My First Tityus

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am trying to look the information up. But recently am internetting in the library because my internet at home isnt working. so it may take awhile. I believe they use the same species of mice with the same weight. they use intravenous rout.Subcutanous (the most accurate measurement i believe) intramusculair and intrportional (or something)But by the number of mortalities i guess that A.A. and Centruroides suffusus, noxius. Would be more dangerous to human.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here it is http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2081.htm
The venom output of androctonus is not mentioned here. I must have read that somewhere else that is had an out put of 1. 1.5. Just as some buthus species as reported in this information.
By the way it is written by David Cheng

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They do not use mouse from same breeding stock. I've read several place that there can be differences in the mouse that lead to different values. If everyone who has done these tests, did it in the exactly same way, the values from different sources should be aproxomatly the same.

ChupaChup

Arachnopeon
Really nice looking scorp :) , would love to see a good close up from the tail

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kaos said:
They do not use mouse from same breeding stock. I've read several place that there can be differences in the mouse that lead to different values. If everyone who has done these tests, did it in the exactly same way, the values from different sources should be aproxomatly the same.
Quite right, even using the same test conditions unless its the same mouse then theres still a major source of error.

Intresting article, thanks. There again the LD50 values are only different by approx. 0.2mg/kg not enough to really separate them in terms of danger to humans, at least no in my book :). The venom yield datas interesting too, although it is via electrical stimulation.

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
Intresting article, thanks. There again the LD50 values are only different by approx. 0.2mg/kg not enough to really separate them in terms of danger to humans, at least no in my book :). The venom yield datas interesting too, although it is via electrical stimulation.
Ya exactly, so both A.australis and Tityus sp should be kept with the same care...both can do the same damage...

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
errit said:
...But by the number of mortalities i guess that A.A. and Centruroides suffusus, noxius. Would be more dangerous to human.
Hi,

I wouldn´t say T. serrulatus is less dangerous. Lourenco & Cuellar talk about 6000 stings with over 100 deaths in Brazil were reported during a three-year period. And this statistic is nearly ten years old. As the population of T. serrulatus is spreading rapidly a lot of more deaths should occur these days. T. serrulatus is called the most lethal scorpion of South-America in several papers.

Furtheron the injection of an anti-serum is only recommended in stings of species which cause systemic reactions like Tityus spp and some Centruroides spp. nowadays.

Unfortunately I don´t know any citations for statistics of sting reports for A. australis. Would be great if one could give some.

Interesting papers on scorpionism by T. serrulatus are:

LOURENCO W.R. & O. CUELLAR (1995): Scorpions, scorpionism, life history strategies and parthenogenesis – Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins 1: 51-62

SPIRANDELI-CRUZ E.F., WINTHER-YASSUDA C.R., JIM J. & B. BARRAVIERA (1999): The program for controlling the scorpion Tityus serrulatus, Lutz and Mello 1922, in Aparecida, Sao Paulo State, Brazil (Scorpiones, Buthidae) – Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins 5(1): 119-119

TORRES J.B., MARQUES M.G.B., MARTINI R.K. & C.V.A. BORGES (2002): An accident involving Tityus serrulatus and its epidemiological implications in Brazil - Revista Saúde Pública 36(5): 631-633 (unfortunately in Spanish but with english abstract)

VON EICKSTEDT V.R.D., RIBEIRO L.A., CANDIDO D.M., ALBUQUERQUE M. J. & M.T. JORGE (1996): Evolution of scorpionism by Tityus bahiensis (Perty) and Tityus serrulatus Lutz and Mello and geographical distribution of the two species in the state of Sao Paulo,Brazil – Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins 2(2): 92-105

Greetings
Alex

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heres the best papers I've read on A.australis scorpionism they contain some data on stings/results:
D.Hammoudi-Triki et al., Epidemiological data, clinical admission gradation and biological quantification by ELISA of scorpion envenomations in Algeria: effect of immunotherapy, T. Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 240—250, 2004

M.N.Krifi et al., Development of an Elisa for the detection of scorpion venoms in sera of humans envenomed by androctonus australis garzonii (AAG) and buthus occitanus tunetanus (BOT): correlation with clinical severity of envenoming in Tunisia, Toxicon, Volume 36, Issue 6, June 1998, Pages 887-900.

And some others not so relevant but interesting:

M. EL AYEB, POLYMORPHISM AND QUANTITATIVE VARIATIONS OF TOXINS IN THE VENOM OF THE SCORPION ANDROCTONUS AUSTRALIS HECTOR,Toxicon, Vol. 73, 733-760, 1983

S. Azek et al., Peritoneal dialysis in scorpion sting (192 cases), Toxicon, Volume 34, Issue 2, February 1996, Page 156.

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Theres some more but the citation generator is messing up. :mad:

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LD50 test have been done by serveral people. so there are several different test. even though the values are pretty much the same. if A.A. scores lower 5 times out of 5 test (don't know exactly how many tests have been taken just an example) then it probably would be safe to assume it has a more potent venom at least among mice.
But also the venom strength can differ among the same species used in different tests.
Tityus serrulatus is the most venemous scorpion in south america. But Mexico belongs to Central America.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

thanks a lot for the citations! Very nice.

Greetings
Alex

Lars Butcher

Arachnopeon
Man,

Just catching up on some old threads. Sounds like an interesting species. Assuming I ever come across one, whats the usual pricetag? High I'm guessing if their that rare.

~Lars