My L. parahybana doing what she does best ...eating

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here are a few pics of my girl eating...if this offends anyone I am sorry.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Was it able to eat ALL that? That's a pretty large meal...I just didn't think they'd eat that much...

tarandrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice:)

I can't wait 'til my L. Parahybana gets big enough to eat a fuzzy ^ ^.

I hate when people complain about feeder food.

And a lot of the people who complain about it also eat meat.

Tarantulas/other exotic pets kill their food in a more humane way than humans slaughter their cows, anyways:p.

P.S. does your L. Parahybana sleep almost on it's side? Mine does and it's quite funny to see. She looks almost human when she sleeps:p

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
don't think they sleep... should get all the rest they'll ever need just sitting in a little cage day after day doing nothing :? well, till it's time to eat! :D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Was it able to eat ALL that? That's a pretty large meal...I just didn't think they'd eat that much...
She could eat that and more if I gave it to her. she had (6) crickets and a adult deaths head cockroach (2) days before, and she is not fat. Imagine she could eat (3-4) a week if I gave it to her. The mouse in the picture is also not a fuzzy it is a juevenile (eyes open moving around).

Theonenoonenos

Arachnopeon
I really want a L. Parahybana. They are amazing Ts.

I was just wondering if they require high humidity or temp similar to that of the T. Blondi??

I really want to get a large T but the T. Blondi is too difficult for me to look after atm.

Also are these Ts good display animals and does any one handle they L. Parahybana??

Robc that is beautiful T!!

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Tarantulas/other exotic pets kill their food in a more humane way than humans slaughter their cows, anyways:p.

P.S. does your L. Parahybana sleep almost on it's side? Mine does and it's quite funny to see. She looks almost human when she sleeps:p
I don't have straight facts, but I would argue that since it takes feeders forever to die while in a T's fangs, it would be better to be a cow. Have you ever seen how long it takes a dubia to die by tarantula? Sometimes hours! I have no clue as to how long mice can last though.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm

I dont think they sleep just rest. They dont have eye lids. Then again some people sleep with there eyes open. They get into this "trance" like REM sleep but with their eyes open. Fish do it. They can't sleep they just rest. But this is just my guess.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do spiders actually sleep? :?
Not unless you expand the definition of sleep to cover any period of inactivity displayed by any living thing.

There are periods when they are more active or less active, but this hardly qualifies as sleep as displayed by animals with higher brain functions like mammals, fish, reptiles, etc.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She could eat that and more if I gave it to her. she had (6) crickets and a adult deaths head cockroach (2) days before, and she is not fat. Imagine she could eat (3-4) a week if I gave it to her. The mouse in the picture is also not a fuzzy it is a juevenile (eyes open moving around).
I was thinking that it looks like it must be a hopper or maybe bigger...I have snakes and order frozen thawed in bulk. Keep it next to the chicken! ;)

I knew they could eat a lot, but somehow I never thought that much! I have a L. difficilis and she eats a lot for her size (2-3" I don't have an exact measurement on her yet). So, I guess one day I'll be feeding her little mice, eh?

And, since it was brought up, how long did it take the mouse to die? That is a concern I would have feeding live to a tarantula, as the longer it is alive the longer it can cause harm. That is, unless you fed yours frozen thawed. I've been able to feed some of my tarantulas frozen thawed pinkies or fuzzies, and they accept them...so, for you guys worried about the dying of the mouse, you may try that route. However, some spiders won't take things that are already dead...but, it is worth a try!

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know you love posting pics Rob, but perhaps General forum isn't the correct one for these things. People tend to use the gallery, picture or other suitable forum for that.

Also, I bet it's the lighting, angle and all that, but that L.P doesn't really look like a L.P :eek:

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

You think being stunned followed by a single bolt to the head and instant death is less humane than venom injection by two huge needles and starting to get eaten while still alive? :?

cockroach52

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You think being stunned followed by a single bolt to the head and instant death is less humane than venom injection by two huge needles and starting to get eaten while still alive? :?
i think you should go to a slaughterhouse to see how things work. animals aren't exactly relaxing while being prepped

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Right, and the animals being eaten by our T's are totally relaxed {D

Anyway did I say they were? I'm not naive enough to think human food doesn't suffer, I'm just trying to put what I think is a faintly rediculous statement into perspective. I know which way I would rather die if given the choice.

Also I guess I only know how it's done here. Maybe in the US you do it differently.

cockroach52

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they're not relaxed, but our food are kept in crates for their entire lives.

short and brutal.

People beat dogs to death in the Philippines to soften the meat before eating.

Cats are skinned and then boiled alive for human consumption across Asia.

Throwing in a few baby mice isn't the end of the world.

-----

I feel bad for the mice myself, which is why I won't buy a python. Mammals and insects are two very different animals, I feel for mammals.

At the same time, I consume cattle and swine, and no large business cares about the treatment of their product, they care about the costs to get it large enough and then to the market.

Since I like burgers with bacon on top, I know I'd be a hypocrite complaining to anyone about serving a rodent to their pet which is a death that occurs in the wild.

Are you a vegan?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just to throw in my two cents...

I don't personally do it because I feel like mammals experience death in a completely different way than insects do. That, and I have pet rats as well.

That said, while I don't like it that people do it, I can't stop them, so I don't argue it because all it does is create problems.

Good pictures...although I did have a bit of an issue looking at them for too long.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was thinking that it looks like it must be a hopper or maybe bigger...I have snakes and order frozen thawed in bulk. Keep it next to the chicken! ;)

I knew they could eat a lot, but somehow I never thought that much! I have a L. difficilis and she eats a lot for her size (2-3" I don't have an exact measurement on her yet). So, I guess one day I'll be feeding her little mice, eh?

And, since it was brought up, how long did it take the mouse to die? That is a concern I would have feeding live to a tarantula, as the longer it is alive the longer it can cause harm. That is, unless you fed yours frozen thawed. I've been able to feed some of my tarantulas frozen thawed pinkies or fuzzies, and they accept them...so, for you guys worried about the dying of the mouse, you may try that route. However, some spiders won't take things that are already dead...but, it is worth a try!
About 10 seconds if that...not one squeak...she nails them in the head.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just to throw in my two cents...

I don't personally do it because I feel like mammals experience death in a completely different way than insects do. That, and I have pet rats as well.

That said, while I don't like it that people do it, I can't stop them, so I don't argue it because all it does is create problems.

Good pictures...although I did have a bit of an issue looking at them for too long.
I am honestly sorry if I offended you.:)