my genic's love life is getting complicated...

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well here is an update on my a. geniculata's lovelife:

i got a male and i tried to breed him with my 5.5-6" female. he's been mature for a year now, but i got him for free and thought i might as well give it a shot.

first attempt, she jumped at him and tried to eat him - yay to my tongs :rolleyes:

i fed her once again, though she had been fed a lot before the mating attempt. good lord, i swear her butt shows up on the city map now! and i tried once more.

this time, the female was still not what i'd call friendly, but a male with a bit of courage would have had a good chance with her. she approached him pretty agressively, but did not try to bite him. however he got all panicky and jumped all over her tank... of course she got pissed pretty quickly.

so what now? should i feed her once more and try again? is this normal behaviour for a. geniculata males? unlike p. regalis and some other pokie males he didn't do that 'drum-and-run' thingy but totally panicked. never had that before with a male of any species :?.

any tips and tricks?

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Your female may not be ready to breed, lot to debate as at what % of adult size is the female sexually mature.

Is it possibly to "shark tank" the male with the female, it may help them get used to each other. (shark tank, i.e. put the male in a smaller enclosure thats in the females enclosure) Or at least stick the two enclosures side by side.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think i'll try the shark tank thing - never had resort to that until now. i'm pretty sure she is ready to breed, she's nearly/about 6". i know they get large, but i've seen smaller genics produce sacs...

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
another update

well, so far, so bad. i tried the shark tanking method, and all that happened was that the female tried to get at him through the plastic because he went frantic once he sensed her near him.
she can't be hungry, she's so fat now she looks about to burst. oh well, i guess they are just not made for each other. so i think i'll pass him on... i had females not build sacs before, but never a pair of ts that just couldn't be mated... i think i tried about 10 times, and it always ended with the male running for his life... :wall:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, so far, so bad. i tried the shark tanking method, and all that happened was that the female tried to get at him through the plastic because he went frantic once he sensed her near him.
she can't be hungry, she's so fat now she looks about to burst. oh well, i guess they are just not made for each other. so i think i'll pass him on... i had females not build sacs before, but never a pair of ts that just couldn't be mated... i think i tried about 10 times, and it always ended with the male running for his life... :wall:

Maybe your male is really ugly ? It happens. Don't be discouraged. Put him up for a breeding loan.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try try try again. I have had many pairs before where it looked like they were never going to see eye to eye and get down to business...... however I really do believe they have moods regarding sex.

Just keep trying to pair them, once every few days. Sometimes even more then once in an evening. I have had times where the female or the male was not interested the first time I set them up, but the second time a few hours later they were soul mates. They can be tricky. Just be patient and keep on protecting him from getting munched.