My Gravid Androctonus Amoreuxi

RMLeone

Arachnosquire
My girl is getting so big now. Hopefully she won't eat her babies like my last brood.

Androctonus Amoreuxi captive born are almost non existing. (I've never seen a CB) of course that doesn't mean there haven't been or are. I'm hoping to be able to eventually have babies that are CB.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My girl is getting so big now. Hopefully she won't eat her babies like my last brood.

Androctonus Amoreuxi captive born are almost non existing. (I've never seen a CB) of course that doesn't mean there haven't been or are. I'm hoping to be able to eventually have babies that are CB.
I never understood why they sometimes they eat the babies for no good reason how do they survive in the wild ? I’ve never bred scorps though… haven’t had one in ages .

adam james

Arachnosquire
I never understood why they sometimes they eat the babies for no good reason how do they survive in the wild ? I’ve never bred scorps though… haven’t had one in ages .
Since they are so successful at surviving, it must be something that they only really do when the young are destined for death. Or maybe something that only happens with any amount of frequency in captivity?
The "no good reason" really just means something we have yet to discover the answer to. Maybe its something that makes the scorpions survival instinct feel that chances are low for the success of the offspring, and she should try to regain her lost nutrition/strength and try again later when it may be better timing.

RMLeone

Arachnosquire
Sometimes they stress eat or it could be perhaps she knew something we don't quite understand. I've raised rats before and Sometimes the mother would eat her babies. So maybe they know the offspring are defective and won't survive. Perhaps she was lacking nutritional needs. I know I'm not the only keeper/breeder who has anxiously awaited a new brood only to walk in and see mom munching on her babies. Currently she is refusing food, probably too full for an appetite. I offer her food weekly regardless, but as August draws near I'll stop as the food can add stress to the mom. Hoping this year is more successful than last.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sometimes they stress eat or it could be perhaps she knew something we don't quite understand. I've raised rats before and Sometimes the mother would eat her babies. So maybe they know the offspring are defective and won't survive. Perhaps she was lacking nutritional needs. I know I'm not the only keeper/breeder who has anxiously awaited a new brood only to walk in and see mom munching on her babies. Currently she is refusing food, probably too full for an appetite. I offer her food weekly regardless, but as August draws near I'll stop as the food can add stress to the mom. Hoping this year is more successful than last.
I can only assume that it’s wild instincts and they have no idea unlimited food is available in captivity so either they are wiping out the young for this reason or something unknown to science .suprising mammal would be so barbaric.

RMLeone

Arachnosquire
I can only assume that it’s wild instincts and they have no idea unlimited food is available in captivity so either they are wiping out the young for this reason or something unknown to science .suprising mammal would be so barbaric.
There's so much about the animal kingdom that we don't know and are still learning. They have senses we don't and they are highly tuned for survival. I know sometimes when pairing scorpions if the female senses the male is incompatible, she may simply kill and eat him. Scorpions as a whole aren't studied as well as other animals, some species we know very little about. A friend of mine does research on the venom for biomedical.

Crom

Arachnosquire
There have been some captive broods, but not many. I have a CB subadult female

Androctonus is just a more difficult genus to reproduce in captivity in general

RMLeone

Arachnosquire
Androctonus is just a more difficult genus to reproduce in captivity in general
Yeah they seem to be difficult especially for the lesser known Androctonus. Many I do see are wild caught. Hopefully with luck she won't eat her babies this go around. I'd really love to see more captive breeding programs so we can keep our beautiful animals free and thriving. So far she is doing well and staying in her cave. I'd expect babies near end of July or August. Hopefully I'll see many healthy babies on her back.