My new A.geniculata photos

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So here it goes, my first thread.
This is my new A. geniculata, and I just got her (him?) a few days ago.
She's only about 2 inches, and when I came in this morning she was out showing off. She's very active and doesn't seem to hide very much. The cool thing is her burrow. This side of the cage was originally blacked out, so she had made her burrow right against the wall. Now I keep it covered with a black paper peek-hole door, so I can open it up and see her when she's in the burrow. Nifty, actually. What strange contortions she goes through to turn around in that small space! She doesn't jump or in any other way seem to mind it when I open the door, as though it's just a part of life to have the occasional burst of light in her otherwise dark home. Yesterday she had her underside right against the glass, so I was able to get a really good look at the epigastric furrow. I think she's a she, but I'm not sure if I can call that even an educated guess. Next time I can see her undersides I'll take a picture and maybe some of you might be able to hazard a guess at her sex. Anyhow, thanks for looking at my first thread!
Tamara :D :D

Attachments

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pics are a bit tiny, but I must say; that looks like a really cool home for a T! What are those green plant-things?

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeha i am more interested in the tererrium than your T..although the T is beautiful and now on my list of to gets'...tell us about your T's home please!!

Mainly because if those are real plants..how do you keep the soil at the right moisture without allowing mites and mold growth...I am very interested as this is something i would love to do with some of my T's.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
genic's are so beautiful—what a wonderful spider!

thanks for sharing!

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, I can't be credited with the terrarium. I bought it like that. The burrow was so nice that I couldn't oust the spider from it and put it into an unfamiliar cage, so I asked the guy if I could by the terrarium too. It does look pretty spiffy with plants and all, but the little green things are a ruse - their just green aquarium stones. I've never used them before, but they were in there when I got it. The T just moves them around as needed. I guess if the T doesn't mind them, then I'll keep them in! It's funny to see her carrying these brilliant green things with her fangs.
Tamara

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pixi,
As for mites and mold, I've haven't had to deal with them yet. Previously, I had another terrarium set up with a different T and I changed the soil every few months so I wouldn't have any problems. However, that T didn't burrow. I'm not sure what I'll do if this terrarium gets mites. I'd hate to have to destroy her burrow just to change the soil. I know there are some predatory mites that can be put in to keep the pest mites in check. Anybody else know anything about this? In the past, I never had a problem with mold. Maybe it has something to do with the climate where I live; afterall, Edmonton is mostly winter. Mold just ain't something we do well up here.
Tamara

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow those green stone look like little plants from the picture....adds a nice touch to the atmosphere of the environment

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How much did you pay for it?? I am now looking to get one of those...very pretty

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yikes! What with all the talk of $4 T's, I'm embarassed to admit how much I paid! She cost me $50 (Canadian).

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
For a 2" Giant White Knee in Canada thats a decent price. I am going to be ordering a 1" White Knee next week for $30 Canadian. And trust me I have seen them for alot more than $50 elsewhere. Nice T and nice pics. Wish they were a bit bigger but they will suffice. If you are able to get more pics post them but make them a little bigger. Thnx

TheDon

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tried bigger photos but I had to shrink them in order to post them. Maybe I wasn't doing something right. Perhaps I have to make them with a smaller resolution overall so I can make the image bigger without the file size being too large. Any tips?
Tamara

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't entirely understand that, and I can't remember what the exact limitations for pics here are, but just try to resize your digital pics to 640*480, and make them jpg(if they're not already) if they're too big bytewise.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
as far as posting pics, you can shrink them down a bit but yes, also lower the resolution. depending on the program you're using, you have to do that different ways. photoshop makes it ridiculously easy. i hate compromising resolution though so i just end up shrinking mine. (grin)

i have never had them come out that small though, even though normally mine start out huge. maybe experiment with it a bit?

good luck. :)

beautiful T and lovely terrarium, the green stones are definitely an eye-catcher/fooler!