My jumping spider can't catch food

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Elaborate? I am interested in learning more about mygalomorphs.
For example I have kept a Dolomedes triton. Once this spider became a full mature female it no longer continued to molt. It stayed in that state until it’s death. A mygalomorph on the other hand will reach maturity and continue molting until death. So a Aphonopelma chalcodes does not reach maturity at 25 years old, it just will molt continually after maturity. There are certain exceptions to Araneomorphs such as the Kukulcania genus or Sicarius genus. That’s is my understanding @AphonopelmaTX can you share more detail on this and correct me if I’m wrong

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
For example I have kept a Dolomedes triton. Once this spider became a full mature female it no longer continued to molt. It stayed in that state until it’s death. A mygalomorph on the other hand will reach maturity and continue molting until death. So a Aphonopelma chalcodes does not reach maturity at 25 years old, it just will molt continually after maturity. There are certain exceptions to Araneomorphs such as the Kukulcania genus or Sicarius genus. That’s is my understanding @AphonopelmaTX can you share more detail on this and correct me if I’m wrong
There is not much to correct here, although I'm not sure what " ... Aphonopelma chalcodes does not reach maturity at 25 years old, it just will molt continually after maturity" means. Sexual maturity in female tarantulas does occur at a specific stage of growth, but determining that stage is nearly impossible without experience comparing the size and shape of the spermathecae with immature stages or directly observing a mating event. Though, there are so many nuances in this that it would take all day to cover. Any molt occurring after sexual maturity is considered the post-ultimate molt. Difficulty in determining sexual maturity, or the ultimate molt, within the Araneomorphae in a group called the haplogynes can also occur for the same reason as the mygales. There are no hardened genital structures that can be observed on the outside of the female body, the epigyne, to confirm the ultimate molt. Although in the haplogyne spiders, the ultimate molt of females can be guessed with reasonable accuracy because they are typically much smaller than the mygales and people will typically only see them in the ultimate instar.

I tried doing a search of primary and secondary literature to find a list of some kind that has all spider groups, both within the Mygalmorphae and Araneomorphae, where post-ultimate molts occurred and couldn't find any. All I was able to find were vague statements that post-ultimate molts are rare in spiders and the only group mentioned to definitely have them are the tarantulas, but there are definitely araneomorph spiders that do have post-ultimate molts. Essentially I wasn't able to find anything that everyone didn't already know. Although in my search, I did find that within the arachnids, the amblypygids are the only ones where all species continue to molt past sexual maturity, but the article I read was vague on whether that was for both males and females, or just females. Either way, it was new info to me. :)

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
There is not much to correct here, although I'm not sure what " ... Aphonopelma chalcodes does not reach maturity at 25 years old, it just will molt continually after maturity" means. Sexual maturity in female tarantulas does occur at a specific stage of growth, but determining that stage is nearly impossible without experience comparing the size and shape of the spermathecae with immature stages or directly observing a mating event. Though, there are so many nuances in this that it would take all day to cover. Any molt occurring after sexual maturity is considered the post-ultimate molt. Difficulty in determining sexual maturity, or the ultimate molt, within the Araneomorphae in a group called the haplogynes can also occur for the same reason as the mygales. There are no hardened genital structures that can be observed on the outside of the female body, the epigyne, to confirm the ultimate molt. Although in the haplogyne spiders, the ultimate molt of females can be guessed with reasonable accuracy because they are typically much smaller than the mygales and people will typically only see them in the ultimate instar.

I tried doing a search of primary and secondary literature to find a list of some kind that has all spider groups, both within the Mygalmorphae and Araneomorphae, where post-ultimate molts occurred and couldn't find any. All I was able to find were vague statements that post-ultimate molts are rare in spiders and the only group mentioned to definitely have them are the tarantulas. So I wasn't able to find anything that everyone didn't already know. Although in my search, I did find that within the arachnids, the amblypygids are the only ones where all species continue to molt past sexual maturity, but the article I read was vague on whether that was for both males and females, or just females. Either way, it was new info to me. :)
That’s interesting.
So it is very hard to determine sexual maturity and post ultimate molt
thought all if not many mygalomorph given there long lifespan would molt past maturity. Thank you for your insight 😁

Last edited:

papillon251

Arachnopeon
So, my male had his last molt about month ago. He still has problems with eating most of insect. He did once take a blue bottle fly, but from then on, he is just eating fruit flies. He is active and acting normal but does anyone know if it is normal for adults to eat just fruit flies.
I also wanted to pair him with female but he is much smaller than her so do you think I should not do it?

Attachments

Storii

Arachnopeon
But he is not ignoring it, he just can't catch it, even a dead insect. He always jumps at it but misses it.
Why isnt he able to just walk up to the dead prey as he shouldnt have to jump to catch it if it laying in front of him?

papillon251

Arachnopeon
He never walks to it for some reason, always jumps. He is now adult and still has the same problem. It is whole operation when it comes to feeding him. He is very cute but also very clumsy :).

