My Greenbottle Blue seems displeased.

Cereal Box

Arachnopeon
You all use the binomial nomenclature on this forum, right? I think the scientific name is something like Chromateopelma Cyaneopubescense? Anyway, when I first moved the spiderling into her new home she seemed plenty happy and spun web all over the place. But I went and changed her substrate into something more suitable (vermiculite/peat) and since she seems really lazy and hasn't spun much web. She still has an appetite though. Is something wrong or is this just a normal fluctuation in behavior?

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i only got my greenbottle blue last night so i really can't comment on the behavior of this particular species, but i've found with my other T's that any sort of substrate change usually results in a bit of stress. Give it a bit of time and it should be webbing again :)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i only got my greenbottle blue last night so i really can't comment on the behavior of this particular species, but i've found with my other T's that any sort of substrate change usually results in a bit of stress. Give it a bit of time and it should be webbing again :)
tarantulas usually always act differently when their enclosure is bothered such as replacting substrate, water, etc so once they get use to it, your GBB will go back to doing what it normally does when its ready. no worries

Cereal Box

Arachnopeon
Just a little concerned about my babies is all. My other spiders got used to the substrate change within a day and a half. This guy seems determined to be stressed out for going on the fourth day.

I was thinking the substrate might have altered the humidity or the amount of heat it retained or something along those lines. I'll give him more time.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just a little concerned about my babies is all. My other spiders got used to the substrate change within a day and a half. This guy seems determined to be stressed out for going on the fourth day.

I was thinking the substrate might have altered the humidity or the amount of heat it retained or something along those lines. I'll give him more time.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. GBB's like low humidity. If I don't dry out my substrate before I put my GBB in, it acts odd till it dries out. Just give it a chance for the humidity to lower and I'm sure your GBB will be fine.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Four days really isn't that long.

Although, I wouldn't use vermiculite in my GBB's enclosure because it holds too much moisture. I use straight peat because it seems to not retain as much moisture. High humidity has been proven to cause some problems with this species.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
go with the peat as i think vermiculite is crap and will not have it in any of my -T - tanks ;) :) <.><.> phil