My male P.murius got ate!

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well wish me luck because my male didn't even make it two weeks before he became lunch. He must of quit vacuuming the cage!:D Hoping for an eggsac though!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think if I ever breed spiders i will immediately remove the male because i wouldnt want this kind of episode to occur. I would cry.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Good luck! I heard human females try to eat their mates sometime too, all teeth and claws and hissing noises.

-V

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did you see the mating happen? Why didn't you just take the male out after they mated to save him if you needed him again?

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:D Hey Vayu Son, I liked that response!

I was just seeing how long he would make it in there with her before he got ate. Now when I mate my T.blondi, I will not leave the male in there with her since I want to try more than once and hope for success!

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
another mating hehehehehe

Got a 2 males in today via express, just mated my Haplopelma Lividum (the male lived go figure) and my selenecosmia dicromata ( well needless to say she killed him after doin his duty) hey petite well just think of it this way after they mate its a big lunch for her just before the eggsac

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I think if I ever breed spiders i will immediately remove the male because i wouldnt want this kind of episode to occur. I would cry.
This is how I feel, too, but sometimes it just isn't possible to get a mating without letting them actually cohabit, and you always run the risk of the male getting killed in that situation. Even with supervision it can happen. I had a crawshayi male get killed while I was right there, spoon in hand--it happened so fast! :(

I also had a coloratovillosus male who got bitten by the female, but I got him out, patched him up, and was able to save him, at least.

Joy

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive heard that if you stand there with a spray bottle, ready and waiting, after the mating, if there is any threatful movements, start spraying the female, fast, I just dont know if it would work on tarantulas as well though.....=D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I certainly found it much easier to let P murinus cohabitate, then to try and supervise LOL! They actually made it over 2 months both times, with 2 different females, and males. My girl that just ate the male last week is now doing more major renovations, the nice thing is that her burrow is right up against the side of the pet pal, so I can see what is going on. She is the fatest Usambara I've ever seen, so I'm sure she's getting ready! I take it as a good sign, if the male is eaten, after co-habitating anyway

betelgeuse

Arachnopeon
I always leave the male in with the female even if I know that they have mated.

If they cohabit for a while then there is a chance that they might mate again.

Plus, some of the breeders I know have observed that the eggsac is more likely to be fertile if the female eats the male. A male spider is highly nutritional for the female and it is thought that it is this big boost in nutrients that is the reason for this. Remember that it is a huge strain on the female's physique.

Of course, it could just be coincidence, but just a thought. I always obtain permission from the owner of the male if it is not mine. If I send a male off to be bred, then I always tell the owner to leave him in the tank.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
Well wish me luck because my male didn't even make it two weeks before he became lunch. He must of quit vacuuming the cage!:D Hoping for an eggsac though!
Becky, good luck to you! You never told me you were gonna pair up. Awesome.

Jack, just got some males? Didn't give 'em time to recover from jet-lag?

I would say, 98% of the time I will introduce a male to do his thing, and then remove him. The only instance of female aggression post mating was the Cyclosternum fasciatum (thanks for the male Patrick!). The embrace turned dark when she would let him go. I heard the audible "crunch", and then broke things up with a net handle. He was intact pretty much, sans pedipalp. At the request of the person who loaned me the male, I placed him back in as extra nutrition for the female. Bless his little spider soul. Some keepers believe chances of obtaining a fertile eggsac may increase when a male is eaten by the female. Pic is a Cyclosternum fasciatum embrace-they're doin' it, they're doin' it!
john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
...and here's the crunch!

At first I was like, "ah, are they still doin' it?" Shortly after, it was broken up.
john