My Most Agressive T

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I know there have been alot of threads like this but I just wanted to share a bit and I have a question.

out of all my T's my most agressive would have to be my Aphonopelma Anax! I dont mean defensive ither! everytime i open her cage she runs out of her hide and throws up a display! i have had her lunge at me too!

My OBT hasnt even given me a display yet! she just runs and hides! I would rather attemt handling her than my A.Anax!

is this normal behavior for an A.Anax or do i just have a special bratt?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do think you mean 'defensive'. That's classic defensive behavior. You disturbed the t's habitat, and that's how he/she chose to defend it.

As for whether it's standard for the species.... not a clue, I don't have any. :?

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
I do think you mean 'defensive'. That's classic defensive behavior. You disturbed the t's habitat, and that's how he/she chose to defend it.

As for whether it's standard for the species.... not a clue, I don't have any. :?
lets try again!

Its responses like this that really disturb me and make me wish I could reach through the internet and literally strangle some people to death! OP said in opening post, "I dont mean defensive ither!"

What do you think Aggressive means? seriously, all you walking, Bull jiving, Britanica's, wikipedia's, and google masters make me sick!!! See I'm aggressive and defensive all at the same time. Just because OP didn't use the wording you would have used, doesn't make it wrong. Maybe you can make your own thread and insert defensive instead!!!! I'm pretty sure OP ment AGGRESSIVE. insert, chew, swallow... in you case just swallow.

I think aggressiveness comes with the age of your T, I have several of the same species here that display different attitudes, the meanest is the smallest, the nicest is the biggest. Could be you simply ended up with the badest T around. lol. who knows.

Like Kori said, you disturbing the T is causing it to become Defensive.... Because it is aggrevated> Therefore it defends its self and home very aggressively. Bottom line, Aggressiveness is a primary display, and being defensive is a secondary display. After all it could go on offense?!?

I'm not sure how many T's you have or how much time you can devote to your A. anax, but perhaps you can spend some extra time during the week "disturbing" your T. Maybe your T will get use to you performing the various tasks that you do over time? On the same note, maybe your bothering it too much. It could really be a number of things. Maybe it simply doesn't feel comfortable? Have you thought about rearranging the housing? Maybe it feels backed in a corner all the time?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it much. T's have a mind of their own. Some are mean and some aren't, sounds like you got one of the mean ones.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Kori, good head-off!! :clap:

lets try again!

Its responses like this that really disturb me and make me wish I could reach through the internet and literally strangle some people to death! OP said in opening post, "I dont mean defensive ither!"

What do you think Aggressive means? seriously, all you walking, Bull jiving, Britanica's, wikipedia's, and google masters make me sick!!! See I'm aggressive and defensive all at the same time. Just because OP didn't use the wording you would have used, doesn't make it wrong. Maybe you can make your own thread and insert defensive instead!!!! I'm pretty sure OP ment AGGRESSIVE. insert, chew, swallow... in you case just swallow.

I think aggressiveness comes with the age of your T, I have several of the same species here that display different attitudes, the meanest is the smallest, the nicest is the biggest. Could be you simply ended up with the badest T around. lol. who knows.

Like Kori said, you disturbing the T is causing it to become Defensive.... Because it is aggrevated> Therefore it defends its self and home very aggressively. Bottom line, Aggressiveness is a primary display, and being defensive is a secondary display. After all it could go on offense?!?

I'm not sure how many T's you have or how much time you can devote to your A. anax, but perhaps you can spend some extra time during the week "disturbing" your T. Maybe your T will get use to you performing the various tasks that you do over time? On the same note, maybe your bothering it too much. It could really be a number of things. Maybe it simply doesn't feel comfortable? Have you thought about rearranging the housing? Maybe it feels backed in a corner all the time?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it much. T's have a mind of their own. Some are mean and some aren't, sounds like you got one of the mean ones.
YBR, :wall: Yeah, that's just what the hobby needs- A thread continuing without any argument whatsoever that the defensiveness of our t's isn't at least in some way ALWAYS initially provoked- which simultaneously adds to bad publicity for the hobby and IS NOT TRUE.

