My jumping spider won't eat

Lightningpaw

Arachnopeon
So my Jumping Spider also won't seem to eat. It's been nearly 1.5 weeks and a cricket has been in the enclosure for nearly 4 days. The enclosure is just a modified beanie baby case that lifts up. Nomatter how many times I try to offer the cricket it won't take it.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
If your Jumpers are WC by you and won't eat in captivity, the best thing is to do IMO is to release them back where you found them. I've read many times of WC Jumpers having a really hard time adapting to captivity and refusing food completely.

If the spider is still really small, Pinhead crickets or Cricket legs from larger ones can also be offered, Mealworms, Wax Worms, House Flies (not WC), however I usually feed Green Bottle Fly to mine which I buy online sa casters and hatch when needed.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Also to add: Jumpers really love bright light, so if the place where their enclosure is is too dark then sometimes they won't eat either. Mine have bright LEDs above their enclosures and are thriving.

Lightningpaw

Arachnopeon
Also to add: Jumpers really love bright light, so if the place where their enclosure is is too dark then sometimes they won't eat either. Mine have bright LEDs above their enclosures and are thriving.
Actually my Jumping spider is Captive Bred. 1st Captive Bred Generation though. He has made a rather thick web on his enclosure though if that indicates anything. And he won't come out of it.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Actually my Jumping spider is Captive Bred. 1st Captive Bred Generation though. He has made a rather thick web on his enclosure though if that indicates anything. And he won't come out of it.
a thick web could indicate the spider is restless and trying to find somewhere else to stay, a picture of the spider on the setup would be very helpful here.

The wolf

Arachnolord
He has yes he won't leave the hide even if I present him with prey.
when did he last moult?
chances is hes in premoult and you have nothing to worry about, leave him be and maybe introduce a little bit more humidity, just a spritz every now and again.

(edit bc i realised i used basically every different pronoun i could think of for absolutely 0 reason)

Last edited:

Lightningpaw

Arachnopeon
I don't think he has moulted since I got him and he is still somewhat young from what I understand. So yeah that makes sense.

MamaTayto

Arachnopeon
I would avoid ants as feeders, even if you think they are free of parasites. Ants can bite. Some can also sting or spray formic acid. Additionally, most ants contain formic acid, which many predators find unpalatable.
I mean I guess you can avoid wild ants from your property but you can buy entire tubes of safe feeder ants online too. Pm me for details on that if you'd like.

I buy mealworms, flies, crickets, and ants online. And it also turns out all spiders will happily drink from chunks of fruit such as apple and watermelon for an amazing source of hydration.

I caught a wild female zebra yesterday. She has already made a nest but hasn't eaten yet. I will keep trying to feed her, but also thought her home might be a little small. So on pay day here in like 48 hours I'll be broke when I buy her an official oraboreal vertical habitat with a front door, spider dirt, and a few decorations.

Mine is so very curious and actually prefers being caught. I took the lid off and had her out multiple times yesterday after catching and she chose to back into the temporary container and chill at my feet.

I'm happy she is nesting but since she's only my second spider ever I am nervous about her not eating yet. No idea when she did eat last and all.

Update ~♡
My captured female zebra jumper has officially adapted and adjusted to her new outdoor captvie life. She has nested and is eating a fly right now. Screenshot_20220711-121431_YouTube.jpg

Probably molting and they won't eat until that is done

Last edited by a moderator: