My Huge CB T. blondi

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think there's a good chance that the whole mouse/bad molt issue may have a lot to do with what the mice are fed, not just the makeup of the mouse itself...but I'd rather feed roaches than mice...just a personal preference. I do agree that a lot more research needs to be done. I know know from my experience that the T's I've purchased that had been previously fed a diet that consisted of a lot of mice, had problems molting - again, just my experience.
i wonder if mice at anypoint are subject to insecticides (i guess mice farming facilities are pretty suspect to various parasites)

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok then.....end of fight. Bertha is biggest in northeast, Zilla is largest where ever she hales from, no correlation between calcium and bad molts. Let's get on with our lives.

Herguy, what was Bertha eating a majority of the time?
Steve, Bertha has been feeding almost exclusively on rodents.
Blondi's in particular are known to not have many molting problems from too many mice, it is speculated that they consume a large amount of vertebrates in the wild.
-Dave

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok then.....end of fight. Bertha is biggest in northeast, Zilla is largest where ever she hales from, no correlation between calcium and bad molts. Let's get on with our lives.

Herguy, what was Bertha eating a majority of the time?
I agree :D I wasn't fighting either were you....all good!!! on with the original posts :D

Rob

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's good! I love blondi's so much. There is still so much for us to learn, as people have not been keeping these properly for long enough for us to totally understand them.
-Dave

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Herpguy is right, though. Blondis have been found to consume many vertebrates but they consume many small reptiles and amphibians, I am sure rodents fit in there also. To back up rob, Roaches probably have more nutritional value to a T.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Herpguy is right, though. Blondis have been found to consume many vertebrates but they consume many small reptiles and amphibians, I am sure rodents fit in there also. To back up rob, Roaches probably have more nutritional value to a T.
I agree....also the mice Blondi's eat in the wild are eating have a total differen't diet than a petshop fed mouse. When I mentioned earlier about not feeding mice too often - I wasn't referring to Blondis alone, I was referring to all T's....the ones I've run into molting issues with the most have been P. Fasciata and P. Regalis...so maybe it's more of a genus thing in regards to mice.

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, if you think about it how often is an arboreal T going to capture vertebrate prey? Besides the occasional nestling bird.
When Ts are fed unrealistic diets is when problems occur.
-Dave

Pokerplayer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have the answer to the mice vs Roaches fed 2 blondis.

First u feed the mice Roaches, then feed the Blondi the mice.
The feederRoaches were ofcause fed dead mice and before the mice were killed to be fed, the were given Roaches and so on :)

Problem solved :?

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree....also the mice Blondi's eat in the wild are eating have a total differen't diet than a petshop fed mouse. When I mentioned earlier about not feeding mice too often - I wasn't referring to Blondis alone, I was referring to all T's....the ones I've run into molting issues with the most have been P. Fasciata and P. Regalis...so maybe it's more of a genus thing in regards to mice.
This is also true. Mice in a petshop get a very calcium rich diet while mice in the wild may not get much calcium at all.

herpguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, because in almost all cases extra calcium is good, as pet shop mice are meant primarily for herps.
-Dave

indigoeyes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your blondi is beautiful! My 8+ incher "Hera" was fed strictly pet shop mice and seemed to really thrive on that diet. If I tried to throw her roaches or crix, she would look at me as if to say, "You're kidding, right?" and never touch them.