Mam'x, I believe that tarantulas in captivity often adopt the entire enclosure as their burrow which they will defend if the need is felt. My most defensive currently is L klugi. However, I can still reach in and nudge her onto my hand after all the drama but don't often because she prefers to be left alone. P. ornata #2 gave me it's first threat display the other day. However, it seemed skittish, almost apologetic (wishful thinking, anyway{D) a short while later.

Contrary to many, and I may get flamed for saying this, but I also believe you often get what you expect. I've had A hentzi over the years that would stay defensive and never allow handling. Seeing that at the time I was doing things like reaching in near the front legs when attempting to handle :wall:, also my fear level was higher at the time, What should I have expected? I was initially more afraid of spiders than any other living organism. Over time, I came to the realization that they're not out to get me. Once I realized his, the threat displays came far less, although have never entirely disappeared. I realize that the more ow species and arboreals that I add to the collect, the more the defensiveness may increase. However, I'd almost bet that it will not be as bad as those first days of keeping. In a nutshell- I firmly believe they can sense fear, too. :)

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I noticed that my contribution to this thread could be taken as derailing or steering toward a pro-handling thread which was certainly not my intention. ;)

Have a good day!

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
Terry, I wasn't suggesting that the T was being Aggressive/Defensive for no reason at all. Its clear from the OP's original post that some provication was indeed making the T upset. What I was saying is that Aggression is a Primary Behavior. Being Defensive is a Secondary Behavior. In this case I believe Aggression is displayed first. Something has to have some clear motivation to become Defensive. 1st line of motivation is Being Disturbed, next comes aggrivated, and then comes weather or not to be Defensive or Offensive. OP clearly states, "everytime i open her cage she runs out of her hide and throws up a display!"

I think that I've clearly explained my thoughts on weather OP means Aggressive or Defensive. again I dont have to explain that either as it was already stated as well, some people just dont read. I just don't see why OP's always gets their balls busted because of some reason or another, in this case someone thinks OP means something different. Unless OP changes their mind about there own words, I dont understand why we can't approach the Topic as is? Aggressive! It doesn't appear that OP made a mental error and put aggressive instead of Defensive. If they had I could understand a little correction.

For the record, I did no such thing to try and bring an arguement to the table that disputes a T having a reaction without some sort of provication at all. If there is something specific that I said that leads you to think I Think this way, let me clear it up for you. In no way shape or form was it ever in my mind to intentionally or accidently lead anyone to believe that I think a T displays aggression without initially being provoked.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lets try again!
Yes, let's try again

Its responses like this that really disturb me and make me wish I could reach through the internet and literally strangle some people to death!
Wow, this was completely unnecessary and way over the top, considering your post only goes on to argue semantics.

OP said in opening post, "I dont mean defensive ither!"
It honestly doesn't matter that the OP said that, because Kori was correcting the mistaken interpretation of their tarantula's behavior. The OP was invading its home and therefore was a threat, so it reacted in the only way it is able to. A threat display is not aggressive behavior, it is defensive. It is saying back off and leave me alone in the typical tarantula fashion. Yes, it may seem aggressive to the OP, but it is not possible for a T to be passively defensive. It can't just come out into the open and yell at you to get off its property, so it does what it can do and that is a threat display.

What do you think Aggressive means? seriously, all you walking, Bull jiving, Britanica's, wikipedia's, and google masters make me sick!!! See I'm aggressive and defensive all at the same time.
I would add over the top rude, but since I detest the niceness police, I will choose to see your comment as a nice fluffy kitten. :)

Just because OP didn't use the wording you would have used, doesn't make it wrong.
It is an incorrect interpretation of the tarantulas reactions and it was pointed out to them, quite politely I would like to add.

Maybe you can make your own thread and insert defensive instead!!!! I'm pretty sure OP ment AGGRESSIVE. insert, chew, swallow... in you case just swallow.
The OP may have meant to type aggressive, but once again, it was an incorrect interpretation of their tarantula's behavior.

All Ts have their own personalities and behaviors, so age has nothing to do with it. In fact, Ts can change personalities from molt to molt, and from newly molted to premolt.

Like Kori said, you disturbing the T is causing it to become Defensive.... Because it is aggrevated> Therefore it defends its self and home very aggressively.
Hmmm........ to restate this would be arguing semantics, so I will refrain.

Bottom line, Aggressiveness is a primary display, and being defensive is a secondary display. After all it could go on offense?!?
However, you did lose me with this.... not trying to rude, but I honestly can't puzzle out your meaning.

I'm not sure how many T's you have or how much time you can devote to your A. anax, but perhaps you can spend some extra time during the week "disturbing" your T. Maybe your T will get use to you performing the various tasks that you do over time?
In my opinion this wouldn't help the situation.

On the same note, maybe your bothering it too much.
This could be a possibility.

It could really be a number of things. Maybe it simply doesn't feel comfortable? Have you thought about rearranging the housing? Maybe it feels backed in a corner all the time?
My first question for the OP would be: How big is its enclosure?

If you keep them in small enclosures, the entire enclosure is their territory and home, causing the immediate defensive reaction. Which is what you are saying with the above bolded statement and I agree.

It is also possible that it wants to burrow and is unable to, due to not being given enough substrate to do so.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it much. T's have a mind of their own.
Yes, Ts have a mind of their own, that runs entirely off instinct. So, when it feels that big rush of air when the enclosure is opened, it instinctively identifies it as a large threatening 'something' and runs out to tell it to get off its lawn, while shaking its fist in the air.

Some are mean and some aren't, sounds like you got one of the mean ones.
and who knows, perhaps after it molts again, the OP will have an extremely docile T that is very tolerant of cage maintenance. However, if it is in a small enclosure like I said above, I don't know that it will change temperament.

Now, I will ask you a question. If you go over to a friend's house and they tell you beforehand that they have a very aggressive pet, what are you going to imagine in your head?

Me, and anyone else I have asked the question, would naturally assume that the pet is going to be gunning for them if they make the wrong move. You tell them you have a very defensive pet, and they will know that they will need to leave it alone and it will leave them alone. Which word is better to use for the hobby in general and a more accurate description of the tarantulas actions?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We all know what aggressive and defensive means, and how they are different, but I guess the second we start getting tarantulas those definitions blurr and somehow become the same thing to some people. I don't know, just my thought.

Back to topic, my P. cancerides that I just got is so freaking fast and mean lol. It will throw a threat display, slap a couple
times, then turn around and book it the other way. Actually got out of it's enclosure and started runnin up my wall one night. Not gonna handle that one.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Defensive... how is that even an argument... lol, I mean the only way I could ever see a T being aggressive is if it tries to run up the side of the cage jumps out and start attacking you repeatedly. Anything inside it's enclosure is 100% defensive. If a burglar came into your house, you'd be in defense mode wouldnt you? :D

Aggression is actually like the opposite of defensive IMO

Titandan

Arachnopeon
I think most Tarantula owners who understand the "fear and horror" that some ignorant people express.

I think the first responder to the OP(original poster) just wanted to clarify that Tarantulas don't go around looking for humans to aggravate or bother. Aggressive tends to imply bully-like behavior. But from our standpoint, if an animal giving a threat display may look like aggressive behavior.

I think the OP just meant that this particular tarantula was different from other tarantulas. Their threat display was followed by a "lunge." Anyhow, I think it's just a communication problem. If we can just let it go, we can address the issue by the OP. Can we try to understand what the poster is saying instead of having to correct them all the time? Yes. Can we get over the fact that some are prone to correct? Yes...

Now if we can just address the question...

Is this normal(extreme defensive) behavior for an A.Anax or do i just have a special brat?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is this normal(extreme defensive) behavior for an A.Anax or do i just have a special brat?
I do not have an A. anax. I do however, have 2 other Aphonopelma species, both are extremely docile, but I do believe that most Aphonopelma species are known to be. Ours like to burrow down in mid fall or so, and stay there until late winter/ early spring, when they resurface hungry and in their pretty new clothes.

