my poor brown Haitian bird eater

kacodemon

Arachnopeon
so a week ago I found a big grasshopper I thought haitshyy would love to eat it turns out it had some sort of pesticide on it :'( now she's dying and she wasn't even full grown only had her year and a half old now she's dying slowly I wish I could put her out of her misery but hopes of:cry: her pulling through are still there if it doesn't work I'll be looking for a new Spider never agin will I feed from the yard

Last edited:

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's why it is never recommended to feed WC prey. I could Mount her if you like. Also note that there is very little to be done about pesticides with Ts. It isn't something an ICU can fix.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
I had the hardest time deciphering that. Safe to say you'll never feed someone you love wild caught bugs again.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Sorry to bring back an old thread.

But, I suppose as far as pesticides are concerned it would depend where you live. In a city I definitely avoid anything wild caught. I live in the suburbs of Colorado, I've fed all of my T's countless amounts of wild caught prey for a couple a years now. Nothing has happened, 'knock on wood'.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Sorry to bring back an old thread.

But, I suppose as far as pesticides are concerned it would depend where you live. In a city I definitely avoid anything wild caught. I live in the suburbs of Colorado, I've fed all of my T's countless amounts of wild caught prey for a couple a years now. Nothing has happened, 'knock on wood'.
I live in a holler deep in kentucky and it still makes me nervous thinking about WC feeders. : /

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
Thanks for sharing this as a reminder to those who might not know, though. I'm so fortunate to be able to use wild caught prey because I live miles and miles away from farms and people. I actually found my T in my yard. You might think "You're so lucky!!" buuuut think about hard it is to get services like reliable electricity or internet, or any kind of cell service, or groceries, or..dates. lol!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I used to feed WC insects until I saw a nematode infestation first hand. For me it's not worth losing a $200 Tarantula over.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I used to feed WC insects until I saw a nematode infestation first hand. For me it's not worth losing a $200 Tarantula over.
Would love to hear more about this, what did it look like? Can a T contract a nematode infection from WC prey?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Folks should not use pesticides nowdays when insects are about to die out!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I've always lived fairly rural with big buffer zones from neighbours so pesticides isn't a concern.
Worst offenders here for carrying internal worms and parasites are Asian house geckos, garden skinks, large moths and locusts.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/misc/mermis_nigrescens01.jpg&imgrefurl=https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/misc/mermis_nigrescens.htm&tbnid=n_-d7I5Cex32TM&vet=1&docid=cRqZTu2nNpwybM&w=500&h=301&hl=en-AU&source=sh/x/im
Oh wow! I was wondering, can i try this experiment with my crickets? If they do carry nematodes, would they crawl out like that if i submerge the cricket underwater?

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Yeah maybe, I think in the pics the liquid is like an alcohol to preserve it.

A few years ago we had a large wild praying mantis die on a windowsill and worms came out of it, it was brutal.
The thing is, that they can be in a seemingly healthy Tarantula for some time before it dies, I fed one of mine a couple WC insects a few years ago and it's fine but still worry about it cos it's my biggest T now lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I agree, how likely are they to catch it from wild caught prey? Hmm.
I guess it's like Russian roulette, maybe never. I know ppl that regularly feed their reptiles WC insects with no issues but then had a girl buy some hatchling angle head dragons from me that died in 6 months loaded with nematodes and she only fed them a few WC moths here and there.
It's simply whether or not you can afford to take a risk, you might not ever have a problem in 20 years or it could be a common thing in your area
Edit: whoops forgot to add the Latin name hypsilirus spinipes (spelling?)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I've lost 2 inverts to nematodes, both were WC (U.Novaehollandiae and an Idiosoma sp. trapdoor). Not the nicest way to lose something at all. I've had to treat my beardie for parasites as well and I think the most likely cause of contraction was probably WC locusts. He's been eating them for ages and only had it happen once, but I don't feed WC prey to anything else other than a wolf spider of I catch one