My jumping spider won't eat

HamZ

Arachnosquire
2weeks ago i caught a 0.5cm jumping spider, that i haven't identified yet. It hasn't eaten in a week mainly because i couldn't find anything to feed it and now i have aphids, that it has taken before, it still wont eat. What do i do? Please help.

The wolf

Arachnolord
2weeks ago i caught a 0.5cm jumping spider, that i haven't identified yet. It hasn't eaten in a week mainly because i couldn't find anything to feed it and now i have aphids, that it has taken before, it still wont eat. What do i do? Please help.
I only ever feed my spiders once a week so I expect yours will be fine,I would advise feeding it non wild caught prey like flightless fruit flies or the sort to avoid parasites

HamZ

Arachnosquire
I only ever feed my spiders once a week so I expect yours will be fine,I would advise feeding it non wild caught prey like flightless fruit flies or the sort to avoid parasites
Thanks, that was very helpful, i heard it it could also be because of stress like having a small enclosure. So how large an enclosure would you recommend?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If it was a wild caught jumping spider, then it is going to be more of a picky eater. In the wild tiny jumping spiders will eat small insects, and tiny larvae of beetles (ladybug larvae) and termites believe it or not. As a kid I caught many and fed them ants from the wild. It was okay for me and I never worried about parasites as ants was so small that parasites couldn't possibly catch on to them. From observation of wild jumping spiders, they observe on prey more as tiny babies, but they learn how to hunt and what prey is an easy meal for them. I wouldn't really worry about it though, I think it will do fine. I feed mines once a week.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Thanks, that was very helpful, i heard it it could also be because of stress like having a small enclosure. So how large an enclosure would you recommend?
It depends on the species you could post a pic of the little guy and/or the enclosure

HamZ

Arachnosquire
If it was a wild caught jumping spider, then it is going to be more of a picky eater. In the wild tiny jumping spiders will eat small insects, and tiny larvae of beetles (ladybug larvae) and termites believe it or not. As a kid I caught many and fed them ants from the wild. It was okay for me and I never worried about parasites as ants was so small that parasites couldn't possibly catch on to them. From observation of wild jumping spiders, they observe on prey more as tiny babies, but they learn how to hunt and what prey is an easy meal for them. I wouldn't really worry about it though, I think it will do fine. I feed mines once a week.
Yeah mine is wild caught i feed it aphids and mosquito's.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I don't know how you can be too small for parisites as most are microscopic

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I don't know how you can be too small for parisites as most are microscopic
I personally never had a problem feeding ants and termites to young or little jumping spiders and iv'e done that for a long time now. It just works for me as people criticize that parasites are on all "wild caught feeders". Well here, where I live is mainly famous for its wildlife and regions. If you live where I live, it is an adventure to explore, especially summer.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I personally never had a problem feeding ants and termites to young or little jumping spiders and iv'e done that for a long time now. It just works for me as people criticize that parasites are on all "wild caught feeders". Well here, where I live is mainly famous for its wildlife and regions. If you live where I live, it is an adventure to explore, especially summer.
I agree with the overall statement as I occasionally feed my trues house flies as does @basin79, and he should know

basin79

ArachnoGod
I fed my jumpers flies although they where captive raised. I bought casters and let them hatch.

Jumpers will take much larger prey then they look like they'd manage.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I fed my jumpers flies although they where captive raised. I bought casters and let them hatch.

Jumpers will take much larger prey then they look like they'd manage.
That makes more sense now

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As a kid I caught many and fed them ants from the wild. It was okay for me and I never worried about parasites as ants was so small that parasites couldn't possibly catch on to them.
I would avoid ants as feeders, even if you think they are free of parasites. Ants can bite. Some can also sting or spray formic acid. Additionally, most ants contain formic acid, which many predators find unpalatable.

Foelix, Rainer. Biology of Spiders (p. 132).

Young jumping spiders (Phidippus) seem to learn to avoid ants. At first inexperienced spiderlings tackle ants but are quickly repelled by the ant's defense (bites, stings, formic acid). During later encounters with ants, the spiders always back away, probably because they remember their bad experiences (Edwards and Jackson, 1994).

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
okay well where i live we have these flies that look like craine flies but smaller and my jumper loves those other than that there are many flies and things that crowd lights at night. you could also pick up a flightless fruit fly culture at your local pets mart if it has them if not you can also buy them online

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
I tend to use the "smallish" medium plastic terrariums at petco and my jumping spiders love them.

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
hey you look like you know your stuff, so I caught a black jumping spider three days ago and it won't eat, it's smaller than my pinky nail, please help I've tried feeding it everything. ants, flys, moths both alive and dead for each one. but it still won't eat. please help I'm scared it's going to die. ant FYI the ants in new Zealand are really small. and I've even tried putting the spider and the prey in a smaller container so it would be easier for the spider to hunt it down but still nothing

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
hey you look like you know your stuff, so I caught a black jumping spider three days ago and it won't eat, it's smaller than my pinky nail, please help I've tried feeding it everything. ants, flys, moths both alive and dead for each one. but it still won't eat. please help I'm scared it's going to die. ant FYI the ants in new Zealand are really small. and I've even tried putting the spider and the prey in a smaller container so it would be easier for the spider to hunt it down but still nothing
This was a long time ago when I made that post so I disregard and changed my perspectives since then. I stopped trying to feed anything outside to any of my collections just to be extra safe. There are many threads discussing feeding baby jumpers and the most recommended is flightless fruit flies as it always work well even for small baby jumping spiders.

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
This was a long time ago when I made that post so I disregard and changed my perspectives since then. I stopped trying to feed anything outside to any of my collections just to be extra safe. There are many threads discussing feeding baby jumpers and the most recommended is flightless fruit flies as it always work well even for small baby jumping spiders.
so my family won't order things online and in New Zealand there aren't any flightless fruit flies, so I have no access to them, what do I do?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
so my family won't order things online and in New Zealand there aren't any flightless fruit flies, so I have no access to them, what do I do?
I can't say for sure to be honest. I'm not an expert on jumping spiders and I don't have all the answers. It would be helpful to start a new thread and ask the question as I'm sure there are people on this forums more experienced in this subject than I am. Hopefully they can help with a more proper answer.

Last edited:

a3idbxby

Arachnopeon
I can't say for sure to be honest. I'm not an expert on jumping spiders and I don't have all the answers. It would be helpful to start a new thread and ask the question as I'm sure there are people on this forums more experienced in this subject than I am. Hopefully they can help with a more proper aswer.
thank you so much :)