The A. hentzi is a juvie and the A. sp.Guatemala isn't mature quite yet, but it is at a rough guesstimate, 4/5" D(iagonal)L(eg)S(pan). The A. hentzi is in an enclosures that we have constructed, that is 8"X8"X4 1/2". It has a slope of substrate that gradually goes from about 3 1/2" to 2 1/2". The actual spider is 2-2 1/2" DLS. The A sp.Guatemala is in a 2 1/2 gallon tank with about 5" of substrate. Both have a chunk of cork bark overhanging the beginning of their burrows. Like I said they aren't the same species, but they are in the same genus. Perhaps a description of our housing might help. :)

I am unsure what type of enclosure you have for it, but do you have a picture of it, or care to offer a description? I just have to wonder, because the only time we saw a threat display from our A. hentzi was right before we rehoused it to a larger enclosure. The cute little guy came tearing out of his burrow shook his fists at us and then slapped the ground a couple times. It was so small that is was giggle inducing, but he has never acted like that since. Just points to ponder.:)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By definition, that defensive mechanisms used by the T's implies aggressiveness, so yes. You can say aggressive.
IMO, as stupid is the idea of tarantulas aggressively trying to attack you, as the new idea that you just cant call a tarantula aggressive.

Yes, they show aggression, wheter is by instinct, for protection, for defense...Is aggressivity

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
To answer the original, non semantical, question.... yes, although rare, it is normal for Aphonopelma anax and other Aphonopelma spp. to be aggressive in its habitat. This could mean though that it doesn't feel secure in its container and you may want to re-evaluate how you have it setup. I've seen several Aphonopelma spp. both in the wild in captivity act out in the way you described but settled down eventually when left alone.

- Lonnie

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
WOW I didnt expect such a contravercy! lol I did indeed mean that My T was acting agressive. The reason I say agresive is because I have a bunch of other T's and this one Is the only one that gets agrivated by the smallest things! she has attacked the tank wall at the site of another T in a difforent container(6" away from her tank).

I have defensive T's and they trow up a display but usualy retreat before attacking me. I have been bit by my A.anax around 4 times. she WILL climb the wall of her tank in order to kick me out of her home.

Also her tank is a medium sized kritter keeper filled halfway with coco fiber. she has pleanty of room for moving around but not too much. she also has made herself a nice looking burrow. I am pretty good with the housing of my T's. though it is possable she is a special brat who needs extra care.

another thing that just happend last night was she webbed up the front of her den alot! she is still beeing cranky too! first I thought she might be gravid but she is only 3" and molted recently so i have no clue what she is up to.

sAdam

Arachnopeon
my obt seems to have a multiple personality disorder. his demeanor changes with every molt / rehousing. he was a super fiesty little sling then he became a hidey bitch, now he comes out and hisses at me whenever i piss him off even a little. he even did his alien face hugger routine the other day when i started to open his lid to water him. just launched himself at the top of the enclosure fangs first, i admit, i jumped.

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
My A.Hentzi can be quite the brat- when on her turf. She frequently attacks water as its going into her dish, put holes in a piece of cardboard (I was using to block her off from the part of the tank I was doing something or another in)... but when she's out, which is next to never, she acts like a perfect lady.

My OBT, as interesting as he is when he actually comes out, hardly ever does. If I wanted to, which I don't, I could probably reach in there& do what I have to. But like I said, I do not wish to do so& he doesn't show the slightest bit of interest in the tongs, etc that are poking about in his tank.

k2power

Arachnoknight
I am really tired of the arguing about aggressive/defensive. Anbody describing a tarantula as a aggressive is only simply implying the tarantula has the propensity to bite when disturbed as opposed to doing nothing, running, or kicking hairs. Maybe passive or aggressive is a better comparison as to their reaction when disturbed. These bitey spiders that come lunging are putting themselves at risk to do so and in my book are acting aggressively in their defense of territory or self if they choose to fight over retreating to the burrow. We all know what is being described when they are described as aggressive. Lunging and biting. I believe aggressive is a better term to use around lay people so they know what behavior to expect. If you tell someone that a tarantula is defensive, who knows what they are expecting the behavior to be like. Aggressive means the same to almost anyone. Does "aggressive" give the wrong impression that an OBT or cobalt blue will often bite when encountered in the cage. Not at all.