My Pachypodiums and other Caudiciforms

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Every so often something truly surprises you, well blooming for it’s first time in its life this supposed, at least that’s what the seeds said, P. densiflorum var. brevicaulx it’s got me very interested to say the least. The color is a little more washed out than I expect for true to type was expecting darker yellow, but it’s a washed out light yellow, shape is fairly close on flower, but not exact, and the caudex is a little bit more upright than some var. brevicaulx’s, I’d expect it to more closely resemble P. brevicaule with densiflorum traits, and less like some other in this genus. but this individual was grown in part shade so may be a little leggy in the caudex. Buuuut it’s 4 petaled....... and I looked at the other blooms and the outside looks like they are also 4 petaled.... Bizarre cause all pachypodiums are 5 petaled! It’s definitely a Pachypodium but some strange variation/cross/mutation. I am leading towards this actually being a cross between possibly P. eburneum and P. densiflorum var. brevicaulx. If not may just be some var. within densiflorum or eburneum. There have been some crosses in the genus from time to time. If I had another individual of this suspected species I would pollinate them to breed for possibly this petal mutation.
60335575-D18D-41EC-BD88-72C7E3281C26.jpeg 332131B1-32A3-4190-AD1B-8658F17B174C.jpeg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I wasnt sure what was going on with them they were dormant for around 4 months, and were among the last of my plants to wake up out of dormancy in texas. But boy did they wake up!!! the growth on one has be be over 10-12ft now, was 6 foot straight up before vining around. I could prune them to create denser growth but I just want them to fully establish in their new environment.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Here’s some better photos of the Dioscorea elephantipes caudices that are now growing!! 89F89079-C39D-40E5-9B00-A4115C115FDB.jpeg 131F009D-7E77-4DC3-8CEB-F6E4E2DA6E23.jpeg A47F9676-5878-459F-B85C-F59E48131958.jpeg 677B2606-8623-4D97-A30A-603E7ADBBEDD.jpeg 50DF2184-C500-49CE-AE4D-C6DBE99498DD.jpeg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Wow, those flowers are stunning! Aesthetically very interesting with the shape overall.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Wow, those flowers are stunning! Aesthetically very interesting with the shape overall.
Thank you!! Aren’t they just incredible(flower and overall)!?? And I just had a bloom of my wild Echinocereus reichenbachii cacti! Which are truly incredible blooms for such a small cactus!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not a caudiciforms but too amazing of flowers not to share. Just had an incredible bloom out of my collected Echinocereus reichenbachii cacti. I believe the common name for them is Lace hedgehog cacti. I found these on a property I was working at and I collected a few, will be going back soon to collect a truly incredible specimen. F8118755-1FA7-4C45-A294-CD25328D605C.jpeg A8D3C557-D84E-4BEA-B4EC-6AED1F9A7793.jpeg 45A11DF4-CA37-41A1-8708-FAA3510E0555.jpeg 76A10585-21EE-4AF4-A38F-93B9D067EB0B.jpeg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Those are incredible! I'm always impressed by how cactus flowers can be bigger than the cactus.
I found these on a property I was working at and I collected a few, will be going back soon to collect a truly incredible specimen
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm assuming you have a good reason for collecting cacti in the wild? Many species are at serious risk of extinction from overcollecting, and all are CITES II listed.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Those are incredible! I'm always impressed by how cactus flowers can be bigger than the cactus.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm assuming you have a good reason for collecting cacti in the wild? Many species are at serious risk of extinction from overcollecting, and all are CITES II listed.
Yeah there definitely incredible!!

and yeah I know! This is at a property I’m working at that actually wants all the cacti, rocks, and cedar removed. I stumbled upon a old grove of this species. I will be going back to rescue a few more large old specimens as soon as I get a big enough pot.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Snapped a close up picture of one of my Echinocereus reichenbachii. Got some great details on the spines :) Taken in broad daylight at ISO 100, 1/100 at f.8.0. Its a shame downsizing it so much! Cacti Macro.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My favorite Pachypodium gracilius in both color and black and white. Pachypodium gracilius-2.jpg Pachypodium gracilius.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My little alien that this year showed its true colors by flowering the first time I have ever seen it do so signaling its maturity, which for pachypodiums is a long time frame, many years. It was supposed to be a Pachypodium cf. ebuerneum but its flower is not representative of a true cf. ebuerneum, I got these seeds from collected specimens in Madagascar so hybrids are possible. From knowing the flowers I believe it is P. cf. eburneum x densiflorum. Pachypodium cf. eburneum x densiflorum Double Flower.jpg Pachypodium cf. ebuerneum x densiflorum_-3.jpg Pachypodium cf. ebuerneum x densiflorum_-2.jpg Pachypodium cf. ebuerneum x densiflorum_.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My beloved old seed grown Pachypodium cactipes. This along with my oldest P. saundersii were the very first pachies to ever sprout up into my life. This P. cactipes has lived in my house's on a windowsill its entire life. Not until this year has it really lived outside, and it did wonderful. You can see the incredible texture in its cracked skin. It will be getting a new pot this year!!
Pachypodium cactipes full.jpg Pachypodium cactipes 2.jpg Pachypodium cactipes Macro 2.jpg Pachypodium cactipes Macro.jpg

woodie

Arachnosquire
If you like pachypodiums check out Myrmecodia and Hydnophytum as well.
Have caudexes and for invert fans house ants in the wild

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you like pachypodiums check out Myrmecodia and Hydnophytum as well.
Have caudexes and for invert fans house ants in the wild
Yeah they are both great genera. I have a big H. formicarum back in the greenhouse in NJ and I gave my H. moseleyanum to my friend as a gift!