My new Ethmostigmus rubripes is a little intimidating...

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Well, today I received my new pede, a subadult (16cm) Ethmostigmus rubripes. It is extremely aggressive (I'll have fun trying to tame it like my late morsitans), and within seconds of being introduced into its new enclosure began to attempt an escape by climbing up the gel that holds the panes of my enclosure together. It reached the top after about a minute. Here's a video of it in the process. Enjoy!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
They can be great escape artists. Hopefully it'll settle down once acclimated.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah. I think it is impossible for it to escape its enclosure, but that doesn't mean I'm not worried about it getting repeatedly stuck on the ceiling of the enclosure.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Well, today I received my new pede, a subadult (16cm) Ethmostigmus rubripes. It is extremely aggressive (I'll have fun trying to tame it like my late morsitans), and within seconds of being introduced into its new enclosure began to attempt an escape by climbing up the gel that holds the panes of my enclosure together. It reached the top after about a minute. Here's a video of it in the process. Enjoy!
Where did you get it? I've been looking for one for ages and nobody as them for sale

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I got it from a pet shop at Mt Gravatt a couple of months ago (I just moved it into my Morsitans' old enclosure, as it had outgrown the other). However, an organization called Minibeast Wildlife says that may be selling some (the blue-legged Kuranda variant) later in the year. I'm in touch with them on FB messenger, so I will be able to keep you updated with their progress.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah. I think it is impossible for it to escape its enclosure, but that doesn't mean I'm not worried about it getting repeatedly stuck on the ceiling of the enclosure.
Get a piece of perspex and silicone it to the ceiling if you can. What's the lid like?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Btw, is that black dot on its leg something I should be worried about? I'm not sure how old this one is, but it's about 10cm shorter than the maximum size for this species, so I presume it's got a good bit of life left in it. I just hope it isn't on death's door.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Btw, is that black dot on its leg something I should be worried about? I'm not sure how old this one is, but it's about 10cm shorter than the maximum size for this species, so I presume it's got a good bit of life left in it. I just hope it isn't on death's door.
I've had W/C pedes arrive with black marks and always presumed they where bites off prey. Obviously in the wild they'd take on prey that might be bigger and/or be very capable of injuring them.

I don't know though.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Ah yes, I presume so. I know this one came from a locality where there are many potential prey items that could put up a good fight (bulldog raspy crickets, scorpions and Ts to name a few).