My Pokey has moulted!

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got home from work to see my P.regalis Jerry had moulted for the second time since I have had him. The first time he moulted was around 5 weeks ago. Should have taken a photo then too really.

Check out how much he has grown!

In this first picture, you can see his old skin next to a 10p coin:

Attachments

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And here he is again next to the same 10p coin. Hard to believe it but the coin is touching the side of the tank! He has grown 30-40% I think! I wish I could have seen him moulting, that would habe been incredible.

Attachments

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wow, what a beautiful T! the coloring of the Poecs never ceases to amaze me. :)

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so what is a pokie like compared to a H maculata. I hear that they don't web as much. so does that mean you will see it more. and as far as venom goes is it stronger than a maculata? I really like the colors on the inderside of the legs, do all pokies have this?

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't really know much about H.maculata. What I'll say is that my Pokie doesn't web a great deal, but he does like to web up a little around his piece of bark. Pokies are supposed to have pretty potent venom and as such should not be handled.

I really like the colouring on my Pokey too. When he is fully grown those white bands on his legs will turn yellow. They are starting to colour up now actually, as his new skin is hardening up:D

Last edited:

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
so what is a pokie like compared to a H maculata. I hear that they don't web as much. so does that mean you will see it more. and as far as venom goes is it stronger than a maculata? I really like the colors on the inderside of the legs, do all pokies have this?

im kinda wondering the same thing, i also wanan know if the H.maculata has a high growth rate or not, i have a sling about and inch long and i wanna know how long its going to take s/he to get large

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought an 1in H.maculata in march and the thing is now at least 3.5in- I'm not sure on an exact messurement because I hardly ever see it, but it has grown fast! Faster than my usmabaras. The venom from H.maculata is supposed to be pretty nasty and mine at least is the nastiest tempered T in my collection with the usambaras a very close second. H.maculta might even be quicker than the usambara. The bad thing about them is they do like to hide and seem to hate light- mine moved substrate into his webbing to block light. But man they look good when ya see them! I use a wooden chopstick to get cricket parts out quickly as possible and this guy is so nasty the chopstick has come out of the cage a few time with drops of venom on it.
I also have a sling P.ornata and a P.regalis that's about 3in. They are always in sight behind their corbark and haven't webbed nearly as much as the maculata. They are nervous but I find them more shy and much more manageable than the maculata who seems out to kill me. In my opinion if you can manage a H.maculata you can manage a pokie. Keep in mind- mine are still growing and I might change that opinion when the pokies are at full size. But from what I've read they stay shy and if they act anything like they do now it will be 10x better than this H.maculata. Besides that there are a hell of a lot of pics showing people handling pokies---Ever seen someone holding an H.mac?! I don't think so......

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by SurfinJB
I bought an 1in H.maculata in march and the thing is now at least 3.5in- I'm not sure on an exact messurement because I hardly ever see it, but it has grown fast! Faster than my usmabaras. The venom from H.maculata is supposed to be pretty nasty and mine at least is the nastiest tempered T in my collection with the usambaras a very close second. H.maculta might even be quicker than the usambara. The bad thing about them is they do like to hide and seem to hate light- mine moved substrate into his webbing to block light. But man they look good when ya see them! I use a wooden chopstick to get cricket parts out quickly as possible and this guy is so nasty the chopstick has come out of the cage a few time with drops of venom on it.
I also have a sling P.ornata and a P.regalis that's about 3in. They are always in sight behind their corbark and haven't webbed nearly as much as the maculata. They are nervous but I find them more shy and much more manageable than the maculata who seems out to kill me. In my opinion if you can manage a H.maculata you can manage a pokie. Keep in mind- mine are still growing and I might change that opinion when the pokies are at full size. But from what I've read they stay shy and if they act anything like they do now it will be 10x better than this H.maculata. Besides that there are a hell of a lot of pics showing people handling pokies---Ever seen someone holding an H.mac?! I don't think so......
The H.Mac sounds like a cool T, I have a 1 incher in a vile right now it has showed no aggrshion towards me, it does flee when it sees light though alot of the time, sometimes before i go to bed im too lazy to get up and turn on my light so i have a flash light that i use and it is alwayz at the top of its tank and the flash light light dosent really bother him, i hope he turns out like your i usally get to see the T's tha everyone says you dont see awhole lot cuz im up late at nighht when they take there strolls so ill probably end up seeing it out and about, thanks for the info man

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I own both a 4" H. maculata and 6 pokies. The mac isn't very aggressive at all towards me. It usually just freezes where ever it is and right when I turn my back she's gone. Definitely one of the most secretive and least seen of my T's. And when it comes to pre-molt time she fills her entire cage with webbing making her inpossible to see.
My poecs seem to be similar tempered to the mac, but are much more visible since they don't web up a lot. One of my bigger females hates it when I clean her cage. Sometimes she comes out and shows be her bright yellow warning markings underneath her front legs.

And they both hate light.

Jim B.