Storii

Arachnopeon
He never walks to it for some reason, always jumps. He is now adult and still has the same problem. It is whole operation when it comes to feeding him. He is very cute but also very clumsy :).
That's funny I actually received a clumsy jumper 2 days ago. I'm trying to figure him out.he does seem to have had a bad molt on his back left leg as it is bent very inward...I've been wondering if that's why all the fuss. He makes web trails everywhere as usual and seems to trip over his own webbing all day long. I've had 5 regal jumpers, 2 currently and this 3rd guy that has the leg prob is not regal hes the apalachicola regal "varient" which I have no clue what that means. Cant figure if its him or his variant nature but he hasn't fed either. Offered small cricket and fruit flies. I guess well find out soon if hes gonna be a crazy eater as I suspect. My adult female will eat a medium cricket 4 days in a row so I am not used to this "not eating" by any means. So how do you feed your guy in case I need some tips lol. TYIA

papillon251

Arachnopeon
I think it is connected to legs, I think some of them are just clumsy haha. What I learned is that if they are bad at catching food, definitely don't even give them crickets. Mine got scared of them every time, even if they were dead. Right now I am feeding him with fly larvae, blue bottle flies and mealworms. If he is having trouble catching it, I kill them and leave them for a few hours. If he doesn't figure it out and has trouble with it, I usually cut them and pick up juices with a q-tip. Then I put it in front of him, like when I am giving him water with a q-tip and that is usually when he starts eating it. Then I wait for next week hoping he will catch it hahha. Hope this helps you! :happy:

Storii

Arachnopeon
I think it is connected to legs, I think some of them are just clumsy haha. What I learned is that if they are bad at catching food, definitely don't even give them crickets. Mine got scared of them every time, even if they were dead. Right now I am feeding him with fly larvae, blue bottle flies and mealworms. If he is having trouble catching it, I kill them and leave them for a few hours. If he doesn't figure it out and has trouble with it, I usually cut them and pick up juices with a q-tip. Then I put it in front of him, like when I am giving him water with a q-tip and that is usually when he starts eating it. Then I wait for next week hoping he will catch it hahha. Hope this helps you! :happy:
Wow that IS a process...you weren't kidding😱...I think my new guy is actually in premolt he made a thick web and wont come out so hopefully after that he will ear normally..God bless you and your patience my lord lol

papillon251

Arachnopeon
Wow that IS a process...you weren't kidding😱...I think my new guy is actually in premolt he made a thick web and wont come out so hopefully after that he will ear normally..God bless you and your patience my lord lol
I hope it all goes well!!

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's funny I actually received a clumsy jumper 2 days ago. I'm trying to figure him out.he does seem to have had a bad molt on his back left leg as it is bent very inward...I've been wondering if that's why all the fuss. He makes web trails everywhere as usual and seems to trip over his own webbing all day long. I've had 5 regal jumpers, 2 currently and this 3rd guy that has the leg prob is not regal hes the apalachicola regal "varient" which I have no clue what that means. Cant figure if its him or his variant nature but he hasn't fed either. Offered small cricket and fruit flies. I guess well find out soon if hes gonna be a crazy eater as I suspect. My adult female will eat a medium cricket 4 days in a row so I am not used to this "not eating" by any means. So how do you feed your guy in case I need some tips lol. TYIA
There is no such thing as an "Appalachian" variant of regius. They only occur in Florida and the borders of surrounding states like Georgia. They do not occur in the Appalachians. So whoever sold you that is making stuff up.

AmazingNature

Arachnopeon
My Phiddipus regius NF reached mature size few weeks ago. He took few meals, but last week and half won't. It dosen't look like he doesn't want to eat but he just can't catch even dead insect. I tried with different insects and different sizes but he always jumps and then misses it. His body got really srinked and I don't know what is the problem. They have led lights above them, so light and temperature is not the problem and the other spider is acting normaly.

I just read somewhere that you could give them honey with water. I tried that with q-tip and he seems to like it.
males eat less often than females esp. after last molt-also see this-you mentioned fluorescents

copy search this
Seeing green helps spiders perfect jump › News in Science (ABC Science)

AmazingNature

Arachnopeon
also try things smaller than him
-ive raised over 50 jumpers and bred released them
and 6 eggsacs worth of babies to adult
in last 3 1/2 years
#1-males
ALMOST always 'more skittish' but there are few exceptions
my guy boris comes to my hand WHENEVER i open his enclosure-and is conetent to explore-i.e. not afraid of me
alot babies daredevil/bungee or 'nope'
right back off the hand
idk if its temp diff or what

#2-males will eat less then females(they dont need to get ready for toll making eggs takes)
so use energy to hunt for females to mate
(BUT always feed as much as all male/female babies until full molt want/will eat;

(and to spare you I wont go into my research findings on lifespan between hot climate and overwintering spiders lifespan
also research including feeding and amounts and correlations in adults lifespan here though

Storii

Arachnopeon
There is no such thing as an "Appalachian" variant of regius. They only occur in Florida and the borders of surrounding states like Georgia. They do not occur in the Appalachians. So whoever sold you that is making stuff up.
No one said "appalachian" thank you and yes there IS an apalachicola variant of regal

Storii

Arachnopeon
No one said "appalachian" thank you and yes there IS an apalachicola variant of regal
And again YES phiddipus Regius is everywhere in the world except Antarctica so I'm sure the "appalachians" have them too 😉

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And again YES phiddipus Regius is everywhere in the world except Antarctica so I'm sure the "appalachians" have them too 😉
Lol bro they aren't everywhere in the world. I was wrong about the apalachicola thing but P regius specifically only occurs around the southeast US and the Bahamas. They're introduced to Easter Island, surprisingly. But no, jumping spiders do occur in most places in the world, but not regius.