My LP is here! Take a look!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
At 1st instar, it shouldn't be burrowing, and I don't think it can climb smooth vertical surfaces at all. It's probably still in there somewhere.
You should just put it in a very small container, keep it humid, have some moist coir/filter paper/paper towel as substrate and wait for it to molt before you do anything else.
The seller didn't tell you they were sending a first instar, or explained it at all?
That seems a bit irresponsible on their part.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
At 1st instar, it shouldn't be burrowing, and I don't think it can climb smooth vertical surfaces at all. It's probably still in there somewhere.
You should just put it in a very small container, keep it humid, have some moist coir/filter paper/paper towel as substrate and wait for it to molt before you do anything else.
The seller didn't tell you they were sending a first instar, or explained it at all?
That seems a bit irresponsible on their part.
Yeah I don't think it was burrowed, I think I just couldn't find it. lol My vision isn't picture perfect and having something THAT small is hard to see. I found it this morning though. =) I think I am going to go to the store again and buy something smaller and use paper towels. I don't think it can get around too well on the coco fiber.

And no she didn't say it was 1st instar. It just says on the site, .25" - .35". So by that I probably could have assumed but me being the person I am I over thought it and though well maybe it's just a real small one. I never thought it would be 1st instar. It's all good though, I think I can take care of it. I've been checking the humidity and such. The baby seems fine. Like I said I am going to get a smaller enclosure and use paper towel as substrate for now that way it doesn't hurt itself.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Baby food jar

I got a new container for the LP. Put some paper towel bits in there. I am going to moisten them in a second and put the little LP in it. Is it okay? I hope I am doing okay. The jar I think is perfect for it. Should I put a piece of fake plant in there too for hiding, or do they not care at 1st instar?

246475_337772859629510_100001903961655_67439713_1571168491_n.jpg

Here are more pictures, it looks wetter than it actually is in there. I'm sure it will dry out fast though, it's been pretty hot lately. Although today it's been nice.

It was tricky trying to get the little one into there but I managed.

318076_337781569628639_100001903961655_67439721_228832289_n.jpg
551135_337781712961958_1691333999_n.jpg
554377_337781832961946_100001903961655_67439724_1588080084_n.jpg

Tell me if it's okay or should I add something else? Anymore tips? I'm open to learn more. =)

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i personally would ditch the decor in there.. also, (not sure if this is good advice or not) i would swap out the towelette every 3-4 days or so. Moisture and heat , along with any additional objects (sling included) makes for a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and molds. It will be a bit of work, but who said this hobby HAS to be easy? Imagine caring for 2000 of these lil guys...

---------- Post added 05-18-2012 at 03:51 PM ----------

IMO , it would be better off in a home made incubator until it hits 2i .. lots of demonstrational vids here and youtube... Levi (crawltech) has an awesome vid or two posted around here somewhere

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I don't have the "decor" in there for myself to be happy with the enclosure lol I have it in there so the T has something to hide under, but if it is unneeded at this point I will take it out. Yeah I will definitely swap out the towels so nothing starts growing in there! Already have that problem with my Versi. But hopefully I've fixed that.

Heck, with only 3 tarantulas I think I can manage doing a little extra for this little guy/girl! lol

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
true, but there IS a reason most people wont even count 1i slings as successful. Mortality rate is a major factor. Sometimes a sack like Lp can contain upwards of 1000-2000 slings, and potentially end up with like 800 2i. (just an example)........ Again, i dont want to discredit the seller in any way, but i would still care for that sling the same way i would treat EWLS. they are extremely fragile at that state, and seeing how its an already paid for "pet" YOU cant afford to take a loss on the breeders/sellers decision.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
hmmm, well that I did not know. This is why I come on here, to learn. I didn't pay a lot for the sling but I was excited to get it and it would suck to lose it.

You don't think if I kept keeping it in the little jar with the moisture and all that it would make it? You think I should really setup an incubator?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im not saying you SHOULD or HAVE to, im just saying i personally would. I would also contact jaimie and ask her about it, and try to find out if she could possibly replace it SHOULD THE 1i SLING DIE ( and emphasize the underlined part)... From everything ive ever read about jaimie she is an AMAZING dealer, as well as hobbiest, so im sure she would work with ya .. should the worst happen

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Yeah well, I am learning from this experience so maybe it was good I bought a 1st instar. I just hope it doesn't die. I would be super bummed.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I , for one, got my fingers crossed for ya... it IS a Lp though lol.. i dont think these CAN die. I will be watching this thread closely

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She is a good dealer,quite easy to work with as well. We have never purchased from her,but she has bought hundreds of slings from us in the past.I would discuss this with her,personally.....And as far as incubation,take a SMALL deli cup,fill it halfway with moist peat/coir,and add the sling. You will NOT want much ventilation,our incubators see %100 humidity and I just open the lid every few days to change out any stale/stagnant air...That lil one looks like it has a WAYS before it molts to 2nd instar....And,as mentioned,there can be problems with that molt. I have lost a few hundred slings this year due to them becoming stuck and twisted in the exuvium attempting to make the big jump to 2i....hydration is the KEY.I learned the HARD way......Almost forgot to add,yank out the decor..It poses more risks than anyhting...

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
She is a good dealer,quite easy to work with as well. We have never purchased from her,but she has bought hundreds of slings from us in the past.I would discuss this with her,personally.....And as far as incubation,take a SMALL deli cup,fill it halfway with moist peat/coir,and add the sling. You will NOT want much ventilation,our incubators see %100 humidity and I just open the lid every few days to change out any stale/stagnant air...That lil one looks like it has a WAYS before it molts to 2nd instar....And,as mentioned,there can be problems with that molt. I have lost a few hundred slings this year due to them becoming stuck and twisted in the exuvium attempting to make the big jump to 2i....hydration is the KEY.I learned the HARD way......Almost forgot to add,yank out the decor..It poses more risks than anyhting...
Thanks, I will try and find a deli cup some where. I may have to order it so it may not come for a week or so. I can never find deli cups when I am looking in the stores. -.-

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
just go to the deli section at any safeway, albertsons, etc where they have the pre made pasta salads and such.. ask them for one nicely and im sure they would hook ya up. If youre asking them ALL THE TIME, they may refuse

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just use any deli cup, pill bottle, vial, condiment cup, any type of plastic container that is around 1 ounce.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I have some vials I can just put it in there but the trick is getting it in there safely. It doesn't matter if it's tall, right? I mean it's just a small little vial.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What i use when i put my 1st instar into vials, is a measuring spoon. The one i use is called a "pinch". Very small. Just use something small and similar, scoop up the sling, then lower it in.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Jamie just emailed me and informed me that the wrong LP's were sent out. I kind of had a feeling that was what happened. So it was a mistake that she sent the first instar.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, accidents CAN happen. That is cool that jaimie contacted you. Im wouldnt imagine she did that intentionally. She IS a highly reputable dealer and im assuming would never do that to make 2$ lol. I have never personally had the pleasure of ordering from her, but i WOULD love to get some Lp slings in my collection.